Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2001 10:37:48 PM EDT
I need to get the F*** out of California. I would like to stay on the west coast, Nevada Oregon ect. What agencies have openings and what agencies are good or bad to work for. Right now I work for a mid-sized, 80 Deputies, Sheriff's department. Portland is too big and Mayberry is too small. I am a range master and chemical agents instructor.

Please let me know what is out there. I have been to officer.com and looked at the jobs posted there. If you guys know of any other web pages that post L.E. jobs let me know.

Thanks,
Luckystiff
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you ever considered working in a prison?  The west coast has many federal prisons and many are constantly hiring.  Working in a prison is not for all but the retirement is great, pay is pretty good and promotion potential (with very good pay)is excellent.  I would stick with federal pens over state and local prisons as we have the best pay rates, at least here in PA.  The BOP is building 30 new prisons in the next 10-15 years so the oppurtunities are endless.

And I almost forgot, Border Patrol is constantly hiring as well.  I know a few agents and they all love it, pay is incredible but the hours are a little tough.  Something else to look into tho.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear ya. I did some time as a corectional officer. It did not sit well with me. I like the streets. The Border Patrol holds no luster to me. Cool job just not for me.

I want to stay on a local level. I feel that this is were the rubber meets the road. I like fighting crime that affects my community on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I know for a fact that the agencies in the Seattle Area are [b]screaming[/b] for help.

If Seattle is too big (and it is),  how's about Tacoma,  Bellevue, Everett, Spokane or Yakima?

There are also many mid-size county sheriffs in WA that need you.  
Get in here Lucky!
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The entire Phoenix metropolitan area is hiring, and I believe that Arizona DPS is hiring as well.  There are many choices, and they are paying comptetively.

-Andy
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, if you MUST stay in that den of liberals you might want to check on Vancouver PD.  My best friend from high school and I started at my department together, but he left after three years and went up there.  According to him there are several different laws and departmental philosophies from Texas agencies, but he loves the area and the money.  Just a thought.

Saleen
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I know that Mesa, Az is hiring as of last month.
Here in NJ there are ad's daily on the radio for IRS agents.(ad says "IRS police"???) Not what I'd like to do, but to each his own...
Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top