Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2003 11:30:39 PM EDT
Well I was working late and I'm on my way home at 2am on a 7 lane road with a 3 mile stretch and the speed limit is 40 for cryin' out loud... and there's nothing on the sides hardly, the speed limits here are bogus... I just wanted to get home and sleep, just had a panic attack 5 minutes before.

So I'm cruising at 54 (according to his radar) on this 7-lane stretch, again, not a car but 1 in sight, and sure enough... a cop.

So he does a U-ey in the road and comes at me super hard with lights on like I'm trying to get away or something and by this time I'm going slow, so I pull over, and he comes up and I respectfully ask, "How ya doin' sir?"  I was raised in the south and am always respectful to pretty much everyone.

Well "He just rudely blurts out, "Let me see your driver's license?  What's the rush?!"  (Rush?  I was going 54 on a road which has more space than an interstate at 2am for cryin' out loud.)

I'm a little nervous as usual, and I accidently give him my carry permit.  So he asks for insurance card too, and I find it, expired...(CARD expired, my insurance is not, just didn't have the latest card in my truck), and he sternly says, "WHY DID YOU GIVE ME YOUR HANDGUN PERMIT?"

ME: Huh?  Oh, I'm sorry sir. (And I quickly hand him my driver's license).

Officer: WHERE'S YOUR WEAPON AT? (Like he was afraid I was gonna grab it and shoot him or something.

Keep in mind I'm dressed in descent clothes since I was at work, and I'm in a 2003 Dodge Ram, so I'm no grubby lookin' guy.

So since he's getting rude I casually tell him my uncle is an officer saying I have respect for Officers, because he acted like I'm the lowest maggot on the Earth, and I didn't say it in a kiss up way, I mean the dude was just rude.  I knew he was gonna give me a ticket from the moment he came up, at this point I was just trying to get him to treat ME with some respect.

The whole time I am being very respectful calling him sir and so forth.

So he leaves, comes back with my ticket which he checked "mandatory court appearance" and wrote me up for expired insurance card as well as the 54 in a 40 ticket.  When he handed me the clipboard, he then saw the radar detector...

Then he got into this stance like he was doing a TV commercial or something with his hands on his belt and he says, "If I were you I'd get rid of that radar detector?"

Me: "Why's that?"

Then with this evil grin like he was just praying I would ask why he says, "Cause it only tells ya when ya get caught."

I just so bad wanted to say, "Well that ain't true at all cause I've had the thing for 2 years and it's saved me from about 30 tickets.  You giving me your little ticket is nothing compared to having 30 others, so I'll keep the detector."

However I figured that would be a bad idea, so I said, "What's your name?"

Officer: "Griffith"

I said Thank you with a grin and rolled up my window.

Cursed prick cops... I've had nice ones give me tickets, but this one was a total prick.

My Uncle said his department has a list for cops who don't help other cops families, I'm gonna see if we can't get Officer Griffith on that list.  EDITED TO EMPHASIZE THIS SENTENCE:

********Not because he gave me a ticket, I've had other tickets before, some from cops who I thought were nice, but because he was a prick who you could tell just loved exercising his authority is what p*sses me off.**********

So did I do anything specifically wrong here that you guys can tell?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
[i]EDITED TO REMOVE THREAT OF VIOLENCE TOWARDS A LEO. THREATS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED[/I]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You gotta be kidding me?

You told him "I have an uncle thats a cop"? [ROFL2]

Dude, you should get out more. There is a certain element of LEO's out there that will automaticcaly ticket people that do specific things.
Like saying you have respect for officers because you have an uncle thats one. Like having a detector in plain view. Like handing your carry permit over instead of your license.

Maybe you should go on a ride along with him, and meet some of the fine folks he usually encounters at 2am? Give it a try.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You gotta be kidding me?

Dude, you should get out more. There is a certain element of LEO's out there that will automaticcaly ticket people that do specific things.

Like saying you have respect for officers because you have an uncle thats one. Like having a detector in plain view. Like handing your carry permit over instead of your license.

Maybe you should go on a ride along with him, and meet some of the fine folks he usually encounters at 2am? Give it a try.
View Quote

Well shows what you know about TN...

#1 I have some 40 members in my family, several of which have used "I have a relative that's a cop, and I'm the only one that it hasn't worked with, all of them have said it and it never caused them to get a ticket.

