Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 6:33:39 AM EDT
I'd need to pick up a new rifle since I've sold off the upper on my AR.  I though about getting a 9x19mm upper for the AR lower that I still have but that would cost $600+ and I don't have that kind of money. Here's the critiera for the rifle.
1) budget of around $500 max. Need to get accessories with that money as well as the rifle.
2)Would like it to be Semi-auto.  
3)Would like to get it on my C&R lic. so I don't have to fool around with my local dealer.
4) Would like it to be .24cal or larger so I could hunt deer with it here in Tennessee.
5)Would like it to have reasonable recoil, no M-44 Mosins or Enfield No5 Jungle carbines thank you.
The only thing that I've found that even comes close to filling the  bill is a Yugo SKS. There was some MAS semi's on the market but 7.5 French isn't the easiest round to find and when you do it's expensive for a surplus round.  Is there any other good quality Semi-auto rifles that are C&R out there that I'm over looking?  Thanks, talk to ya'll later.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#1]
CMP Garand?  
1. No need for accessories, except for ammo and clips
2. check
3. check, sorta, maybe you can get one with a C&R, I dunno.
4. check
5. recoil isn't all that bad.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
5)Would like it to have reasonable recoil, no M-44 Mosins or Enfield No5 Jungle carbines thank you.
View Quote

These are not heavy recoiling rifles.  True, your shoulder will feel bruised after 50 or so rounds, but if these are punishing you, you are holding the rifle incorrectly.  The heaviest recoiling milsurps are the M95 Steyr and the Berthier carbines, but even these don't approach the recoil levels of a heavy caliber sporting rifle.  Don't let the non-recoil of a .223 make you think that everything else is heavy.

To answer your question, buy a SAR1 (7.62*39)...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, I know what heavy is, while I worked at McMillian Arms in the late 80's I got to shoot the heck out of the M-88's we were making for the SEAL's. That big 50 kicks a bit after a few hundred rounds,LOL.  As for the SAR, I just swaped off one for a '63 Sharps paper ctg. .54cal rifle and the SAR's aren't C&R so I'd really rather pass on it.  I did think about picking up a M-94 Winchester comemorative like the Canadian Centenal or similar.  It would be C&R, the 30/30 is a good woods deer ctg. and even though it's not a semi-auto it can be fired fast if needed.  So far the SKS looks like the only option.  I've owned about 8 of them over the last 20 years, looks like I'll be going back to one unless someone can come up with something.  Also, I did think about a Swiss K-31 but ammo cost too much, I'd like something that I could pick up a thousand rounds for and not have to spend much over $150.  Keep thinking and I'll look for more suggestions in a bit.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
CMP Garand?  
1. No need for accessories, except for ammo and clips
2. check
3. check, sorta, maybe you can get one with a C&R, I dunno.
4. check
5. recoil isn't all that bad.
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
An M1 Garand would be sweet BUT, there is no CMP afilliated clubs in my area and I don't have a "millitary style" rifle to shoot my qualifing target with.  They do still make you shoot a target to qualify for the CPM rifle , right?  Looks like I'll be shopping for an SKS unless someone here can come up with something else.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
1 vote for a SAR-1.

Gotta love 75 round drums and cheap 30 round mags [:)]

If not this, SKS would be fine too.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#8]
An SKS is more of a plinker. Forget the MAS. Why not buy a modern rifle? Especially since you want to use it for hunting deer. If your local dealer is a prick, find a pawn shop that will handle a transfer for a reasonable fee like $20. I'm an FL dealer and I'll gladly make you a good price on anything that you want and ship it to a FFL of your choice.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I think SKS is how I'm going to have to go.  I've still got around 400 rnds. left over from the SAR-1 that I had, all I'd have to get is stripper clips and a chest pouch. I was really hoping that there was something that I didn't know about on the market that I could buy other then an SKS.  If I get another one it'll make number 9.  Of course if I get the SKS I'd have enough left over to pick up something like a Yugo M-48 or a K-31 and put a few rounds back to play with.   Also, it's not so much my local dealer it's the TBI. I get a hassel from them everytime I buy a "new" gun. My file shows where "civil rights have been restored" and that confusses the hell out of them. The have to send it to legal and then a week later I can pick up my gun after they've figured out everything.  Also, I'd like to use my C&R, I've only bought 2 guns on it so far and would like to take advantage of having it. The Yugo 59/66's are C&R elegible, it's the "special" one's that have had the gernade lancher removed for Calif. use that are not C&R. Talk to ya'll later.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, because it's 'collectible" and has been certified by a museum.  The 50 year old rule doesn't always apply. The Polish TT-33 that SOG is selling are made in the early 50's making most of them 50+ years old but there not C&R .  The CZ-52, made during the 50's is, go figure. Also, I can buy a new S&W, Colt or Winchester "cormemorative" gun and it'll be C&R but the same type of gun that's regular production isn't .  There is even a factory nickeled UZI that's C&R but I'd bet it would cost a butt load of money if you found one. The C&R list is a funny list to read.  Some guns are new(or near new) and are C&R others are older but aren't.  I don't make the C&R rules, just have to follow em' no  matter how silly they are.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you have to be 21 to get a C&R?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]
yep, you can even get a few AR's on your C&R, like the vietnam commerative from colt.........
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Do you have to be 21 to get a C&R?
View Quote

yep

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Another little known  fact is that not all machine guns have to be bought thru a Class lll dealer. There is a whole list of machine guns(Thompson, PPSH-41, Bren light machine gun, et al.) that can be purchased with a C&R lic.  You still have to pay the $200 tax and fill out Form 4 but once you're approved it can be shipped to your door, no Class lll dealer to worry about.  Heck, I may break down one day and buy a Thompson or PPSH-41 if I can come up with the money.  That would be a hoot, have a machine gun shipped to my door, bet that would piss off a butt load of anti-gun types,LOL. Anyway, if ya' don't have a C&R and you've got an extra $35 bucks you can live without it's well worth sending off for one.  The form you fill out is about the same as a 4473, just as easy, and you can have all kind of firearms shipped right to your door and save a bunch of money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top