Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2003 9:52:23 AM EDT
What SAA replica is the best out of the box?  No tuning required.  I am looking at AWA and USFA.  These are the only two companies that I am looking at (no offense to those who like Uberti, Cimarron, Ruger, etc.).  Or should I just save for a Colt?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I work Saturdays and don't have time for the meets otherwise... but I asked a couple of fellas I know and they said Ruger. Sorry, know ya didn't want to hear it. But given that, sounds like you're savin' for a Colt.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Give the above site a try, you'll have to register but it's easy to do. I'm sure you'll get some good answers there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot CAS/SASS, and in my experence, Colts don't meet your "out of the box" requirements. I heard nothing but good things about the AWA models.

BTW, I've got four five Ruger Vaqueros. I love them. Easy to work on yourself, and built like a tank. Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to shoot SASS trust me get a Ruger my dad used vaqeruis and I had SAA clones. Kept breaking springs on the SAA but the rugers never had any problems.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:03:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The Rugers are by far the toughest and most reliable in the game, you won't wear it out anytime soon and you can load em up for hunting or other shootin without worry. Parts, spring kits, other tuning tricks, are readily available and easy to do. I'm happy with mine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I've two Vaqueros. They're great. I haven't heard about AWA, but USFA may not have the hardest barrels going. They're very pretty, but a gunsmith friend had to replace barrels on two of them and said they were soft. Save your money, get the Ruger.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been Cowboy Shooting for over 3 years with the wife and daughter.

We shoot 3 weekends a month.

If you want trouble free and quality buy RUGER Vaquero's or the adjustable sight Blackhawks.
If you have large hands look at the Bisley framed models.

The Rugers "slick up" real nice with just a spring kit (around $25 to $35) and will last a lifetime.

AWA makes a nice clone.

Beretta now has Uberti SAA's.

I prefer the RUGERS because they are TOUGH!.....and the most durable of the "Cowboy Pistols".

Stainless Steel cleans up REAL QUICK!

ENJOY!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Bob Munden, told me he will only use and or rebuild Colt SSA, and Ruger Vaquero's.

Man can that guy shoot! [:O]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Ruger, period. I have two in .44 mag, my daughter has two in .357 mag and I also have two Old Armies for cap 'n ball. Never an issue with any of them. If you want to slick them up, do a search on "Bunkhouse Spring Kit", it's the best one out there and you can do it at home in about 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#10]
There are 2 different "Bunk House Spring" makers.

This one is the nicest: http://www.cowboyactionshooting.com/pages/BunkhouseSpringKits.html
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to the show and feel the action of the AWA against ANY other out of the box Single action.

AWA is tuned right out of the box. I have a AWA and a cimarron and prefer the AWA. However I like the cimarron sight, It shoots right on for me and the AWA shoots a little low.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top