#2 I've said it before during a wreck and got the cop to recommend in court not to put the ticket on my record.  I just had to remind him before court so he'd remember who I was and he did so.

#3 Handing cops my permit I have done many many times, it's just that I usually do it in addition to my license, and every single time but this one the cop has acted a lot cooler with me after showing it to him.  In New Orleans I did the same thing though and accidently gave the cop my permit, and he was cooler with us after that too, so maybe it's different where you're from, but in TN I've had no problems with doing this before.

As far as who this guy meets at 2am, not knocking his job at all, don't get me wrong, but this is a very small rich people suburb... this rich town sees no action which is probably why he tried to create some with me.

Again... before he saw the detector or I said anything about my Uncle he was already being extremely rude to me and ready to write my ticket, so there goes your theory right there, at least in this case.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You drove 14 mph over the speed limit, about 33% over. You are pissed he didn't "help" you out?  Maybe he was having a bad day as for his additude. I'm glad you didn't get away with driving without insurance. The speeding ticket? With your wanting "help" and driving without insurance I have no sympathy. Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You drove 14 mph over the speed limit, about 33% over. You are pissed he didn't "help" you out?  Maybe he was having a bad day as for his additude. I'm glad you didn't get away with driving without insurance. The speeding ticket? With your wanting "help" and driving without insurance I have no sympathy. Sorry.
View Quote

Maybe you should learn to read the entire post.  I said I wasn't pissed that he gave me a ticket.  I've had cops give me tickets before.  I was pissed he was so rude right off the bat and gave me no respect.  "help families out" is my Uncle's term for their list... if you read my last paragraph, I specifically stated it was because he was so rude before I even had a chance to speak that I am so PO'd.  

Please learn to read the whole thing before you try and flame me, and thank you for defending those who feel they have the right to be rude to whoever they want because they have a badge and treat me like I'm going to pull out a gun and shoot them when all I had done at that point was show them I had a carry permit (which is required in some states) and said "Yes sir" with respect to all his questions.  

Just my .02, no harm intended.

Oh, and I wasn't driving without insurance.  I just didn't have the latest card.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I hear ya. I have a bud who is a OC sherifs. He was totally hammered during last years USC-UCLA game. We were going home and he got pulled over. He takes out his badge and away we went. I thought it was cool, but in hind sight, he shouldn't be on the road that messed up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Your first mistake was pulling over when he lit you up. Dont you have a hemi?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#8]
HTF did he get you oncoming?  Was he traveling in the oppoosite direction?  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations, you just participated in your local cop's fund drive.

Not to mention, your insurance company (the one who funds anti-speeding technology, and donates things like planes to HP units) will probably boost your rates.

Oh, but it's all about public safety, right?? ;)
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:35:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Speeding stops are like seatbelt stops. Fishing expeditions to circumvent the Constitution while creating revenue in the name of public safety.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife's cousin's husband is a cop.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:14:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Cop rules for speeders:

1. If the guy lies about his speed or knowing the speed limit, give him a ticket.

2. Guy has a radar detector, give him a ticket.

3. Guy plays dumb, give him a ticket.

4. Guy trys to bribe you, give him a ticket.

5. Guy says he has a friend, relative, sex partner who's a cop, judge, political figure. Give him a ticket.

6. Guy who is honest & knows he was speeding & doens't lie about it, turned on the dome light, turned off the engine and doesn't have a radar detector. Cut him some slack.

Keep in mind the following, in most reasonable size cities where cops have the cameras in their cars, they also wear body mics so all your BS that you tell him can be used in court if you decide to protest the ticket.

You broke the law, you know that you broke the law, so suck it up and pay the fine and be mad at yourself. If the cop was truely a prick then call and complain to his IA department. At least the investigation may cool his jets a little but before you do, remember the body mic thing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#14]
this is gonna sound REALLY bad but my AR15.com license frame has gotten me out of 3 tickets. EVERY time they ran my plates asked what ar15.com was and then i spent 30 min on the side of the road talking guns.

