Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 9:35:39 PM EDT
Howdy all. This is not about *if* the AWB will end. This is about what to do *when* it ends. Please don't start a flame war here on the *if* topic. That's been done to death.

I live in the not-so great State of California. When the AWB sunsets what exactly should we do? Example: My M4gery has no bayo lugs. DPMS makes an ultra cool forged front sight tower with bayo lug. Should I buy one now and on the Day of Expiration attach it to my rifle? What then? Do I call somebody in DC and let them know I did it? Who? Do I lie and say it came that way from DPMS? How can I prove anything I say about tele stocks, bayo lugs and high-cap mags I might have? I have no paperwork on work I've done myself and in my rifle's case that's all of it. I can't prove squat. How, exactly, do we deal with this?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
since you are in california nothing will change for you when the federal AWB ends. Cali already has stricter laws that aren't going to sunset.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd start by moving out of Kahlifohrnea, but that's just me.  It's a good question though.  However, I can't answer because I'm not up-to-date on all your whacky gun laws over there.  I know the first thing I'm doing is buying an evil black rifle when it expires.  Hell, maybe I'll just start a fund now so I can order it the day the ban ends.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
California law will still be in force.  We get nothing when the AWB expires.

I plan to be out of here by Sep '04 come hell or high water.  I will be living in a Free American State and a buying binge will commence on the morning of September 14, 2004.

And Fineswine, Chucky, Lautenberg and the rest of those bastards can kiss my hairy ass.

[X]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Im going to start hunting for some new stuff, hopefully an AR-10 with all the evil stuff. Also going to pick up some highcaps for my glock to start with.

Im probaly also going to throw a big party.  Whos going to show up?  Probaly no body.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If your AR is already registered as an 'assault weapon' you will be free to add all the AWB features you like after the federal ban sunsets. Of course, if you haven't registered, you are also free to do as you like but beware the consequences.

The only time that you have to worry about this is if add CA AW features to a non-AW.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
since you are in california nothing will change for you when the federal AWB ends. Cali already has stricter laws that aren't going to sunset.
View Quote

word...
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
California law will still be in force.  We get nothing when the AWB expires.

I plan to be out of here by Sep '04 come hell or high water.  I will be living in a Free American State and a buying binge will commence on the morning of September 14, 2004.

And Fineswine, Chucky, Lautenberg and the rest of those bastards [red]can kiss my hairy ass.[/red]

[X]
View Quote

You too, huh?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Ya.  My friends and I are going to going to throw a party, too.  I'm pretty sure we'll be playing mix-n-match with all the AR's.

Reminds me of legos.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm installing collapsible stocks on every lower I own, and taking them next door, along with a newspaper, a Notary Public, and a Polaroid...

Big fun in the back yard!!!

God help the groundhogs....
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Magpul stocks for every AR I own (hopefully it's more than one by then[:)])

Oh I can't wait.  I will be so giddy and giggling like a little schoolgirl all the while.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:08:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Myself I would like to see the barrel length provisions of the 34 NFA changed.These are one of the dumbest laws I have seen. IMO 14 inch is the perfect length for a shotgun barrel for self defense.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:35:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I want the 86 MG ban gone..

We need cheap class 3 again, omg.

[:D]

Looks like it might be going that way for homemade (actually, any MG made in your state should be ok too).
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Taking the focus away from CA or other communist states . . .

My greatest fear is that the mfrs won't be able to supply the dealers fast enough to allow us to buy the parts/guns/hi cap mags we want before some more onerous law gets passed.

I hope that I'm wrong, but between state legistraitors and the feds, I expect that something will replace the current AWB shortly (within months) after "sunset". If this is the case, we'll want to react swiftly (but prices could be very high as demand outstrips supply) to stock up while we can.

It's too soon to ask, but as we get closer to Sept 2004, it could pay to ask our favorite dealers if the mfrs are promising them "new supplies" of items that currently are banned from mfr (for the unwashed masses) in time for the sunset.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#15]
The Colt M4 gets a 4 position stock and threaded barrel, plus a bunch of regular capacity mags for everything.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm installing collapsible stocks on every lower I own, and taking them next door, along with a newspaper, a Notary Public, and a Polaroid...
View Quote

This seems to be the only plan we have so far. I can see the late news now. "Notary's in fear: Gun lovers lay siege nationwide. Industry in a panic, but well paid."
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll be putting a real collapsible stock, 16" threaded M4 barrel with a phantom or bird cage flash suppressor, and new front sight with bayo lug on my AR. I'll also probably buy a bunch of regular capacity magazines for any and all guns I own at the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top