Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2003 4:47:23 AM EDT
From NewsChannel 8 News:
Texas Police Say Eizember Was Shot Four Times
Posted: November 24, 2003 6:14 AM EST
URL: www.ktul.com/showstory.hrb?f=n&s=111537&f1=loc

The search for accused double murderer Scott Eizember is over. Police in Lufkin, Texas say Eizember is hospitalized in stable condition after being shot four times by a man he allegedly kidnapped Sunday.

Creek County Sheriff's Deputy Mike O'Keefe told reporters that after this morning's events in Depew, where an elderly woman was confronted by a man believed to be Eizember, police began an investigation.

O'Keefe says it's believed that Eizember took the woman's vehicle to Fort Smith, Arkansas, where he then kidnapped a doctor and his wife at gunpoint. They have been identified as Dr. Samuel Peebles and his wife, Suzanne, of Nashville, Arkansas.

Eizember forced them to travel south, where, near Lufkin, Texas, Dr. Peebles was able to retrieve a handgun that he had concealed in the minivan and shot Eizember four times in the chest area.

Peebles then transported Eizember to the hospital, where he underwent surgery for what were considered non-life-threatening wounds. We're told he is in stable condition.

O'Keefe says their big break came at about 2:30 p.m., when Eizember's former girlfriend, Kathy Biggs, received a phone call from someone who said that she was with Eizember and that he was coming to get Biggs.

Police in Creek County began tracking Eizember's phone calls and while they were investigating, they received the phone call from Lufkin police, who told them of the shooting.

Although it has not been confirmed by fingerprints, O'Keefe says it has been confirmed by photograph.

Eizember has been on the run for five weeks since allegedly going on a rampage in Depew on October 18th. He is charged with first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of A.J. and Patsy Cantrell of Depew.

Eizember is also charged with shooting with intent to kill in the shooting of 16-year-old Tyler Montgomery, who continues to recover after being hospitalized in critical condition. Eizember also faces a charge of assault and battery with a deadly weapon in the brutal beating of Montgomery's grandmother, Carla Wright.

Arkansas couple viewed as heroes in fugitive case

UPDATED!!!

By RHETT MORGAN World Staff Writer

Samuel Peebles delivered hundreds of babies in 22 years as a family doctor in Nashville, Ark.

For the last six years, he's tended the sick as an emergency room physician.

So on Sunday, when what appeared to be a stranded motorist played hurt on the side of the road, Peebles did what he does best.

He offered aid.

"If he saw or felt like somebody needed his assistance, he would probably stop and help," said Nashville Police Chief Larry Yates, who said he has known Peebles about 40 years.

"I don't know what this guy did to flag him down, but I'm sure the doctor felt like he was doing what he should."

The motorist, who reportedly was lying on the side of the road, turned out to be Scott James Eizember, accused of a double murder in Creek County, who had eluded Oklahoma authorities since Oct. 18.

Eizember kidnapped Peebles, 54, and his wife, Suzanne, 50, near Waldron, Ark., and led them on a 300-mile odyssey through two states, authorities said.

By the time the ordeal ended, Eizember had pistol-whipped the couple, and Samuel Peebles had shot the suspect several times with a gun he retrieved from a door compartment in his vehicle, said the couple's son, Samuel Jr.

Eizember, 42, is in custody, recovering in a Lufkin, Texas, hospital.

"This is the first time my dad has encountered violence in the 26 years I've been alive," his son said of his 5-foot-8, 185-pound father.

Eizember is described as being 6 feet tall and weighing 185 pounds.

"I'm so proud of my dad I want to cry," the younger Peebles said.

"I'm glad to see him bring my mom and himself home to me safe. He did what he knew he was supposed to do. And that was make sure they were all right."

The elder Peebles and his wife sustained bruises and cuts from being struck by a pistol Eizember was carrying, the younger Peebles said. Stitches were required to close a cut on the physician's head, the son said.

Treated and released from a Lufkin hospital, they stayed Sunday night in a Lufkin motel, where they are recovering with family, Samuel Jr. said.

"We feel he is a hero," he said.

"Our parents are going to come home. That's something we didn't know for a long time. We're happy it's going to be a good Thanksgiving."

Peebles and his wife had attended a relative's funeral Saturday in a town about 30 miles north of Fort Smith, Ark., where they stayed that evening, Samuel Jr. said.

Eizember reportedly broke into a Depew, Okla., church pantry early Sunday morning and fled in a stolen Toyota Corolla.

When Eizember's car broke down in Arkansas and the Peebles picked him up, he said he needed "a ride up the road" to his girlfriend's house," reportedly in Texarkana, Samuel Jr. said.

