Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 1:51:27 PM EDT
Man, I can sympathize...

www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/11/24/spam.rage.reut/index.html

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- Call it spam rage: A Silicon Valley computer programmer has been arrested for threatening to torture and kill employees of the company he blames for bombarding his computer with Web ads promising to enlarge his penis.

In one of the first prosecutions of its kind in the state that made "road rage" famous, Charles Booher, 44, was arrested on Thursday and released on $75,000 bond for making repeated threats to staff of a Canadian company between May and July.

Booher threatened to send a "package full of Anthrax spores" to the company, to "disable" an employee with a bullet and torture him with a power drill and ice pick; and to hunt down and castrate the employees unless they removed him from their e-mail list, prosecutors said.

He used return e-mail addresses including [email protected].

In a telephone interview with Reuters on Friday, Booher acknowledged that he had behaved badly but said his computer had been rendered almost unusable for about two months by a barrage of pop-up advertising and e-mail.

"Here's what happened: I go to their Web site and start complaining to them, would you please, please, please stop bothering me," he said. "It just sort of escalated ... and I sort of lost my cool at that point."

The Sunnyvale, California man now faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, with a preliminary hearing scheduled for next month on charges of threatening to injure someone. He said he did not own any guns or have access to anthrax.

Booher said the problem stemmed from a program he mistakenly downloaded from the Internet that brought a continuous stream of advertising to his computer.

The object of the Californian's anger was Douglas Mackay, president of DM Contact Management, which works for Albion Medical, a firm advertising the "Only Reliable, Medically Approved Penis Enhancement."

"This went for a long, long time. He seemed really dedicated to this," Mackay said from Victoria, British Columbia in Canada. "He seemed like a guy just crazy enough with nothing to lose that might actually do something."

He said his firm does not send spam but blamed a rival firm which he said routes much of their unsolicited bulk e-mail through Russia and eastern Europe. Mackay said such firms gave a bad name to the penis enhancement business.

In other cases, Internet vigilantes have bombarded spammers with both unsolicited e-mail and regular mail and phone calls, launched attacks on spammers' computers and posted spammers' personal information on the Internet, according to reports.

Separately, lawmakers in Washington said the U.S. House of Representatives was poised to vote for on a measure to outlaw most Internet spam. Lawmakers hope to pass a national anti-spam bill before a much tougher California state law goes into effect on January 1.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Trouble is, he was already a Big Prick...[;D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
SPAMMERS MUST DIE!!!!!!!

If I get one more fucking email from some half literate dumbfuck from india/pakistan.. I swear to gawd I'm gonna strangle one of those fucktards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah-- those " only the best" pop up muthafucka too!!!!!!!
die muthafucka die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Thank you .
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Ouch. I'll bet that blows.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
99% of my spam comes through arfcom... I'm on the list with some stellar individuals!!

[b]Received: from hotmail.com [61.185.144.10] by ar15.com with ESMTP
 (SMTPD32-7.15) id A7A9480252; Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:25:13 -0500
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?b?QmlnZ2VyIFBlbmlzIHdpdGggdGhlIE5FVyBwYXRjaCAgICAyN255Mw==?=
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:19:31 +0000
[red]To: [email protected], eavila.com, [email protected][/red]
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.014 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; U; NT4.0; en-us) Gecko/25250101
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Note: This E-mail was scanned by WEB-Comm.com Declude JunkMail System for spam.
X-Note: This E-mail was sent from [No Reverse DNS] ([61.185.144.10]).
X-RCPT-TO:
X-UIDL: 310709489

[/b]

This was an Enlargement spam...

My question, is, how in the HELL did I get on the list of needledicks???  [ROFL]

[snoopy]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#6]
That is an interesting story. Something similar has been happening to me as well, except all my spam mail has been for penis reduction! I guess some of the Juice's ladies prefer their men to have a setting smaller than stallion...

-Juice Out

Flame away gentlemen (and ladies)!

