Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2003 7:59:50 PM EDT
In charge of the Turkey this Thanksgiving and not real sure how to make it turn out good. I've only ever baked one before, and I did the brown bag thing to keep it juicy. It seemed to turn out okay, or everyone was to polite to tell me that it sucked. It's been so long, I don't remember what I stuffed it with or coated the outside with. Anyone have any proven recipes or ideas on how to make it tasty?...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Deep Fry that sucker. Best turkey you will ever eat!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Best way to keep it juicy is to brine it before you cook it.

And to not over cook the breast (it takes the dark meat longer to cook).

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#3]
like silence said brine that sucker. I use about 3/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup sugar to 1 gallon of water. Make sure you use kosher salt only-table salt is too salty. brine 1-2 days and let sit in fridge uncovered for a few hours uncovered to dry out; this along with the sugar in the brine will help give your skin a nice brown.Rub with butter/seasonings roast ~325.
If not carving at the table you can roast until breast meat hits ~150 degrees(salmonella is killed at 163 so carryover cooking wiil take care of that) then remove legs/thighs and continue roasting them to ~170.
 If carving at the table roast whole with cheesecloth covering breast basting frequently.  Remove cheese cloth last hour of baking to brown skin.  Do not stuff with stuffing-lightly pack with celery,onoins,carrots. By the time your stuffing in the bird is hot you have most likely overcooked the breast.
 Make sure to let the bird sit for at least half an hour to reabsorb juices before carving.

hth, danny(professional chef ;)    
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I brine my turkey in 2 gallons of liquid.  One gallon of water & one gallon of vegetable stock for extra flavor.  Add 1 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries, & 1/2 teaspoon candied ginger to the vegetable stock & bring to a boil.  Cool down before brining (I usually do this the day before.)  Brine overnight.  I then roast at 500 for 1/2 hour to get a good & crispy skin then lower the oven to 350 until the internal temp is 160 in the deepest part of the breast.  Recipe from here:  [url]http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/SeasonMisc/EASP01.htm[/url]

DO NOT COOK STUFFING INSIDE THE BIRD.  As dano1 said, by the time the stuffing is hot enough to kill all the bacteria, your bird will be dry as cardboard.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#5]
About 12 years ago, I announced that I was going to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving, and got up early to start that sucker in time for the meal.
I've been getting up early every Thanksgiving since.
This has been a real hit with the family and guests consistantly and I doubt that I will be displaced soon.
Note, we do have a crowd, so a regular oven baked turkey or ham, rotisserie ham, etc. also debuts so no one tires of the same  old, same old.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#6]
You'll thank me for this....

The reason we all remember the old Thanksgiving turkeys baked in the oven is because they are best that way.

Thaw out the bird.  Get a "Cajun Injector", which is a large hypodermic needle thingy.  Melt some margarine in the microwave, stir in some Tony's Seasoning and a little garlic powder.  Inject this mixture into the turkey meat, especially the legs and breast.  Smear some on the skin.

Place the turkey in a roasting pan with a little watter and make a tent with aluminum foil to keep it from burning.  Cook at the temperature suggested on the label and for the specified time in the oven.

It will be so good that you will cry.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#7]
[beer]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you want other recipes too?

Red Jacket mashed potatoes!
Steam (not boil) until tender.
Use potato ricer or food mill.
HEAT UP butter & Half & Half.
Season with fresh ground white pepper and Kosher salt.

You could always use Russet potatoes also.  And if you want more of a rustic masher, place the steamed spuds in a metal bowl and with a large metal spoon, chop & fold until it's how you like it.

Not using gravy?  Try adding some carmalized onions, or fold in some grated smoked white cheddar, or roasted garlic, or sundried tomatoes, or.....(sky is the limit)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top