Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 10:23:46 AM EDT
I live in Maryland, but am about to move to Virginia.

Question is.  In Maryland, a striped lower receiver, plain, bare hunk of metal, has to be registered as an assault rifle.  The only way to get a reciever that is not registered as an assault rifle is to get a 20" HBAR upper already attached to it.

Is that a fricking Maryland thing?

What about VA?  Can I get a stripped lower with out 3 forms and a waiting period?

I want to build another AR (16"), but don't want it registered as an assault rifle if I can help it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The receiver is the weapon.  Everything else is just accessories.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Controling AR-15s and 'Assault Weapons' is a MD (and NY, NJ, CA, MA) thing, IIRC...

Most states don't treat an AR (reciever or otherwise) any different than a dingy old Mosin-Nagant...

I'm not sure, but I don't think VA requires you to 'register' anything...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Controling AR-15s and 'Assault Weapons' is a MD (and NY, NJ, CA, MA) thing, IIRC...

Most states don't treat an AR (reciever or otherwise) any different than a dingy old Mosin-Nagant...

I'm not sure, but I don't think VA requires you to 'register' anything...
View Quote

Thats what I thought.

The thought of buying a lower reciever, and no matter what, even if my purpose is to put a 22LR conversion on it for squirrel hunting, it would be registered as an assault rifle makes me sick.

yes, I know, the 22lr would not be registered, only the receiver.  but....just....shit it pisses me off.

So I get to wait a few months until I live in VA to make my next AR.

Edited because I can't spell worth a damn.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever the state laws are, you still have to follow the federal guidelines about what is pre-ban and post-ban.

Otherwise, good luck on the move!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whatever the state laws are, you still have to follow the federal guidelines about what is pre-ban and post-ban.

View Quote

Oh of course.  None of us would ever do any of that.[smoke]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Once you establish residency, you can start buying firearms 30 days after you acquire an official state ID (driver's license).  Make sure to bring supplemental proof that you live in VA, like a utility bill.  Then you can buy a lower and walk out with it after passing the instant background check.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh of course.  None of us would ever do any of that.[smoke]
View Quote

But of course not!  [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top