Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2003 6:04:30 PM EDT
When my wife told me about it, I almost choked on the venison tenderloin I was eating from the deer I killed and butchered this week.  We always have Thanksgiving dinner at my mom’s house, and this year it turns out that she invited a friend of hers whom I’ve never met to join us. This lady happens to be a Vegan. She won’t even eat the stuffing if it’s been inside the turkey.  My nephew usually asks me to tell my hunting stories during dinner, and I would hate to deprive the kid of a good story.  

I can see her horrified look already, “How can you possibly kill such a beautiful innocent creature !!?”  
“Easy, just line up the sights behind it’s shoulder and gently squeeze the trigger.”

This should be a very interesting dinner.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I do every year, with my veggie brother and his communist family. This year I'll be wearing my "Peace Through Superior Firepower" T-shirt, just because it's at his house.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
How long has she been traveling to get to your mom's? Vega is many light-years away.  

CW

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a '73 Vega.

(For a very short period of time.)
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
i happen to be a veg-head

for about 16 years now...

not once have i ever looked "down" upon anyone's choice of what they put on their plate.  

it is none of my business...

i choose not to eat meat...you choose to eat meat...and the problem is????

these self-righteous morons who gripe and bitch about eating animal products drive me insane...

assume that she will stare at you in extreme disgust...stare right back...she is free to live her life as she chooses, and you are free to live yours...

so, i say, enjoy your Turkey day..tell your stories...she doesn't have to listen...

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
... That is a tasty burger...

... my girlfriend is a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian, but I do love the taste of a good burger ...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't mind the vegetarians who choose not to eat meat for personal health reasons, it's the ones who choose to be a vegetarian because of the "cruelty to animals" bullshit I can't stand.
I have a coworker who is like that. She's pretty new at it though, and on occasion we get an ear-full when we're making lunch arrangements. The funny thing is, we realized the other day that she seems to have no problem wearing leather jackets, carrying leather purse and wearing leather pumps, sooooo we just can't wait for her to make the next comment about the animal thing. We're like wolves waiting to pounce on this one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]
never met, or know of a veggie person....however, if they choose not to eat meat that is their call. it's when they insist that everybody else should be a veggie, and force their views on you when it isn't asked, is where they step over the line.

personally I believe you would be a immature horse's ass, and really just show how big of a idiot you really are, if you plan of poking fun at her becasue of her choice....if she doesn't say anything offensive against you, like, "your a animal murder" etc...then why are going to make fun of her?

it's the same with religion and just about anything else.....as long as they keep it to themselves let them do whatever they want.

I don't pray or believe in a "god" but when everybody else is busy doing that at the thanksgiving dinner table....I just sit and look straight ahead, I don't slam their beliefs for that, and they don't slam mine.....it's called being civil.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Alicia Silverstone was on TV she said she was a Vegan and having Tofurkey for her meal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Sig line on another board I saw:
"Vegetarian: Old indian word meaning poor hunter"
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife is a vegan, but often cooks meat for the reaminder of the family. I gotta do the tenderizing however, she gets ill at the thought.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Funniest line I ever heard about vegetarianism:

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables."
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I would tell your nephew to hold on the hunting stories request.

Enjoy your turkey and let the vegan eat her tofu crap.

CRC
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I once gave my vegitarian friend bbq pork rhinds. He thought they where potato chips.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was a young JBT, I had to chase down a vega once and issued the driver several citations, speeding, equipment violations, and loud mufflers.  Those vegans are hethans, be careful I tell you.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:00:50 AM EDT
[#17]

I've got both an Aunt and an Uncle (moms brother and sister) who are both vegetarians.

My Aunt comes and eats with the family every holiday. She brings some type of non meat dish just in case we forget to make her something.
If she has any opinions about us eating meat, she keeps them to herself. No problem.

My Uncle, on the other hand is a radical loon PETA type vegetarian. Needless to say, we haven't seen him in about 20 years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've got both an Aunt and an Uncle (moms brother and sister) who are both vegetarians.

My Aunt comes and eats with the family every holiday. She brings some type of non meat dish just in case we forget to make her something.
If she has any opinions about us eating meat, she keeps them to herself. No problem.

My Uncle, on the other hand is a radical loon PETA type vegetarian. Needless to say, we haven't seen him in about 20 years.

I have been a vegetarian for many years and I don't push it on anybody. There is a difference between being a "vegetarian" and a "vegan". A true vegan will use no animal products whether for food, clothing or shelter or anything else for that matter.

"I see dead animals!"

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have been a vegetarian for many years and I don't push it on anybody. There is a difference between being a "vegetarian" and a "vegan". A true vegan will use no animal products whether for food, clothing or shelter or anything else for that matter.

"I see dead animals!"

This woman is a Vegan, not a vegetarian. I'm not planning on being an a**hole by going out of my way to talk about hunting, but I will defend myself & my beliefs if I'm attacked.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#20]
My brother was a vegetarian for a while during college...we'd make Tofurkey for him on Thanksgiving, etc.

Then he joined the Navy. That cured him of his silly vegetarianism

It's not a big deal. One of the women I work with is a vegan. She's got no problem with what other people eat, if they hunt, etc. She just doesn't like meat, and won't touch any food made from an animal (including milk, butter, etc..in general.)

Tho, sometimes, I bring her some biscuits from Popeye's...she can't say no to those

Contrary to popular belief, most vegans that I know of aren't beating the PETA drum; they just made a lifestyle choice about what they'll eat. They don't want to get grief over it, so why should they comment on what a carnivore eats, too?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your mom invited her over, she already knows what she's getting into. Your mom would have told her. Fret not
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Wear a lot of leather at the table, leather vest, leather belt, a leather cap, leather shoes, a leather wallet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I read this as "Virgin" and couldn't figure out what your issue was ... "vegan" never mind.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I have never "had dinner with"a vegan,but my new girl friend shaves hers'.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Vegatables are what FOOD eats!     If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made 'em out of MEAT.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Vegatables are what FOOD eats!     If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made 'em out of MEAT.

Now that is a deep thought. Did you think of that on your own?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top