I have a Dash mounted GPS and radar dectector and usually know damned well how fast i am driving when they pop me.

mike
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I see it like this,
If I read it right you were speeding,
I have found to be honest with them and agree with them and you wont get a ticket.
If you can't pay the fine, why do the crime.
Just like you he has a job to do.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]
[:|]

So he was somewhat less than courteous. Why make a federal case out of it? What are you going to do, contact his superiors and tell them that you didn't appreciate the tone of voice of the officer that pulled you over doing 14 over at 0200? I'm sure they'll have a very specific remedy to prevent further occurences of contact with Officer Not-So-Friendly: watch your speed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You gotta be kidding me?

View Quote

No Shit!!! My thoughts exactly!!  [ROFL]

He asks...

View Quote

Ya, ...EVERYTHING!!! [noclue]  

[LOL]

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your first mistake was pulling over when he lit you up. Dont you have a hemi?
View Quote

lol

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You gotta be kidding me?

View Quote

No Shit!!! My thoughts exactly!!  [ROFL]

He asks...

View Quote

Ya, ...EVERYTHING!!! [noclue]  

[LOL]

View Quote

You need to learn to read follow up posts... he was already going to give me a ticket before he saw the detector and before I said anything about my uncle, as I've already stated... twice.

"Some" of you guys are so 1 track minded you just read the highlights, draw your own conclusion and proceed to flame away.

So far everything ya'll have pointed out about me doing "wrong" was done after he was already writing out the ticket, and my complaint isn't about getting the ticket at all, so lay off the ticket part.  My beef was that he acted so rudely and like I was going to pull a gun and shoot him or something.

As for sucking it up... I didn't lie, I didn't play dumb, when he said what's the rush, I told him "No rush" and didn't give any excuses.  I've learned by now.

As for making a federal case out of it, I just wanted to give my rant, not about getting a ticket, but about a rude cop who seriously treated me with no respect right off the bat when I gave him all the respect that's humanly possible.

If it happened to you, I promise you'd be p*ssed as well, I've had tickets before and no complaints, my complaint is the rudeness of the cop.

To those who gave words of support, thank you. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If it happened to you, I promise you'd be p*ssed as well, I've had tickets before and no complaints, my complaint is the rudeness of the cop.

To those who gave words of support, thank you. [:)]
View Quote

What rudeness? Did he call you names? Yell? Cut you off as you were talking?

I didn't read any of that. I kinda hear a Joe Friday. He was all business and not much for the chit-chat. That ain't rude. It may not be an easy going conversational approach. But it's straight to the point, let's get down to business.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#21]
anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cop rules for speeders:

1. If the guy lies about his speed or knowing the speed limit, give him a ticket.

5. Guy says he has a friend, relative, sex partner who's a cop, judge, political figure. Give him a ticket.

6. Guy who is honest & knows he was speeding & doens't lie about it, turned on the dome light, turned off the engine and doesn't have a radar detector. Cut him some slack.
View Quote

All true, but in my experience #2 doesn't fly. I got busted twice with a R/D, and got let go both times.

BOTH times I was flying, and I mean FLYING.

The first time I gave some BS excuse that I was rushing home, where I'd just gotten a phone call that dad had collapsed. The guy looked at my plate, my D/L, and my military ID, and said, "You won't do him any good arriving there in your own casket." and let me go. Scared me silly (was my first pull-over after having my car only three days). Drove home at around 15 MPH!

The second time I was doing close to 90 through a 40. I didn't even realize that I was doing it, as I was chatting with my dad, who was with me. This HUMONGUS black cop gets out of his car, and I'd swear that when he stood by my door it was like a solar eclipse. He took my D/L, called in the plate, and then said, "Do me a favor and slow down, OK?"

I was stunned. Absolutely stunned.

Common issues in both cases: I was pulled over with the engine off before the cops had (in the first case) finished doing their U-Turn, and (in the second case) before he had gotten withint 5 car lengths of me. "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" were common. Finally, apparently they like the fact that my plate identifies me as prior Navy.

It's all I can think of...especially after that 90 in a 40. That was positively surreal...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#23]
[b]REALM[/b]:
Upon further thought, I can appreciate your position. Nobody, regardless how thick their skin may be, likes to be treated poorly or addressed in a rude manner. There's generally no call for it, especially from an alleged "public servant."

Of course, it could have been worse, [b]REALM[/b]. You could have been pulled over by the OK gal in the "Bad Shoot" thread!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cop rules for speeders:

View Quote

Here is my working procedure for who gets a ticket:

Name drop  (I've arrested a member of the legislature, ticketed Mary Lou Retton, Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, been offered  sex by three women in one car, and stopped Willie Nelson.  You knowing the LT's son does not impress)

Further,  if you name drop,  I write a note to the officer explaining how you are taking their name in vain.

