Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 4:42:09 PM EDT
i live and work in kuwait, and do alot of driving around the country.  i am putting together a bag to keep in the trunk in case of emergencies...such as the car breaking down...getting stranded out somewhere...etc.    so far i have things such as MREs, water, GPS, flashlight, extra batteries, 2 way radios, D-rings, pouch of redman tobacco...and a few other small items...does anyone have any suggestions??  thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the survival forum, those boys will hook you up real quick, most everything is probably already posted for your viewing pleasure anyway
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
well, i could add liquor and firearms but both would get your legs cut off in kuwait............
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of the stuff in my bag:

Para cord
Signal mirror
whistle
multi-tool
fixed blade knife
space blankets
zip lock bags of assorted sizes
large trash bags
goggles (for wind/sand)
flight gloves
chem lights
first aid kit
rescue strobe
collapsible drinking cup
waterproof matches
sunscreen
bug repellant
toliet paper
MSR water filter

For water I use Platypus containers
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Some of the stuff in my bag:

Para cord
Signal mirror
whistle
multi-tool-check
fixed blade knife-check
space blankets
zip lock bags of assorted sizes
large trash bags
goggles (for wind/sand)-check
flight gloves
chem lights-check
first aid kit-check
rescue strobe
collapsible drinking cup
waterproof matches
sunscreen-check
bug repellant-check
toliet paper

For water I use Platypus containers

the rest are good ideas!! thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The rest of my pack just in case you want to go whole hog:

Compact down sleeping bag rated to 20 degrees
Self inflating ground pad
Compact 2 person tent
Multi-fuel stove (an MSR that burns white gas, low-grade kerosene, auto fuel, Stoddard solvent, aviation gas, diesel #1 and naptha).  I figure I’ll never be in a situation where I can’t cook and get some heat
2 small aluminum bottles w/ white gas (rather than 1 big one)
Small nesting camp pots/fry pan set
Compass
Compact binoculars
Plastic latrine trowel
Folding limb saw
Headnet (an absolute godsend when there are flies/mosquitoes around)
Snake bite kit
Headlamp

Food is energy bars and gels.  It’s compact and I’ve survived for a few days in the field on that and water and do well.  The cook stove/fuel/pans are for long term use.

I carry 2, 3 liter Platypus reservoirs in the bag.  One has a drinking tube the other is my reserve.  I keep a couple of gallons of water in my vehicle at all times along with more supplies , first aid stuff and tools.

Last but not least, a Leki trekking pole so I can manage to get around with this bitch of a pack without falling over and busting my ass
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The rest of my pack just in case you want to go whole hog:

Compact down sleeping bag rated to 20 degrees-check
Self inflating ground pad
Compact 2 person tent
Multi-fuel stove (an MSR that burns white gas, low-grade kerosene, auto fuel, Stoddard solvent, aviation gas, diesel #1 and naptha).  I figure I’ll never be in a situation where I can’t cook and get some heat
2 small aluminum bottles w/ white gas (rather than 1 big one)
Small nesting camp pots/fry pan set
Compass-check
Compact binoculars
Plastic latrine trowel
Folding limb saw
Headnet (an absolute godsend when there are flies/mosquitoes around)
Snake bite kit
Headlamp

Food is energy bars and gels.  It’s compact and I’ve survived for a few days in the field on that and water and do well.  The cook stove/fuel/pans are for long term use.

I carry 2, 3 liter Platypus reservoirs in the bag.  One has a drinking tube the other is my reserve.  I keep a couple of gallons of water in my vehicle at all times along with more supplies , first aid stuff and tools.

Last but not least, a Leki trekking pole so I can manage to get around with this bitch of a pack without falling over and busting my ass

the snake bite kit is a good idea also...i was also thinking of a fire starter kit of some sort.  as for the water..i have a case in the trunk, a bottle in the bag..and i also carry around a 3L Camelbak M.U.L.E. w/ me at all times.  thanks for the help Airwolf...i'll do an inventory when i get home this morning and post a list of what i currently have and what i plan to add!  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm curious, what is the firearm situation like there for civilians? Can you carry? Keep a carbine in the car, etc...?

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm curious, what is the firearm situation like there for civilians? Can you carry? Keep a carbine in the car, etc...?

Stay safe.
View Quote
unfortunately not amigo....no civilians are SUPPOSED to have firearms...american, kuwaiti, etc...PERIOD.  a little un-nerving at times...but i DO always at least have a knife on me.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[red]Stay safe.[/red]
View Quote
unfortunately not amigo....no civilians are SUPPOSED to have firearms...american, kuwaiti, etc...PERIOD.  a little un-nerving at times...but i DO always at least have a knife on me.  

View Quote

Someone needs to tell that to the assholes that were attacking American troops a few months back.  Oh, but wait a minute, gun laws are only designed to keep guns out of the hands of legitimate owners, not actually reduce crime, right?  Nevermind then.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top