Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2003 9:48:21 PM EDT
Seriously the big thing that hinders my shooting habit besides getting sundays off is ammo.  No one is willing to ship to Hawaii.  Prices here are bad at best.  I usually wait till one of the local stores goes on sale and buy a few cases, but the prices online still beat local sale prices hands down.  I keep hearing about all you guys buying bulk.  I wish ammoman would ship here but his disclaimer says no Hawaii.  Other online venders are the same.  I do not reload or shoot competition.  Can any one help?

I curently stock

12 gauge
9mm
45ACP
223 rem or 5.56 NATO
lots and lots of 22LR
maybe some russian stuff, looking for a good AK that is cheep to feed and fun to play with
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are able to get reloading supplies, it may be in your best interest to begin. Being cutoff from supplies, you are pretty well screwed.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Hawaii and have the same problem, Section Leader.  I've looked everywhere and have found only a few places willing to ship to Hawaii.  I think you'll find, as I have, that even if you find someone willing, the cost will probably be more than or equal to what you will pay for ammo on sale here.  

The best deals I have found are at Sports Authority on Ward.  You have to watch for their advertisement in the Sunday Honolulu Advertiser.  It is a national advertisement so they don't post that there is a sale going on in the store itself.  The people behind the gun counter rarely know about it either.  I am usually the one to inform them of it - and then I proceed to clean out their entire stock.  A year ago, during the autumn bird hunting season on the mainland, there was a small ad in their Sunday paper insert for 12 ga #9 game shells, which happen to be just perfect for skeet shooting.  Anyway, I took the paper down there with me because I knew they would know nothing about it.  The guy behind the counter was clueless so I showed him the ad.  He said he didn't think it was applicable to the Hawaii stores.  I told him to get the manager.  Manager looked at the ad, saw that nowhere on it did it exclude Hawaii, and told his employee to honor it.  He asked how many boxes I wanted.  I asked how many [b]cases[/b] he had.  I told him I'd take every one of the 8 cases he had. [:)]  

Same thing happened this spring, when the White Box Winchester .223 went on sale for $3.99.  YIPPIE!!!  I'll take 7 of those 500 round cases at that price, thank you.

Sports Authority has been like a godsend in combating our overly high priced ammo.  The local gun stores know that there is no other way of getting ammo cheaply here so they screw us some more.  

Do you shop at Magnum Firearms on Queen Street?  I find his prices to be the highest of them all - not to mention what an absolute asshole the owner of the shop is.  Please do me a favor by not buying a thing from them.

On the way out to the Koko Head range there is a shop nears Roy's Restaurant called Windward Gun Shop, I think it only says "WGS" on the shop because the owner doesn't want to advertise that there is a gun shop in our ridiculously anti-gun island.  WGS has some pretty resonable prices, by Hawaii standards.  The owner and his one employee are very nice as well.  His .22 bricks are cheap, but because he is so close to the only public range on the island, he is sometimes out of more demanded ammo.

I wish you luck in your quest to find some reasonably priced ammo, you'll need it.  I have been looking for cheap ammo here for over a decade, and it is almost hopeless.  If you find a way to get ammo to the islands cheaply, please let me know.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds to me like y'all need to buy a skid from wholesale hunter and have it dropped off in long beach for a ship bound for HI.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was stationed at Schofield Barracks, I joined the gun club there.  They had the best prices I could find to support my shooting habits at substantial savings over regular Hawaiian prices.  Here is their URL http://www.orgsites.com/hi/schofieldrgc/
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When I was stationed at Schofield Barracks, I joined the gun club there.  They had the best prices I could find to support my shooting habits at substantial savings over regular Hawaiian prices.  Here is their URL http://www.orgsites.com/hi/schofieldrgc/
View Quote

You can only join the Schofield Rod & Gun Club if you are in the military.  Believe me, I've tried.  I good friend who I used to shoot skeet with was a member and I would go with him to buy reloading supplies by the ton.  You're right, they are the cheapest prices I've ever seen in Hawaii.  One can only wish...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks darealickt I thought there was only a dozen Hawaii members on this board.  Magnum firearms is a complete waste of prime realestate and the owner is a complete ass.  However some how he gets police and military contracts.  Maybe he is a cusin of some one.... my days in the army are over, so schofield is out of the question.  I shot up 2 cases of 12 gauge last Sunday on the trap range and the best price I can find right now is Young Guns at $4 a box.  I heard Sports authority is selling steal shot at $2 a box but I don't want to run steal through my remingtons.  WGS is a cool place.  One of my buddies goes there almost exclusively.  He has reasonable prices.  My FFL is Estiban Tactical AKA Estiban Racing Machine.  I was hoppeing he could bulk order a whole lot of stuff and I would devide it amonst my friends but it never happened.  I just get jellous when I see ammomans prices and feal the need to stock up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top