Lie?  (Dude, I just WATCHED you do it)

Lame excuses? (Did let one lady go that stated her period had started and she was wearing white slacks.)

No insurance? Every violation I can find. Arrest and tow vehicle if multiple offense.  

Driving with license suspended?  Arrest, and inpound the car.

Radar detector? (speeding tickets are maybe one out of 30 for me)  Very big hit against you.

Outstandly stupid?   (backing thru an intersection for example).

No one,  with the exception of outstandingly stupid,  gets an automatic ticket.  The interview determines that.  You'd be amazed how many people talk themselves into a major spanking.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Okay - so you're just upset because he was rude and it has NOTHING to do with getting a ticket.

Dang, I could go on all day about rude people - fast food workers, Customer Service people, truck drivers, rich people, etc...   Seriously, I have a great story about my phone company's CS department that makes this guy look like Mr. Rogers.

Cops are like everybody else - some are nice and friendly - some are a$$holes (I'm picturing a guy at my dept right now).  This guy seemed to be in between - not friendly, not really mean.  Like [b]Oly-M4gery[/b] said, he was just "all business".  I personally prefer the "easy going conversational approach".

You didn't go into detail about how he handled your gun other than him asking "where is it?", so I'm not sure where you get that he was afraid you'd pull a gun and shoot him (you mentioned that twice).  I'm thinking if he was afraid of the gun situation, he would have either gotten you out of the truck or secured the gun.

Quoted:
Common issues in both cases: I was pulled over with the engine off before the cops had (in the first case) finished doing their U-Turn, and (in the second case) before he had gotten withint 5 car lengths of me. "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" were common. Finally, apparently they like the fact that my plate identifies me as prior Navy.
View Quote

Not shocked at all that you didn't get a ticket.  You make the stop a lot easier.

CR
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just driving 54 in a 40, and not having current proof of insurance on you or in the vehicle.  

When someone tells me their mother, husband, uncle, cousin, is a cop I assume they are telling me that in the hopes I let them off with a warning.

BTW: I speed too. But I do so expecting to get pulled over and ticketed. Its a calculated economic risk.

Oh, whats up with this "panic attack" stuff? Please tell me you hadnt just popped a Xanax and then were speeding home at 2AM?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Read the [b]FAQ[/b]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203815[/url]

"Press 5 to report the officer was "rude" to you, when in reality he was simply trying to make your community a safer place to live".

"Press 6 if you would like the officer to raise your children for you"

"Press 7 if you pay our salary, know the mayor, or will have our badges..."
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes, it had nothing to do with getting a ticket, that's nothing new to me.  Getting an officer who obviously loved to brandish his authority, treat me with no respect, and put on an evil grin is new to me.

I find most cops that have given me tickets HATE giving them, it's just their job, and I am cool with that, but not when they are rude simply because they know they have authority to do so and know no one can stop them.  That p*sses me off.

The last cop to give me a ticket was a super cool black dude, he friendly smiled & pointed to my radar detector and said, "You had your windows down didn't ya?"  I said, "Naw, had the radio up."  He laughed and said, "Yep, I knew it, cause that one would've gotten me.  Keep that radio down man, it don't help if ya can't hear it."  I laughed with him and told him thank you and to have a nice day.

Most cops are cool, the one last night was a simple young rookie prick.  For those who wanted to flame me, I hope you get a rookie prick on your next pullover who brandishes his authority and treats ya like a maggot... then see if you feel like ranting about a rude cop or not.  

I know the difference between being a stern cop and being rude.  Over the years I've been pulled over, had wrecks, even rear-ended a cop once.  I know rude, and this cop was rude before he saw anything, or before I said anything.  This guy just loved flaunting his authority.  Others in my past, have mostly been cool, even the ones that did give me tickets.

