Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 2:03:47 PM EDT
Do any of you attend Civil War Reenactments or anything like that? I am a member of Battery I, First Ohio Light Artillery and i love it. Our battery has a 10 Pound Parriot, a 12 Pound Mountain Howiter, a couple of 3 inch Ord. Rifles and countless others.

There are normally atleast a couple of Re-enactments per year somewhere in each state, a lot of them in my area. If you do get a chance to join any one of these units, DO IT! Its a little expensive but its worth it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Already do CW, among others. Got a 20 and 30lb Parrot, 12lb. Napoleon, 24lb. field howitzer. Also got a 12 Whitworth BLR and Armstrong BLR barrel, but no carriages for those yet. Rarely got enough crew for all the guns, but oh well. Can always go infantry sharpshooter or cav. Also do F/I and Rev war, 18lb, 12lb, and 3lb. guns there.

Bought a WW1 155mm from IMA, going to try and figure out a way to make it blank capable in a way that won't get me some time in a federal bed and breakfast and do WW1 as well.

Good way to kill a weekend now and again.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome. We are working on getting a 12 pound Nap. and a few others and when we have enough people to man it we bring out the 6 pounder if its going to be a big event.

I havent done Infantry, i am working on getting my tent and short sword and all the camp accesories first then i will work on my Infantry stuff.

glad to know there is fellow Reenactor here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been to 1 & I really enjoyed it. I was supposed to take my family to 1 today in Hempstead Tx, but because of my work schedual, & the reenactments schedual, it just wasn't going to work. We are looking for more in our area though. It is good for my son's edumacation. Toot toot!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to go to at least a dozen or more a year when I was a kid. My father is really big into CWR. He loves it so much he bought a house in Gettysburg, PA. IROC he is in the 2nd Wisconsin Inf.

I gave it a try when they did the 125th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. I had a good time because it was such a large event, and there were a lot of participants. The biggest negative for me was the wool uniform and the 100 degree days.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been to the Battle of Secessionville at Boone Hall Plantation, Mount Pleasant (Charleston), SC a couple times.  It's quite a gig.  From browsing the sutlers' row to wandering thr encampment, it's living history.  Then the battle itself is breathtaking- artillery, cavalry, and infantry.  

A local reenactment group (a NY outfit in SC no less- I can't remember the number, but they were called the Washington Grays) tried to recruit me a few years back.  I was sorely tempted, but had too much on my plate at the time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been to the Battle of Secessionville at Boone Hall Plantation, Mount Pleasant (Charleston), SC a couple times.  It's quite a gig.  From browsing the sutlers' row to wandering thr encampment, it's living history.  Then the battle itself is breathtaking- artillery, cavalry, and infantry.  

A local reenactment group (a NY outfit in SC no less- I can't remember the number, but they were called the Washington Grays) tried to recruit me a few years back.  I was sorely tempted, but had too much on my plate at the time.

The Charleston Chief of Police reenacts as a sergeant in the 54th Mass, IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope,  I do WWII.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
anyone have a link to see where the closest reenactment are?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Already do CW, among others. Got a 20 and 30lb Parrot, 12lb. Napoleon, 24lb. field howitzer. Also got a 12 Whitworth BLR and Armstrong BLR barrel, but no carriages for those yet.

Dang, Capt Redleg, that's quite a bit of powder hungry ordnance..  How much does the 30 lb Parrott use per shot?  I work in a unit that has 8 cannons - 2x 6 lb 1842 cannons, 4 x 10 lb/3 in Parrotts, and 2 x 3" Ordnance Rifles (originals).
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I like this guy's page www.geocities.com/cwfifedrum/
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Where are you located in NC?   The only regular ones I know of are at Bentonville, Ft. Fisher, and  the Bennett Place (Durham).   These are mostly of the "living history" variety.

73wcf4440
(Formerly 1st Sgt., Co. I, 51st NC Troops.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top