Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2003 8:54:52 PM EDT
I'm working on "Militant Islam Reaches America," by Daniel Pipes. He draws very clear distinctions between Islam and militant Islam. I don't think the black and white that he sees is as stark as he describes it, but it's an educational read.

Next up is "Preachers of Hate: Islam and the War on America," by Kenneth R. Timmerman. Here is a short interview with him on National Review Online.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Unintended Consequences
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Colonization: Aftershocks by Harry Turtledove.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Memoirs of the Second World War - Sir Winston Churchill.

Most of my reading about WWII has been either aviation or naval related so it's been a interesting to see the war from it's roots with the defeat of Germany in 1918 forward from someone who was intimately involved in a way few others in history have been.

Only up to the collapse of France.

This is an abridged work (only 1,065 pages!) that combines the six volumes of Churchill's The Second World War.  It's been good enough that I'm considering getting the 6 original volumes to see the nuances and details that were left out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
"Chaos" by Gleik

Why isn't there a math/physics/nerd choice???
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Well my forensics science text book was just finished, as for what I'm reading now, its this text, thats about it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Atlas Shrugged, God help me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I highly recomend, The New Jackals, American Jihad, and Masterminds of Terror.  

All three dove tale well, and read them in the order listed. New Jackals is about Ramsey Yousef and the first WTC bombing.  American Jihad is about terrorists living in the US.  It re-enforces The New Jackals (when I was living in New York, I found myself looking at the addresses and locations named in the book(s).  Masterminds of Terror, is the capture of Ramsey Bin Al-Shib and Kahlid Sheik Mohammed. It also details the murder of Daniel Pearl, and the planning of the 9/11 attacks.  Pretty scarry stuff to read.

After these I went back to reading my WWII stuff.  Right now I'm reading The Fall of Berlin 1945, about the Russian battles to take the city at the end of WWII.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
smokycity: I get off on tangents and read a couple of books on similar topics. Before this I read a couple of books by POWs and, before that, two TSHTF TEOTWAWKI type books.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
"Great Lakes Shipwrecks & Survivals"
By William Ratigan

ISBN 0-8028-7010-4
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Bedwetting: Beat it Through Self-Hypnosis by I.P. Freely.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
smokycity: I get off on tangents and read a couple of books on similar topics. Before this I read a couple of books by POWs and, before that, two TSHTF TEOTWAWKI type books.

Another excellent book is "On Killing: the Psychology of Warfare".  Deals with the how training methods, and in particular, current movies and video games have conditioned people to kill easier. Very interesting read.  Good part is that if you are a well rounded, moral individual, you will be "OK" if you ever are involved in a "justified" shooting.

I'm trying to find a copy of "In Search of the Warrior Spirit" (currently it's out of print), supposed to be another excellent companion book to On Killing.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]
History of the Egyptian Empire. An original printed in 1736. Lots of good stuff in there about the wars fought by the Egyptians.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I am currently on "None Braver" by Michael Hirsh. It is about U.S.A.F. Pararescuemen in the war on terror in Afghanistan.

Very good book....

Rob
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
John R. Lott "More Guns, Less Crime."

Great book!  His understanding of the statistics and his ability to show how Anti's are misguided in their approach to gun legislation is astounding.  It's a big eye-opener if you've never read it.  He just recently published an article about the Myths of the AWB.  His article pointed out just how much liberals don't understand about the AWB and that they're knowledge of "assault weapons" is piss poor.  

I'll be reading Lott's "Biased Against Guns" next.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Another excellent book is "On Killing: the Psychology of Warfare".  Deals with the how training methods, and in particular, current movies and video games have conditioned people to kill easier. Very interesting read.  Good part is that if you are a well rounded, moral individual, you will be "OK" if you ever are involved in a "justified" shooting.

I disagree with a lot of Colonel Grossman's conclusions. Also, the basis for his thesis regarding rates of fire in wars is SLA Marshall's "Men Against Fire," in the latest edition of which there is an interesting introduction. The editor quotes a colleague of Marshall's talking about how Marshall admitted making up the much quoted 15% figure for WWII soldiers.

Even though Col. Grossman knows about this, he totally glosses over it and continues to refer to Marshall's work as authoritative.

I'm trying to find a copy of "In Search of the Warrior Spirit" (currently it's out of print), supposed to be another excellent companion book to On Killing.  

I have read this also, and will lend you my copy if you promise to get it back to me when you finish it. No offense, and I only say that because I've got a few books out there that I already stand little chance of ever seeing again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree with a lot of Colonel Grossman's conclusions. Also, the basis for his thesis regarding rates of fire in wars is SLA Marshall's "Men Against Fire," in the latest edition of which there is an interesting introduction. The editor quotes a colleague of Marshall's talking about how Marshall admitted making up the much quoted 15% figure for WWII soldiers.

Even though Col. Grossman knows about this, he totally glosses over it and continues to refer to Marshall's work as authoritative.

I have read this also, and will lend you my copy if you promise to get it back to me when you finish it. No offense, and I only say that because I've got a few books out there that I already stand little chance of ever seeing again.