As for the making me feel like he thought I was gonna shoot him or something, don't get me wrong, it wasn't to the point where he was pulling his gun on me, but for a simple pullover in this rich little town and when I'm being very respectful, he talked to me rudely like he was just hoping I would say something and give him a reason to pull me out of my truck and show me what his authority really was.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds to me like you get in trouble a LOT! Listing all the times youve been pulled over, & how your detectore has saved you so often, & then you have the gaul to whine like a little girl who's breasts couldn't impress the officer enough to get you out of a jam. That's pretty sad. I guess the officer is a real jerk for doing his job.[rolleyes] Sounds to me like you got a slight taste of what you had coming.
I'm a bondsman, & frankly see your type come through my door all the time. I't s the prick COP's fault, I got arrested, I mean, they just wouldn't be cool, & let do what ever in the world I wanted to.
I have a suggestion for you sir. Grow the heck up, & start acting responsable for your own actions, & quite saying it's someone elses fault. It's part of being a man. Stop depending on your "connections"[leo uncle], & name dropping to get your sorry self out of a jam. How pathetic. Sorry you just sound like a little girl, who didn't get her way this time, & had to tow the mark, & is now laying on the floor kicking her feet, & crying.[rolleyes]
Sorry I don't have 1 ounce of compasion for you when you break the law on purpose, & get caught, & repramande for it. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well shows what you know about TN...
View Quote

Quoted:
Maybe you should learn to read the entire post...
View Quote

Quoted:
...You need to learn to read follow up posts...

...To those who gave words of support, thank you. [:)]
View Quote

[b]REALM[/b],

With all due respect, maybe YOU should learn not to ask for an objective opinion when an AFFIRMATION is what you are fishing for.

Those here who don't see this thing your way (me included) are not FLAMING you, we are simply giving you the opinion for which you asked.

If that opinion is not what you wanted, you have nobody but yourself to blame, IMO.  After all, we only got one side of this story, and YOU wrote that...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sounds to me like you get in trouble a LOT! Listing all the times youve been pulled over, & how your detectore has saved you so often, & then you have the gaul to whine like a little girl who's breasts couldn't impress the officer enough to get you out of a jam.
View Quote

Again, you suffer from not reading all my posts.  I stated that i don't mind getting the ticket, I've gotten tickets before and I was cool with it because the cops were cool, so your theory that I'm whining because I got a ticket... is cr*p.

That's pretty sad. I guess the officer is a real jerk for doing his job.[rolleyes] Sounds to me like you got a slight taste of what you had coming.
View Quote

Again, "R E A D".  I stated that I've met respectful cops that still gave me tickets and I'm fine with it cause I know they're just doing their job.

I'm a bondsman, & frankly see your type come through my door all the time. I't s the prick COP's fault, I got arrested, I mean, they just wouldn't be cool, & let do what ever in the world I wanted to.
View Quote

Again "R E A D".  I've gotten tickets before and have not whined, this is not whining cause I got a ticket.  I am angered at the rudeness which is hard to show in typing I suppose.

I have a suggestion for you sir. Grow the heck up, & start acting responsable for your own actions, & quite saying it's someone elses fault. It's part of being a man. Stop depending on your "connections"[leo uncle], & name dropping to get your sorry self out of a jam. How pathetic. Sorry you just sound like a little girl, who didn't get her way this time, & had to tow the mark, & is now laying on the floor kicking her feet, & crying.[rolleyes]
Sorry I don't have 1 ounce of compasion for you when you break the law on purpose, & get caught, & repramande for it. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
View Quote

I laugh at your ignorance.

READ THIS SENTENCE SLOWLY SINCE APPARENTLY THE 10 TIMES I WROTE IT BEFORE YOU COULD NOT GRASP IT.

"I have gotten tickets before.  I am not mad he gave me a ticket.  I admitted to him I was speeding and signed the ticket without one argument.  I never argue with a cop and never go to court to argue.  I have always been cool with cops who gave me tickets, it is their job.  I am mad because he loved to brandish his authority in a way I felt was uneeded rudeness and that he was just waiting for me to do something so he could drag me out of the car, and so I posted here and wanted to vent.

Just because you may have whined in the past about your tickets or others have on here, learn to read what I write, not what you think I wrote.  I admitted speeding like a man, which I wrote.  I was respectful and did not argue, which I wrote.

I'm sorry, but just because I've gotten pulled over a lot doesn't mean I'm a criminal.  My point in saying so was that I've never had a problem and never complained like this before, I've never blamed the cop, this cop was simply rude.

