Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 5:42:23 PM EDT

I decided to start carrying, what I need to do now is decide what gun I need and buy it.

I was thinking that a S&W 340PD would be the best there is, but I want you'se guys expert opinions...

What do you think and what do you use now?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
packing.org covers some of that.
My advice is rent a couple and see what works for you.
Personal preference is 5 shot .38 or XD sub-compact.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
What pistol are you most comfortable shooting in all conditions?
Is that pistol reliable?
Is it chambered in the largest caliber you can fire consistenly accurately?
Is that pistol reasonably concealable?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
XD
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
M82A1
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have carried both a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm (and once or twice a p-32) and the new Springfield Subcompact XD-9. The Kel-Tec is great if your on a budget but its no target pistol. Mine always worked 100%...

Go with the XD Sub... you wont be sorry. Mine will shoot 2" groups with RangerT at 25 yards from a rest, and at 7 yards off-hand rapid fire w/combat reload, two mags worth of T is gonna put about a 5 inch hole in a dirtbags chest.

Try www.HS2000talk.com for lots of info on the XD...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Yikes! You first.

What are you familiar with? What can you handle accurately and safely? What can you conceal well on your build? What are your laws like (some states require the gun be *completely* concealed or it's brandishing)?

Personally, I'll carry a KelTec P32 in shorts-only weather, a Glock 21 when I'm wearing a parka and a Kahr MK9 pretty much any other time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Five shot .38 or .357 light pocket gun
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Sylvan had it right.  Find out what's best for you.  A revolver or pistol.  Who knows.  I like the Glock 26.  If you carry CCW, most of your potential shots will be made within 10 yards.  Past that you may have court problems.  Caliber is another choice.  Find out what you're comfortable shooting.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
My all time fav CC weapon was a Star PD .45. I don't even know if they're still made. I got stupid and sold it. I loved that gun. Shot like a dream and packed easy.

Another skeleton in my closet.......
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I prefer a flat semi-auto to a revolver.  S&W 3953 here.  

In this day and age, the variety of suitable CCW guns is staggering.  A good thing!

DrMark
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#11]
5 shot .38.

In a carry piece, the watchword is SIMPLICITY.
If you ever have to use it, it will be a case of high fear and near panic.

After you use it, you'll have a serious King-Sized case of the shakes.

with a revolver, it's point and pull. Afterwards, there's little chance of shooting your balls off because you forgot to decock or set a safety.

FWIW, I've built SEVERAL 1911s, love 'em, feel comfortable with them, but STILL carry a 5 hole .38.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Happyface, which one is the 340? I carry the 342PD (titanium model hammerless .38).  I like it a lot because I can just about carry it anytime.  It's very light and doesn't bug me.  I also have a SIG SP2340 that I'll carry sometimes under the jacket but usually it's the S&W with a speedloader (make sure and get a few of those btw).

Oh ya, PRACTICE! That gun really hurts my hand when I shoot too because it's so light but hey, you can't have it all .
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I always liked the subcompact Glocks.  I had a G33 which is .357 Sig.  9+1 rounds, no safety to worry about and very reliable.  I think I would go with the .40 S&W G27 now that there are plenty of good rounds for it.

Worked for me
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one of those S&W 342s revolvers(titanium cylinder, aluminum frame, and SS barrel). They are good revolvers, but shooting even factory wadcutter target ammo, the recoil is fairly sharp to say the least, weighing in at 12 ounces empty, it is real easy to carry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Glock 23 is what i carry. not so small you can't hold on to it, but small enough to conceal by just about anyone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Glock 29.  

Danny
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Ruger SP101 .357MAG spurless 5-shot revolver

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Carry a Desert Eagle. Anyone that tells you what you should carry is WRONG. Its like asking what kind of car you should buy. How the hell should I know!?! Anyway, for assistance, biggest gun you can practically and comfortably carry is best. Obviously you cant carry a 1911 in gym shorts and a tank top, but you might be able to tuck in a small 38. Why carry a 38 in the winter when you have a huge jacket on and can handle a 1911 both comfortably and practically. Get to know what you like to shoot. Ask people if you can buy a box of ammo and run it through their gun. 99% of the time (if you or they arent assholes) they would be more than happy to help you. Hope that I could be of help.
-Keith  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#19]
And remember:

Some 'larger' calibers only work well in long-ish barrels. If you're gonna get a gun with a 3.xx inch barrel, don't get it in 9mm (which, like .223, is a velocity-dependant round). 45 will be a little less barrel-length dependant, otoh...

Also, make sure you can shoot the caliber AND gun effectively... Don't say 'Hey, I'm a good shot with my Beretta 92FS, so I'll be a good shot with a 9mm single-stack polymer subcompact'...

And if the only round you can hit with out of a small weapon is a small round, one .380 to the chest is a lot better than a .45 high-right into the wall...

So go to the range, and rent some guns... Everyone's different in their preferences...

As for me, it's gotta be small, semi-auto, and either single action or DA/SA, with an exposed hammer. My 'pet peeve' WRT handguns is the terrible trigger pull (long & heavy) that comes with any double-action only design (hence the 'semi-auto' requirement)...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Remember that pistol bullets make a hole in human flesh........that's it.   The more holes the more blood goes bye bye.  So, my recomendation is a Glock26 with a G19 or a G17 mag.  A pocket pistol with 18 rounds is special.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Happyface, which one is the 340? I carry the 342PD (titanium model hammerless .38).  I like it a lot because I can just about carry it anytime.  It's very light and doesn't bug me.  I also have a SIG SP2340 that I'll carry sometimes under the jacket but usually it's the S&W with a speedloader (make sure and get a few of those btw).