Once in the Peebles' van, Eizember displayed a gun and told the Peebles to drive to Texas, police said.

While traveling through Angelina County, Texas, the couple persuaded Eizember to let the woman out to use the restroom, authorities said. When Eizember walked around to get the man about 12:30 p.m., Peebles exited and an altercation ensued in which Eizember reportedly was shot several times in the chest and arm.

He assaulted the pair and escaped in the van, authorities said. The Peebles sought help at a nearby residence.

Authorities caught up to Eizember about 10 miles south of Lufkin in Corrigan.

There, he told police he was shot by an unknown assailant while stopped on the roadside in his car.

Eizember then was taken to the hospital, where authorities learned he was wanted.

Friends and family said Suzanne Peebles commonly keeps a .22-caliber pistol in a pocket on the passenger side door of the vehicle.

"We are a hunting family," Samuel Jr. said. "She's on the road a lot by herself. When she travels, we make sure the carries a gun with her."

Samuel Jr. didn't say whether the Peebles had a permit to carry the weapon.

According to Arkansas weapons laws, people can carry handguns -- even without a permit -- "when upon a journey, unless the journey is through a commercial airport . . ."

Relatives of the couple began to worry when the doctor didn't show up for his 6 p.m. shift Sunday at Nashville's Howard Memorial Hospital, a 24-bed unit where he is an emergency physician.

Suzanne is a registered nurse who used to work at the hospital, said Freda Davis, executive director of the hospital's foundation.

"Everybody loves and cares for Dr. Peebles," she said. "And he loves and cares for them."

On the hospital's board of directors, Peebles also works with the county health department, Davis said.

Peebles serves as deacon at the Blue Bayou Church of Christ, his son said. He teaches a Sunday Bible class about keeping relationships together.

He and his wife have been married 33 years.

"He's just a kind guy, down-to-earth," Davis said.

"I can see him helping to stop somebody on the side of the road -- without a thought in his mind of harm to himself or Suzanne."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhett Morgan 581-8395
[email protected]

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Now that is good news on a Monday morning!

Good shot doc!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
four shots to the chest = non-life threatening wounds ?

either way good for him...

proves that a small caliber is better than no caliber [:)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#3]
[beer] and by a doctor no less. Maybe he shot him then helped him.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
"Use enough gun"
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't the good Doctor's actions violate some clause of the Hippocratic oath?

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote
                                                                                                                                                                                        Naw...the oath just says they won't cut slaves balls off.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"Use enough gun"
View Quote

How do you know it wasn't a .45?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't, really, but four torso wounds described as non-critical seems to indicate a smaller caliber.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I think he upheld the oath just fine.

Since he's a doc, I assume he would know exactly where to (or not to) shoot.

Great job...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Doc Peebles: "Does [i]that[/i] hurt? How about [i]that[/i]? Now sit your bleeding ass down while I decide whether I'm taking your ass to the hospital or the nearest bridge."
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Doc Peebles: "Does [i]that[/i] hurt? How about [i]that[/i]? Now sit your bleeding ass down while I decide whether I'm taking your ass to the hospital or the nearest bridge."
View Quote

LMFAO!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#13]
If this were in NJ or MA, the doctor would be in jail.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

Nope. In fact, doctors, paramedics & lawyers are some of the most armed of the civilian populace. If you take an Ayoob class, the number of doc's will freak you out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted: From NewsChannel 8 News: Texas Police Say Eizember Was Shot Four Times Location: Lufkin, TX Posted: November 24, 2003 6:14 AM EST URL: [url]http://www.ktul.com/showstory.hrb?f=n&s=111537&f1=loc[/url] ........ O'Keefe says their [red]big break came at about 2:30 p.m.,[/red] when Eizember's former girlfriend, Kathy Biggs, received a phone call from someone who said that she was with Eizember and that he was coming to get Biggs. Police in Creek County began tracking Eizember's phone calls and while they were investigating, they received the phone call from Lufkin police, who told them of the shooting.
View Quote
Stupid idiot news people and o'keefe.    Their big break was getting a phone call?!?!   Hello!?     The big break was the doc shooting the perp, then taking him to a hospital.   they should give the doc a medal and deputize him.   moron newspeople and deputy o'keefe.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Excellant news today...should have been a .45, there would no need for a doctor. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

You mean the part where it says "First, I will do no harm.  That is, unless some asshole kidnaps me and the wife, in which case I will bust a cap in his ass."  That part?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Guess the Doc was using FMJs, regardless of the caliber. Should have gone with JHPs. Nevertheless, good shooting shot 4 times all hit in torso area.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Use enough gun"
View Quote

No, "Have a gun."
He did, whereas a lot of people wouldn't.  That's why he's the hero and not a victim.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#20]
"You kidnapped the wrong GODDAMN doctor didn't you ASSHOLE!!!!"
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Gotta figure, he WAS saving people lives by shootin' that guy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]
You suppose he was a ex-Army doc?