Ya'll are trying to make my statements out to be that I whined because the cop gave me a ticket and I am trying to blame him, but you are flat out wrong.  In my very first post I stated EXACTLY the contrary, I think ya'll just have some type of righteous self esteem so you read this and used it as an opportunity to flame someone for something you "want" to believe they are saying.  Honestly I've gotten tickets and could care less about the ticket.

I didn't come on here for affirmation, I just wanted to vent, but I WILL defend myself when you try to turn my statements into something I didn't say.

Your trying to make it look like I'm mad I've gotten a ticket... that's nothing new to me, and I've never gotten even irritated like this before, I'm irritated now because he was excessively rude and I have a right to vent, and a right to tell people on here they are ignorant because they are trying to turn my statements into something they want.

Thank you, and have a nice day.  Continue to flame me, but I'm sorry, any argument that says I'm mad because I got a ticket or because I'm blaming the cop is just cr*p that doesn't get to me at all cause I've gotten tickets and I know that's not it at all.  I've never argued any of my past tickets, it's their job, I was speeding, I take it like a man and pay that fine.

I actually smile at the insistence of some of you who try to make it out to be that I'm mad that I got a ticket.  Come give me another ticket, and you'll see how much I really don't care.  I can afford fines, so I do the crime, but rudeness when I am being respectful and him brandishing his authority with an evil grin I can't take.[:)]

EDITED TO ADD: I have no hard feelings toward any of you guys, you're all a great group of friends, but I do get a little PO'd when people don't read what I write and just see... "Guy gets ticket, guy complains about cop, must be a whiner."  Just not true in this case.  Tickets I can afford, on both my record and money, which is why I'm always respectful.  

Excessive rudeness like I received should not be allowed.  Sterness, no friendly chit chat, that is fine as they have a cr*ppy job, but the rudeness I got (while it could have been worse) was very uncalled for and I swear if I had said anything he didn't like I think the cop would have drug me out of my car and shown me his authority with a grin.  It was that blunt.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
[:|]

So he was somewhat less than courteous. Why make a federal case out of it? What are you going to do, contact his superiors and tell them that you didn't appreciate the tone of voice of the officer that pulled you over doing 14 over at 0200? I'm sure they'll have a very specific remedy to prevent further occurences of contact with Officer Not-So-Friendly: watch your speed.
View Quote

I've had people complain to my cheif because I wasn't friendly enough.  The bad thing is my chief actually investigated it.  More than once.  One time I was backup on a call and never said a word.  

What is funny is most people thing I'm one of the cool cops.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Here is my working procedure for who gets a ticket:

Name drop  (I've arrested a member of the legislature, ticketed Mary Lou Retton, Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, been offered  sex by three women in one car, and stopped Willie Nelson.  You knowing the LT's son does not impress)

Further,  if you name drop,  I write a note to the officer explaining how you are taking their name in vain.

Lie?  (Dude, I just WATCHED you do it)

Lame excuses? (Did let one lady go that stated her period had started and she was wearing white slacks.)

No insurance? Every violation I can find. Arrest and tow vehicle if multiple offense.  

Driving with license suspended?  Arrest, and inpound the car.

Radar detector? (speeding tickets are maybe one out of 30 for me)  Very big hit against you.

Outstandly stupid?   (backing thru an intersection for example).

No one,  with the exception of outstandingly stupid,  gets an automatic ticket.  The interview determines that.  You'd be amazed how many people talk themselves into a major spanking.  
View Quote

I couldn't have said it any better.
Except my only big ones were the Mayor's daughter (that led to a lot of shit)  and an FBI agent.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#34]
sherrick,

I hear that, but don't worry this isn't something I would complain about to authorities on.  Just wouldn't be worth it.  This guy just needs to learn that he's not the god of all and has no right to put people on edge.  I kept my cool and was respectful and didn't say one bad thing to this cop cause he had me freaked out with his tone.

If I had said something even semi-bad, like that his detector comment was wrong, I could seriously see this guy dragging me out of my truck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#35]
you were offered sex by Mary Lou Retton and a carload of Cowboys Cheerleaders?

And you're HERE instead of knee-deep in it?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
you were offered sex by Mary Lou Retton and a carload of Cowboys Cheerleaders?

