Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2003 6:51:27 PM EDT
I got tired of my 70's tech Star Tec, and decided to get a Motorola 730.

I know they have GPS in them. Can I get the GPS antenna disconnected by someone real smart, or do I have to keep it in my pocket in a tin foil pouch?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got a LG vx4400 and wondered the same thing.....
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean the 911 gps thingie???

I wonder if they fiter for phones that don't emit a signal for it?

>>of course, low tech answer is to remove the battery- but that may interfere with receiving calls.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I got tired of my 70's tech Star Tec, and decided to get a Motorola 730.

I know they have GPS in them. Can I get the GPS antenna disconnected by someone real smart, or do I have to keep it in my pocket in a tin foil pouch?
View Quote

By default it only comes on by dialing 911.  There really isnt much need to worry, if they wanted to find you they can still use good old fashioned triangulation.  I work at Verizon Wireless and honestly, I have never seen a tapped phone (they are REALLY easy for us to see).  We cant tell you if your phone is tapped, but we know if it is.  If you want, PM me and I will look for you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
By default it only comes on by dialing 911.
View Quote

So they tell me, I guess I need to keep it in a foil pouch! [;)]

There really isnt much need to worry, if they wanted to find you they can still use good old fashioned triangulation.
View Quote

That Im ok with, I dont mind anyone being able to see what part of town I am in, its the 8 digit grid coord I dont like sending a signal out on. What actual street address I am at is nobodys business, and I dont like carrying a ping around with me.

We cant tell you if your phone is tapped, but we know if it is.
View Quote

Huh?

So still no word on whether or not I can get the GPS sending unit killed or not?

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I am not a cell phone tech but this would help
[smash]

and get you back to the top
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top