Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 10:22:11 PM EDT
I recently emailed Lyndon LaRouche(D) after being solicited on campus to add my name to a petition so that he could be added to the ballot for President in 2004, because I didn't want to sign without knowing anything about the guy. Not that I have plans to change my mind overnight and vote for him but I asked him in the email what his stance was on CCW and the AWB as these are important issues to me. His response was

I am against the practice of campaigning around a collection of
what are, or might be called "single issues."  The voter who is
often lured into preferring one or another candidate or party on
such short lists of issues, usually ends up fooled.  They are fooled
because focussed on a few selected, "litmus test" issues blinds
them to the larger context in which the net effects will actually be
determined.  In this way, voters are misled by their narrowly
focussed emotions, into voting for someone, or something which
they come to regret later.

In my campaigns, my general concern is to afford the citizen
an accurate image of who and what I am, essentially, and to do
that by aid of presenting my comprehensive programs of economic
and other reforms of national and foreign policies. The point is, to
afford the citizen the opportunity to see inside me, and thus judge
for himself or herself what I am likely to do about almost
anything.
My website provides the most extensive insight into the
details of who and what I represent of any Presidential candidacy
today.  The emphasis there is upon my commitments, my mission,
and my understanding of the leading issues of the nation and the
world today.  I think you would find most of the questions of your
choice answered there.

I responded by saying "That's what I thought" and thanked him graciously for taking the time to write me back. Where I'm going with this is that many people do hold certain 'Single Issues' to a higher standard than others (in our case 2nd Ammendment), what would he do if asked this in a debate? Refer the person to his website and more double talk?

On a side note I have been attempting to educate some friends/co-workers on our 2nd ammendment rights but have been having trouble getting through to them, they write me off as 'crazy for liking/wanting to own firearms.' Does anyone have any recommended readings or information I could use to help me along? I have been considering having a forum regarding the issue. Anyway thanks for reading my post.

Tae

http://larouchein2004.net/

EDIT: added link
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is the link on his page regarding 'Abortion and Gun Ownership'

http://larouchein2004.net/pages/questions/email/dialoguewla010.htm
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Here is the link on his page regarding 'Abortion and Gun Ownership'

http://larouchein2004.net/pages/questions/email/dialoguewla010.htm

Yea, he managed to not answer that one clearly either... But look at the bright side, he didn't point us to another website to search for the answer again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]

On a side note I have been attempting to educate some friends/co-workers on our 2nd ammendment rights but have been having trouble getting through to them, they write me off as 'crazy for liking/wanting to own firearms.' Does anyone have any recommended readings or information I could use to help me along?

www.a-human-right.com/

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Airwolf I'll be emailing some links later :)

Tae
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Pick up a copy of John Lotts "More guns, less crime." Lott is an intellegent person who backs up his arguments with cold, hard facts.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I read, it looks like the tipical politition "talk alot but say nothing".  I didn't see where he anwsered a single question but he sure said alot.

As far as not being a single issue politition, most people vote because a canadate agrees with them on just a few issues.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
On a side note I have been attempting to educate some friends/co-workers on our 2nd ammendment rights but have been having trouble getting through to them, they write me off as 'crazy for liking/wanting to own firearms.' Does anyone have any recommended readings or information I could use to help me along? I have been considering having a forum regarding the issue. Anyway thanks for reading my post.

Here ya go. I started this thread a couple days ago. It didn't get much attention then. Maybe it can help you out!

Don't give up fighting! Write your elected reps!

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=216271&w=myTopicPop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top