And you're HERE instead of knee-deep in it?
View Quote

Three different occasions.  Mary Lou's, and the Cheerleaders  (two in the car) were the bitchiest, most obnoxious snarling females I have ever run across. Almost reached the point of use of force on the cheerleader. It was a PLEASURE finishing those stops.

The three ladies down from Dallas for a Clint Black concert were very nice.  Unfortunately,  there was that dash camera and mike, and wedding rings in view.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Hey Realm, maybe when he ran your plates as he was pulling you over, he saw all the other violations you had.  Maybe that pissed him off.

I'm sorry I have to agree with the majority.  If you hadn't been speeding you would have had no reason to have contact with the "rude" police officer.  If I was LEO, I would get pissed with the name dropping crap.  Just because you know or are related to a cop does not mean you can break the law and get away with it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm irritated now because he was excessively rude and I have a right to vent, and a right to tell people on here they are ignorant because they are trying to turn my statements into something they want..
View Quote

How about explaining how the cop was rude then. Others have already asked. Did he use profanity or racial slurs? Was he screaming? Did he ask you questions then cut you off as soon as you stated to answer? In what manner was he "rude."

From what you have written so far, it appears, that you tried to initiate a conversation, irrelevant to the traffic stop, by asking the officer what kind of day he was having. The officer ignored your attempt to start a friendly conversation during his lawful detention, and was all business. You mistook his abrupt, to the point, demeanor for rudeness.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm irritated now because he was excessively rude and I have a right to vent, and a right to tell people on here they are ignorant because they are trying to turn my statements into something they want..
View Quote

How about explaining how the cop was rude then. Others have already asked. Did he use profanity or racial slurs? Was he screaming? Did he ask you questions then cut you off as soon as you stated to answer? In what manner was he "rude."

From what you have written so far, it appears, that you tried to initiate a conversation, irrelevant to the traffic stop, by asking the officer what kind of day he was having. The officer ignored your attempt to start a friendly conversation during his lawful detention, and was all business. You mistook his abrupt, to the point, demeanor for rudeness.
View Quote

You know, I was on your side until you said that.  It's possible to be a rude asshole without swearing, screaming, or using racial slurs.  It's not WRONG, per se, to be a dick.  Just don't expect people to say, "Oh, he was unfriendly, but that's okay 'cuz Joe Friday was a dick too."  You might try NOT being an asshole to people from the get-go, and you might not have to get physical with them as much.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not shocked at all that you didn't get a ticket.  You make the stop a lot easier.

CR
View Quote

[lol]

What's the point in making it difficult? They had me DEAD TO RIGHTS both times!

Maybe I'm naive, but I believe that honesty when dealing with the law is always the best way to go, especially if you are an otherwise law-abiding citizen. I firmly believe the LEO's put up with so much CRAP as part of their regular day that having someone stop at once, treat them respectfully, and not feed them a complete line shocks them into giving you a break.

In short, treat them as if you know that they are simply doing their job, and you'll save yourself any number of headaches...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hey Realm, maybe when he ran your plates as he was pulling you over, he saw all the other violations you had.  Maybe that pissed him off.

I'm sorry I have to agree with the majority.  If you hadn't been speeding you would have had no reason to have contact with the "rude" police officer.  If I was LEO, I would get pissed with the name dropping crap.  Just because you know or are related to a cop does not mean you can break the law and get away with it.
View Quote

I haven't had a violation in nearly 2 years, so most should be off my record, and it's not a lengthy record.  I've had 3 speeding tickets and one redlight in my lifetime, as well as 4 wrecks, only 1 of which I was ticketed for and then dropped off my record due to recommendation of officer.

Forget the name dropping cr*p please, I said this WELL AFTER he was being excessively rude.  I shouldn't have even mentioned it I guess because I should have known some of the guys on here would make light of it when the rudness was well before I said that, and well before he saw my detector as well.  

I've said tht 4 times in this thread, some people do not listen.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Three different occasions.  Mary Lou's, and the Cheerleaders  (two in the car) were the bitchiest, most obnoxious snarling females I have ever run across. Almost reached the point of use of force on the cheerleader. It was a PLEASURE finishing those stops.
View Quote

Why doesn't that surprise me? [rolleyes]

Did Mary Lou threaten to blind you with her smile or crush you between her thighs? [:X*]

The three ladies down from Dallas for a Clint Black concert were very nice.  Unfortunately,  [red]there was that dash camera and mike[/red], and wedding rings in view.  
View Quote

Ahhhhhhhh, where would we be without progress, eh? [;)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You know, I was on your side until you said that.  It's possible to be a rude asshole without swearing, screaming, or using racial slurs.  It's not WRONG, per se, to be a dick.  Just don't expect people to say, "Oh, he was unfriendly, but that's okay 'cuz Joe Friday was a dick too."  You might try NOT being an asshole to people from the get-go, and you might not have to get physical with them as much.