Oh ya, PRACTICE! That gun really hurts my hand when I shoot too because it's so light but hey, you can't have it all .

the 340PD is a GREAT concealed carry weapon. another vote for your first choice here. it's actually what my wife carries. but instead of .357 mag rounds (too much recoil and muzzle flash for her) she's got 38+P hollowpoints, with 2 speed loaders to boot.

i carry a HK USP compact in .40 cal. during warmer months, Kimber Eclipse Pro 1911 during the winter. i once tried carrying my beretta 92F but that got a little ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#22]
14.5" AR
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Get the one that you will Carry, All The Time.

Is the 340PD the small SW titanium .357/.38? If so, very good choice!

I have some very nice Kimbers that I would carry if I knew I was going to a gunfight. Realistically, though, I carry a .38 SW Airweight, because I can barely tell it is there.

If you ever have a situation where your gun is needed, Murphys law will dictate that it will happen on the day you left your gun at home because it was too much of a hassle.

Therefore, my vote goes for something very small, and very light, that you can throw in you pocket or snap on your belt or boot. The .32 Keltech, Beretta Tomcat .32, or the
SW/Taurus titanium .38/.357  come to mind. Maybe a Glock subcompact at most.

I am no carry expert, but if you can throw it it a jacket pocket and forget it is there, you stand a better chance of continuing to carry after the novelty wears off.

Unless you are a huge, hardcore, tactical, highspeed operator, in which case go with twin .45 in a shouder rig, or the Bushmaster/Carbonlight with 5, 30rd mags of ss109.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Plasma Rifle in 40 Watt Range!

Seriously though during the summer I carry a Sig 232 in 380, and during the winter I carry my Beretta 92FS. But basically you should find out what gun is best for you to carry. Like Dave_A said its better to be able to hit with a smaller caliber then to carry a macho Desert Eagle and no be able to hit the broad side of a barn.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#25]
1911 .45

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:34:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I plan on carrying a S&W M66, 2.5"bbl, or 226 when CCW comes to Ohio.

I would start with a small frame .38, 5 shot. It is up to you to decide what works best in any given situation.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#27]
SIG-Sauer P228. Compact enough to conceal with little effort, but holds 13 rounds(with pre-ban mags) of 9mm. For ammo, I'd use 115gr. or 124gr. +P JHP made by either Cor-Bon or CCI's "Gold Dot" line.

If you shop the EE here on ar15.com or the Classifieds on www.sigforum.com you should be able to find one for a reasonable price.

BTW- If you're going to possibly stake your life on your CCW pistol, make sure whatever you buy has a set of self-luminous tritium night-sights installed. I consider them a "Must Have" item on ANY pistol I would own.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I've carried just about everything at one time or another. I just got a Sig 225 and love it.  It's just the right size and single stack mags are still availible at reasonable prices.  Sigs cost more then other semi-autos but I think their worth the price. The have a good trigger right from the box and are very well built pistols.  S&W J frames are another good way to go if you like revolvers that are very compact.  Best thing is to check out different pistols and see what fits your hand and get a feel for them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Whatever you carry, put at least 500 rounds through it in practice before sticking it in your pants or pocket.  It and YOU should be able to function reliably.  

Caliber and capacity matter much less than hitting what you're aiming at under realistic conditions.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Get either a .45 or a .22

That way if you don't like the recoil of the .45, at least you'll practice and be able to hit accurately and multiple times with the .22

A .22 into a tear duct still beats a 9mm in the breast bone. [/Col. Jeff Cooper]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Whatever Al Pacino carried in Heat.

Sorry... couldn't resist.  Most of the posters have it right.  Carry what is comfortable to you.  I myself carried my 1911 Combat Commander for many years, but put it away for now (it's Satin Nickel and the it was wearing).  Now I carry a Glock 30 in .45 ACP.  I like .45's.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#32]
 One thing to consider is are you wanting to put the gun in your pocket or are you prepared to wear a belt and inside the pants holster?
 If you are going to carry in a holster, there is no reason to carry a small frame (J frame) revolver. You can carry a compact auto (single stack) just as easily.
 You can buy a belt from Dillon and a Summer Special from Milt Sparks pretty reasonable.
 I carry a Smith 3953 a lot. It holds 8+1 and I have an extra mag in my back pocket. That's a lot of ammo and a gun that is light and not so small it's hard to shoot.
 If you want a gun to put in your pocket, the Smith 642 is a great choice. Put some "Hideout" grips on it and you are ready to go. Whatever grips you choose, get smooth, hard ones that won't cling to your clothes.
 Be aware that sometimes you can put a gun in your pocket, but when you get a firing grip on it, you can't pull your gun and fist out of your pocket too easily.
 Keep in mind your gun won't help you if you can't draw and fire two aimed shots in around one second. That's hard to do from the pocket and you can zing a round down your leg if you aren't careful under stress.
 A compact auto (SIG, Smith, whatever) in a rig with an extra mag in your pocket is a nice system that will let you get your gun going fast.
If your money is tight look around and find a 3 inch barreled, round butt Smith "K" frame, like a model 64 or 65. They carry nice, are cheaper than autos, and work.
KY Imports has a lot of police trade in guns. If you know someone that will transfer something for you reasonable, you may can pick up a gun cheaper than soemwhere else.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top