[torch] [torch]  [torch]    [torch]  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Mackay said such firms gave a bad name to the penis enhancement business.
View Quote

They had a good name to start with? [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder what section of law he was charged under?

CPC653m might apply. CPC 422 certainly doesnt as the threats we not immediate.  I bet he walks, unless they charged him under some federal statue.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder what section of law he was charged under?

CPC653m might apply. CPC 422 certainly doesnt as the threats we not immediate.  I bet he walks, unless they charged him under some federal statue.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Now you know why you need at least three e-mail addresses, two of which are on a third party server such as Yahoo or Hotmail.  Use your "real" e-mail only for friends who also are careful with their lists.  Any airheads who feel compelled to send silly nonsense jokes back and forth to long cc: lists are not to be included in this.  Use the "other" addresses for the aforementioned fools and other inquiries/warranties, etc.  Then, if the spam starts, just cut off the e-mail address, which is not an important one to you, anyway.

That the spam crippled his computer merely means he is not as smart as he thinks he is.  E-mail, unless you are dumb enough to download it all, can't harm you as it's on a server until called.  Pop-ups are more insidious, but can be dealt with.  If it is a personal computer, disable messenger in Admin on the Windows control panel.   If one is unlucky enough to be on a network configured with that, then you are stuck with that problem.  Some spammers take that over as a way to force everythign on you, basically taking over your computer.  Also, use spybot, whcih searches for spyware trojan horses.  Of course, on a Safari and Netscape, there are pop-up blockers.

Simple solution, not requiring threats of violence or even a significant rise in blood pressure.  I do hope the character in question was one of the "peace for everything" types who think everything is a childlike wonder-world, UNTIL something happens to him.  (My cynical nature creeping out).
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Liberty, that email didn't come "through" arfcom.  They just have a bunch of arfcom addresses...

Scott
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#12]
That stuff is funny if it's not happening to you. There's a guy at work that keeps getting spam for "Larger nuts and penis". He gets at least 10 a day. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#13]
[size=4] This stuff really can piss off a person, I know first hand[/size=4]
[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:14:41 AM EDT
[#14]
It is still retarded, Why should I have to d/l various crap and wade through junk, on the connection I am paying for. Tv has ads, I dont like them I turn it, same for radio, but there is no way to keep this crap off. yes you can turn off msgr, but they keep bombarding your computer and trying to install crap without your knowledge. I have it fixed, but still run adaware every few weeks, and it picks all kinds of crap up. While not bothering to me since I cant see it. They should not be allowed to come onto my property on my money and my time, and try to sell me crap. If that puts them out of work, to freaking bad, Find another job that doesnt piss everyone off. How in the hell the make money is beyond me, but I guess they do. idiots must be abound, which leads us to, why arent we all rich, if these idiots can sell penis enlargement pills enough to turn a profit, We all of above average intellegence should be able to rake in millions
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:36:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't really mind spam e-mails, 2 clicks and they are gone.
It's the pop up programs the kids let in that you have to go to their website to download the uninstall programs.
These pop ups install themselves in your favorites, create icons, go into your start up, and pop up every minute and even slow the computer way down.
I killed them all and I'm far from a geek.
For now, I'm running cookies manually...be surprised what tries to get in.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I miss the old days when all you had to deal with were junk faxes.

Whenever we got pissed at a junk faxer, we'd just make a loop of fax paper that said something line "JUNK FAXERS SUCK" and then fax it to them in one looong continuous fax until we ran their machine out of paper.

If that didn't work, we'd fax them a stack of black construction paper. If it was a laser fax, that would empty it of toner, if it were an old thermal fax you could actually cause a melt down sometimes.

Oh the good ol' days.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Lemmie see.  Almost 2 weeks and:

-rw-------    1 troy     staff     8658018 Nov 25 08:01 almost-certainly-spam

8.5 MB of SPAM

(They also receive a "This message is undeliverable" return, but I like to keep a copy in case a new virus comes out. [;)])
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top