YMMV
View Quote

Don't be picking on Joe Friday.

He wasn't personable, but he wasn't rude. He just wanted to stick to the facts and not chit-chat.

He was also by the book as far as his own behavior, and remembered who he worked for.

Would he make you feel better about yourself, because you suffered from low self esteem. NOPE. He had a job to do and he meant to do it.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh, and to answer the question of how he was excessively rude, it's hard to put in typing I guess, because it was more of his demeanor and the way he said everything and talked to me, like he loved being in a state of power and that he was just waiting for me to give him an excuse to do more than just finish writing his ticket.

I've had unfriendly cops before who were stern, this was NOT just stern, he was rude and you could tell he loved being in a position of power with his evil grin.  Seriously had me freaked.

I did not make excuses.
Forget the name dropping.
Forget the detector.
He was excessively rude WELL before either came into play.  

Some of you guys just will not let that die because it's the only thing you have to hold onto to try & flame me with, so I'll just keep smiling and ya'll can keep ignoring the fact that he was rude well before any of your reasons came into play (other than the fact that I WAS speeding).

As for speeding... unless you drive like grandma everywhere no one can jump on me for speeding a little.  Almost everyone goes a little over, and 54 on a 7 lane stretch with no cars in sight is NOT super speeding.  

Was it wrong?  Yes.  Did I deserve a ticket?  Yes... I don't deny that and I happily agreed I was speeding... but don't try & make me out to be some speed freak (54, my atv can go 54 for cryin' out loud) and some of you act like me speeding gives him a right to be excessively rude.  

Rude is one thing, acting like he just wanted an excuse to drag me from my car is another.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Then again maybe the night before he spent most of his shift scraping folks off a tree or similar.

You've had four wrecks, several tickets and a rd and you still haven't figured it out yet?

Name dropping or playing the relative card almost always guarantees it around here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Then again maybe the night before he spent most of his shift scraping folks off a tree or similar.

You've had four wrecks, several tickets and a rd and you still haven't figured it out yet?

Name dropping or playing the relative card almost always guarantees it around here.
View Quote

And yet we have another who fails to read follow up posts, but that's OK, I don't sometimes either, so let me fill you in.

He couldn't have ran my plates & known about my record when he first walked up to my car, because as soon as we stopped he got out and came up to my window and RIGHT THEN he was being VERY rude.  Not stern, I've had tickets & had stern from cops before which is fine, this guy was just rudely making sure "I" knew that "he" had authority and made me feel like he would drag me out of my car if I said one word he didn't like... like he was just praying I would give him a reason to do more than just write me a ticket.

Again, name dropping and him noticing the detector or running my record came AFTER his excessive rudeness.  I will state this until the cows come home until people stop using that as an excuse for his rudeness, those issues all came after his "god-like" power talk.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[rolleyes]..........[i][b][blue]"Whatever"[/i][/b][/blue]
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#48]
A cop in my home town asked me if I knew any cops in town on a speeding stop, I said yes and gave him some names, he says is that all?
I said no that my great granfather was the first police chief and served for 30 years.
He went to the radio and comes back and starts calling me a liar and and then tells me the first Chiefs name was Alexander, I said yep that was my Moms grandfather.
He turns red in the face and hands me my papers and no ticket and walks away not saying a word.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#50]
If I had to guess i would say you deserved that ticket. Speeding at 0200 hrs. Not handing him your license when he asked, trying to get out of the ticket by mentioning a family member who is a cop, handing him a CCW permit and expired insurance card etc. etc. etc....

I would guess that you were the prick and rude after you realized that you were getting a ticket and your plan to get out of it,(name drop, CCW ) was not going to work.

As for the other poster who said speeding stops are a way around the Constitution I say most all drunk drivers are stopped between midnight and about 0230 so it is a good idea to stop speeders because you could save thier lives or someone elses.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top