I really didn't get into the stats side of the book.  I did find it a little hard to fathom the idea that so few actually fired thier weapons up until after WWII.

I just found the psychology of being involved in an actual firefight/shooting very interesting; and know that one can deal with it and not turn into either, a homicidal lunatic or a sniveling "give peace a chance" moron, good to know.

As far as borrowing your copy of the book, Thank You, but I wouldn't want to borrow something I might want to keep on my own shelf.  I eventually will find a copy of my own someplace I can buy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#18]
War As I Knew It, George S. Patton Jr.  This is one hell of a read.  also anything I can find regarding the Battle of Thermopylae and the 300 Spartans.  I have a presentation to give in a coupla weeks and would like more background.  Ops
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
also anything I can find regarding the Battle of Thermopylae and the 300 Spartans.  I have a presentation to give in a coupla weeks and would like more background.  Ops

I'm sure you've read Gates of Fire, by Stephen Pressfield and The Histories, by Herotodus.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Multiple answers possible.
Fiction – Stephen Kings latest volume of the Dark Tower series.  “The Wolves of the Calla”.
Fiction – 1632.
Non-Fiction – Magazine, Small Arms Review, December 2003.
Non-Fiction – Magazine, Strategy & Tactics Number 218.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#22]
"Army at Dawn"  Rick Atkinson

I love WWII.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Just started Stephen Hunter's "Time to Kill."

Just finished "Enemies Foreign and Domestic." Not as good as UC, but an enternaining read.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Just finished "Wolves of the Calla" by Stephen King. Fifth in the Dark Tower series. Great book!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#25]
"The Conquerers", Based on Roosevelt and Truman during WWII.

Before that "Angels&Demons" then "The Davinci Code"; both by Dan Brown.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:43:47 AM EDT
[#26]
"Hatred's Kingdom How Saudi Arabia Supports the New Global Terrorism"  by Dore Gold. Very interesting read about how the founding of Saudi Arabia is tied to fanatical Wahhabi Islam and how those ties have come to create the current situation. It gets into how Wahhabi Islam isn't anti-west, it's anti anything that isn't Wahhabi Islam, including  being anti Sunni and Shiite Islam.
(editted for spelling)
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:44:10 AM EDT
[#27]
The morning paper.

..I consider it fiction.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:50:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, William L. Shirer.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:17:04 AM EDT
[#29]
The South Was Right! by James Ronald Kennedy
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:20:05 AM EDT
[#30]
The only thing I am reading is your post on here...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:21:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

half.ebay.com/search/search.jsp?nthTime=1&product=all&keyword=In+Search+of+the+Warrior+Spirit

The internet is your friend.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:23:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Just finished "Wolves of the Calla" by Stephen King. Fifth in the Dark Tower series. Great book!

shit, he's up to 5?  I remember one and two came out years ago and then he quit.  Guess I've been out of the loop. Maybe getting hit by that car gave him more time at home to write?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:35:45 AM EDT
[#33]
"The Standard Book of Etiquette" by Lillian Watson, 1948.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#34]
"Scars of Honor: a novel of the Russian Front."
A blood-n-guts story of combat in 1943 Russia about the time Smolensk was retaken by the Soviets. Great story with a good plot and lots of action.

Panzer Out
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#35]
About the only thing I read is the newspaper or a magazine and then never read it from cover to cover.  Just certan things that strike my interest.  Don't think that I have ever read a book from cover to cover;  not even when I was in school.  Although; I do a lot of reading on this site.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#36]
[blonde] ... Duh! Your post [/blonde]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#37]
ONe of the best fiction books I've ever read:

AGYAR
by Steven Brust

Verrrrrry good book.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:20:32 AM EDT
[#38]
You don't have enough categories in your poll.
I am currently reading "The Ghost in the Universe" by Taner Edis, a skeptical examination of the supernatural.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Band of Brothers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Persecution - David Limbaugh

Mind-boggling!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#41]
"Charlie Wilson's War"  by George Crile
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Unrepentant Sinner  Col. Charles Askins
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg

Finish Clancy's Teeth of the Tiger. a while back.

Ordered Bedford Boys this week from the MBC.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#44]
The Wolves of the Calla.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Mystic River - Dennis Lehane

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

What do ya think of it so far?
My recents:
Electrician's Pocket Manual by Paul Rosenberg
Get a Grip on Physics by John Gribben
It's not how good you are, It's how good you want to be by Paul Arden
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My recents:

It's good!  You can take the names and deeds, and EASILY fill them with your own lifes experiences and people who you have met.

But GOOD LORD, Rand can BEAT a dead horse!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#49]
I started Unintended Consequences last night, for the second time this year.
AB
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My recents:

It's good!  You can take the names and deeds, and EASILY fill them with your own lifes experiences and people who you have met.

But GOOD LORD, Rand can BEAT a dead horse!

Would you write down the progression of what the question 'Who is John Galt?" represents.  It changes slightly everytime it is asked.  I didn't do that when I read it, and now I wish I had.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top