Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 7:55:41 AM EDT

What I want to do is buy this revolver:

And somehow make the hammer internal like this one:

Can it be done? If so, where, and for how much money?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
No, it can't be done without making up a new frame and that would cost BIG bucks.  What you could do is have the revolver converted to double action only where they'd bob off the hammer and take out the single action notch on the hammer. Are you trying to "court proof" this gun? Why would you want to have a DA only 44Mag., it would be better to keep the SA for longer/more accurate shots that you might have to take.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I'd like to get this and use it as a CCW and also for back-up while bear hunting.

If it was for CCW I would probably use .44 S&W Special, I think .44 Mag would have some overpenetration problems even with a self defense round like Hydra-Shok, Right?
I don't know.

That's pretty much why I need it, also to fulfill my need for a big ass revolver.

[Edited] Forgot to say, I want the internal hammer so it will be one less thing to get caught on my shirt if I were to draw it.

That and if I were to get into a real close fight (god forbid) if I had the external hammer, it can be held down by somebody holding onto it. It would also keep dirt out.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not just buy the .357? It is want you want and in a better size and caliber for CCW.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I would bob the hammer and have the top edge checkered in 30 or 20 LPI checkering. So it still could be used in the single action mode. I would also change the sights to a more low profile design.
You know that is an air lite right? Thats gona kick like a mule in .44 mag!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why not just buy the .357? It is want you want and in a better size and caliber for CCW.
View Quote

I would, but I want the option for bear-Back up.
Is the .44 Mag too big a caliber for a CCW. I'd be worried about overpenetration.

I know it is an Air Lite, handgun recoil just dosen't bother me, Big rifles on the other hand are another story!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:I know it is an Air Lite, handgun recoil just dosen't bother me
View Quote

Maybe not for a couple shots at a time, but you really need to practice with your carry gun, and that means a lot of shooting.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not just do this:

[img]http://www.supercharger.net/private/625-3.jpg[/img]

Or contact CDNN and buy a S&W 296 which is an L-frame 5-shot 44 Special with a shrouded hammer. They didn't sell well at an MSRP of $789 and CDNN was closing them out at $349.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I would recommend shooting both of these before buying either.

I have shot 3 rounds through the 329. It was a little stout, but not unmanagable.

I have not shot the .357, but I know 3 people who bought one and promptly sold them at a loss because the recoil was simply brutal.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:17:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw a add on shroud somewhere in the past. These little guns are a pretty good handful to shoot, 38+p in the Airweight makes my hand hurt after a few cyl. down the barrel. They are tough though, the S&W rep told me to put 10,000  and then see if it was still ok. Maybe some day I will try a 357 on this frame.
[usa]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Shouldn't someone be along here about the sellout? I'd just bob the hammer as mentioned before.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless you plan to shoot watered down 44 special loads through this thing, you really may want to reconsider this project.  I like bit bore revolvers as much as the next guy (have a ruger 45 colt I like to puch 310 grain bullets at 1300 fps), but the recoil on an ultra-light revolver isn't a push like most big bores...rather it more like a violent snap.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]
40 years ago it was common to see detective specials with shrouded hammers for concealed carry. They had a standard hammer but the shroud, which screwed to the frame, covered all but the very tip if the hammer spur. Maybe a smith coulf fabricate and install a hammer shroud for you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yea, I'd like to get this and use it as a CCW and also for back-up while bear hunting.

If it was for CCW I would probably use .44 S&W Special, I think .44 Mag would have some overpenetration problems even with a self defense round like Hydra-Shok, Right?
I don't know.

That's pretty much why I need it, also to fulfill my need for a big ass revolver.

[Edited] Forgot to say, I want the internal hammer so it will be one less thing to get caught on my shirt if I were to draw it.

That and if I were to get into a real close fight (god forbid) if I had the external hammer, it can be held down by somebody holding onto it. It would also keep dirt out.

View Quote

I recommend getting the best gun for CCW.  It may not be ideal for back-up while bear hunting but its better than nothing.  Then as soon as you can afford it get a Ruger Super Redhawk for back-up while bear hunting.

[img]http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/169L.gif[/img]

Shok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top