Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2003 9:35:59 AM EDT
It's my first bike, a 2002 Katana 600 with only 1,700 miles on it.  It's supposed to be 70 today and tomorrow and then snow on Monday!  At least I'll be able to ride it a little bit this season.  For those concerned about my safet, I've already taken the MSF class, have a full face helmet, gloves, and a riding jacket with armor.  Plus I will be taking it easy.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#1]
NICE !!!!  

When I decided to have my mid-life crisis early this year, I was having a hard time deciding between an old muscle car to restore, or a slightly used bike like yours.

Enjoy!!

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's my first bike, a 2002 Katana 600 with only 1,700 miles on it.  It's supposed to be 70 today and tomorrow and then snow on Monday!  At least I'll be able to ride it a little bit this season.  For those concerned about my safet, I've already taken the MSF class, have a full face helmet, gloves, and a riding jacket with armor.  Plus I will be taking it easy.

hayabusa.bikepics.com/suz-gsx600-02-bikepics-25836.jpg

SWEET!!!!

I loved my 600, had plenty of power and still light enough to throw around a little bit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice bike, Swire! Take care and take good care of it!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#4]
hope you have good insurance!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NICE !!!!  

When I decided to have my mid-life crisis early this year, I was having a hard time deciding between an old muscle car to restore, or a slightly used bike like yours.

Enjoy!!

Although I like bikes also I think you made the right choice with your Rustang.....it's kinda hard to fall off of a car & old bones don't heal as fast  

Nice crotchrocket SWIRE, I'm more into standards (old CB500/4 Honda, etc) than sportbikes but a 600 is at that "just right" size.  Small & light enuff to be easy to manuever (& pick up when it gets dropped) & big enuff to scoot down the road at a fast pace.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#6]
That looks like just the ride for "taking it easy".
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice, I've been thinking about getting a 600 soon for myself too :)
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Watch out for gravel gremlins...

Nice looking bike.  I never could get over that taillight though .
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#9]
You be carefull now, you hear. Nice motor.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Mmmm....Crotch rocket!

That's a good looking bike.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#11]
He. You guys don't know jack shit about motorcycles, and some of your attitudes make me wonder if you are secret gun banners, since the shit you spout about motocycles sounds just like the crap that comes from anti-gunners about guns.

The "new" series of Katana Suzuki motorcycles are not "crotch rockets" just because they have full fairings and flashy graphics on them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The "new" series of Katana Suzuki motorcycles are not "crotch rockets" just because they have full fairings and flashy graphics on them.

Well technically it's classified as a sport touring bike but basically neither class wants to claim it.  The sport bike people do not consider it a real sport bike.

I took my MSF class on a cruiser.  I think I might like those better.  But for now this one will do.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]
The shop that I got the bike from had a matching pair of these.  The other one had a custom windscreen and a racing exhaust and 3 times the miles.  From what I can tell a couple bought the pair and the girl didn't ride as much as the guy.  So I'm guessing that the 1,700 miles on the bike were most likely put on in a gentler manner.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He. You guys don't know jack shit about motorcycles, and some of your attitudes make me wonder if you are secret gun banners, since the shit you spout about motocycles sounds just like the crap that comes from anti-gunners
about guns.

[:\]  Who pissed in your Cheerios?  

I was unaware that "crotch rocket" was a trademarked name or had a hard & fast definition, being slang & all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
He. You guys don't know jack shit about motorcycles, and some of your attitudes make me wonder if you are secret gun banners, since the shit you spout about motocycles sounds just like the crap that comes from anti-gunners about guns.

I don't know shit about bikes, but it still looks like a crotch to me asshole!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#18]
1700 miles is hardly broken in, it's still like new.  Don't listen to the people who say "it's only a 600."  Most modern 600's are capable of around a 3-4 second 0-60.  How many cars are that fast?  Not many.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"Crotch rocket" is like "Assault rifle" (as in "That's not an assault rifle because it's not fully automatic") some bike guys don't like it. It is a term "anti"s" (anti bikers) like because it has a negative connotation and judge the bike by appearance, rather than performance.

personally I don't care, it's like calling magazines "clips" just shows you don't know anything about the subject matter.

Good thing aimless is around to clairify things.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"Crotch rocket" is like "Assault rifle".

You started off strong, this is how I would have finished that comment,

.....because similarly to the assault rifle title, "crotch rocket" can apply, merely via the bike's appearance.  The term has nothing to do with actual performance, but rather the sitting position, location of the handlebars, lack of a bearded fat bellied rider () and full fairings.

That's how I would describe it.  Like Feinswein and Hitlery,  I know a crotch rocket (assault weapon) when I see it!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#22]
As someone that has been riding motorcycles for 25 years, the Katana is a crotch rocket.  Although the Cafe Racers (standards with cafe fairings) were the original crotch rockets, the fully faired forward leaning bikes took their place.  Although slightly mellowed in the riding position, the Katana still falls under that category.  You have cruisers (harleys, Honda Magna, suzuki Shadow etc...), touring bikes (Gold wing, Harley glide series, BMW RT's etc...) Standards (Honda Sabre [82-85] CB's, Suzuki GSE's etc) and crotch rockets.  This started with the Honda Interceptor and the like bikes of the early 80's.  From there, the bikes have gotten faster and the fairings more like body panels than something to tuck in behind.  So, aimless, get a life and quit going spastic because your experience with bikes is just a few years and you know nothing about the history of the motorcycle.  Just remember, in 1963 that Honda sold the model CA95 Benly (150 cc 2cyl 4 stroke weighing 200#) as a touring bike.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The new katanas could be completely different though-they do LOOK like the old Katanas. I always wanted one of the (I think now disconitnued) 1100s. Very nice bike, had a silly electric window that went up and down so you could adjust it for you speed and so on. The 1100s and 750 sometimes had less wild graphics than the 600s also.

Hey, aimless, a pal of mine in the PA/NJ area is selling a Kat 1100 in good condition, if you're interested, I can put you in touch.

Swire,

A first motorcycle is a learning experience. Pay no attention to all the bluster about what kind of bike anyone says it is or what it is "supposed" to be used for. As you continue over time in your riding career, your tastes, and perhaps even your needs, will change and evolve. the Kat 600 is a fine motorcycle, and will last just about forever if you take care of it and keep the oil changed. It has enough speed to satisfy all but the most jaded ricky road racer type, (believe me, I know. I used to wrench at a Suzuki shop.) and is comfortable enough to go long distance on, and it handles well.

Remember, the MSF class is just a starting point. You should consider trying to practice the skills you got in the class on an ongoing basis, especially braking. Find a safe place and work on your emergency braking. You WILL need it someday, and you will be well served by having practice time under your belt. I have been riding for 25+ years and I still practice.

Pick up a nice tank bag with a map window on the top of it. Very handy, and having a map makes wandering around through the back roads more fun. You can also keep rain gear and an extra layer in there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

See sig line.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#25]
"Sharp" looking bike.  Don't stop too fast or you might cut yourself.LOL.  Good choice, enough power and easy to manuver around in traffic.  Have fun, ride safe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Congratulations, SWIRE, and do be careful always. Riding a motorcycle is very much like owning firearms - it's not for everybody, and those that don't ride will be among the first to talk out of their ass about all their preconceived notions about the safety of motorcycles. The Gold Wing crowd vs. the sportbike crowd, to me, is very much like the trap and skeet guys vs. AR/AK types: "What do you need that for?" Fuck 'em. Ride what you like, and have a blast. Just remember that the dolt in the cage ain't looking for you, so you damn well better be looking for her.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top