Weren't firearms supposed to be a "national health crisis"?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You suppose he was a ex-Army doc?

Weren't firearms supposed to be a "national health crisis"?
View Quote

That's only if your a "Liberal" doctor.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#24]
This Eisember guy has been on America's Most Wanted on for the last couple of weeks now.  I wonder if John Walsh will mention how the bad guy got shot and then captured or will he just "forget" to mention that part.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Finaly. Good news about doctors and guns. It seems he had [i]enough[/i] gun to do what he wanted. The doc. stopped the asshole.

I guess the "Do no harm" part means to him , do as little harm as possible but stop the idiot from hurtin' or killin' ya.

Good job Doc.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#26]
So good to hear!  Doc caps the bad guy, then probably rendered first aid...  this is they way these situations should always work out.

I wouldn't lose sleep if the perp had died though...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

The oath is not stictly adhered to anyway. Doctors have to say the oath but it is more a symbolic gesture now. The oath says doctors will not provide abortions, will not "use the knife" meaning no surgery. It is basically the primum non nocere, aka first do no harm part that is important. And that is first do no harm to your patients, not to some shitbag who has kidnapped you and your wife. I have to say he probably would have gotten a 5th shot from me that would change the "non-fatal" part of this.

-Juice Out
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Many doctors in this area are armed, with several having class III goodies.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't, really, but four torso wounds described as non-critical seems to indicate a smaller caliber.
View Quote

Hanguns are ineffective stoppers. Poor ammo selection makes it even worse. Shot placement and bullet design are everything.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Rumor says it was a .22 and that the doc had fought with the perp after shooting him.

The perp got away in the doctors van and made it to a gas station where someone called 911.  

The perp told the people at the station that he had been victimized and needed help.

The gun supposedly belonged to the doctor's wife.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Use enough gun"
View Quote

How do you know it wasn't a .45?
View Quote

Well...I'd argue that common sense tells us that it was most likely a .22.  Four hits and he doesn't go down?

I've seen a sucking chest wound from a .45ACP hardball round and I can assure you that one shot was more than sufficient to kill the guy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#32]
then again

"You like to pump iron in the yard?  Not with that shoulder BANG you won't."  

"Heck, don't want you to look lop sided.  BANG, that should balance your shoulders out."

"Still got your appendix? BANG. fixed that for you."

"How about gall stones? BANG, you won't need to worry about those either."

"You'll get my bill in the mail."
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Score one for the good guys.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My sister-in-laws 84 year old grandfather came home last week and saw his home ransacked and a door he left open closed.  He retrieved a .357 Mag and went opened the door.  When he saw the burglar he told him not to move. the 29 year old 3 striker advanced toward him and he again told him to stop. When the bad guy took another step he pulled the trigger and the gun did not fire. He pulled the trigger two more times striking bad guy in each shoulder. Bad guy is recovering in jail and will most likely spend the rest of his life in prison.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
then again

"You like to pump iron in the yard?  Not with that shoulder BANG you won't."  

"Heck, don't want you to look lop sided.  BANG, that should balance your shoulders out."

"Still got your appendix? BANG. fixed that for you."

"How about gall stones? BANG, you won't need to worry about those either."

"You'll get my bill in the mail."
View Quote

You sir, have a great sense of humor.  Thanks for the laugh.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:42:01 AM EDT
[#36]
UPDATED 11/25/2003 SEE PAGE 1
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#37]
[url]abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20031126_794.html[/url]

He shot the BG when he was returning from a bathroom break. Using a .22 firing 9 shots, hitting with 4. He then got pistol whipped and he and his wife got thrown out of their vehicle.

Thankfully the BG's gun was non-operational.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If this were in NJ or MA, the doctor would be in jail.
View Quote

Dont' forget California!

And remember folks, NOBODY is a criminal, they just didn't have the benifit of growing up in a nice home!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My sister-in-laws 84 year old grandfather came home last week and saw his home ransacked and a door he left open closed.  He retrieved a .357 Mag and went opened the door.  When he saw the burglar he told him not to move. the 29 year old 3 striker advanced toward him and he again told him to stop. When the bad guy took another step he pulled the trigger and the gun did not fire. He pulled the trigger two more times striking bad guy in each shoulder. Bad guy is recovering in jail and will most likely spend the rest of his life in prison.
View Quote

Another good guy wins story. Good for pops, I hope he talked shit to the crook while he waited for the cops to come.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top