Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 1:11:05 PM EDT
Do you guys keep a little oil in the barrels of your ar's??

I'm talking about your "go to" guns,  the one or ones you would grab if shtf??

I don't keep any oil or clp in my barrels now because I don't want high pressure on my first shot.  But what about long term, I don't want corrosion either.

What do you guys do?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I may give a bunch of you guys heart attacks, but after I clean my rifles, I dry the bore completely.

Then I wet a patch with WD40 and run it down the bore.  WD40 is light enough and dry enough that I do not worry about having high pressures.  But it will keep the bore from rusting.

If I store a rifle for a long period, I wet the last patch with a heavier gun oil, and run a patch through the barrel before shooting next time.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
One oily patch down the barrel, followed by one dry patch. I leave it at that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
One oily patch down the barrel, followed by one dry patch. I leave it at that.

That works for me too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Kroil then dry patch
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I clean with CLP so I just get the last patch relatively dry, but there is probably still plenty of oil coating the inside of the barrel. So yes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Your AR has a chrome lined barrel, so oiling it is meaningless.  If yours isn't, get one that is...  I am a HUGE proponent of chrome lined bores.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your AR has a chrome lined barrel, so oiling it is meaningless.  If yours isn't, get one that is...  I am a HUGE proponent of chrome lined bores.

I know my Bushmaster is chrome but what about Colt??  I don't know that to be true, correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I
Then I wet a patch with WD40 and run it down the bore.  WD40 is light enough and dry enough that I do not worry about having high pressures.  But it will keep the bore from rusting.

WD40 is not a lube. It is a solvent used nothing more that for Water Displacement, hence the WD. It will also dry and form a lacquer and become gummy. WD40 is horrible for firearms unless just trying to get rid of water, that is all it was designed for. NEVER get it near any ammo as it will possibly kill primers.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Be careful too, if too much oil is left in the bore it can cause a hydraulic bulge if the rifle is fired. I have seen several rifles with bulges because the oil was not removed before firing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Be careful too, if too much oil is left in the bore it can cause a hydraulic bulge if the rifle is fired. I have seen several rifles with bulges because the oil was not removed before firing.

Yes,  I mentioned that in my original post about the pressure.

I just ran a patch with clp through my shtf rifles, than one dry patch.  I guess this is a good balance between no oil and a lot of oil.

Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top