Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2003 11:33:06 AM EDT
what happens when you overload the max wattage to the generator does it just tripp the breaker and does it cause any damage to the generator?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The generator will not be able to supply the demand current, and things running off the generator may stop running. Running the generator in such a state will eventually overheat the windings, I think.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
the reason i am asking my gen is 5000 watt continuios and has max 6500 watt.thinking about having a transfer switch put in.i just don't want to hurt it if the fridge and freeze both kick in at the same time with a few other things running.
have been using running extension cords,they are ok but hate dragging them in and out.running them thru the windows!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I read a report on generators in Consumer Reports. I don't it will hurt the generator, but will cause whatever motors that was running off the generator to overheat and could possibily destroy it, such as refrig motors etc. Generaors have been discussed extensively in the suvivial forum, go there do a search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top