Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 1:05:08 PM EDT
I ordered some 308 from them now they emailed me saying they need a copy of my DL to prove I am 18.

Of course I am 18 didn't the credit card prove that? or how about my DL number that I gave them?

I really don't feel like sending them a pic of my DL which will take yet a few more days to ship.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I emailed them a scan of my DL. Much faster that way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I emailed them a scan of my DL. Much faster that way.

go into photoshop and draw up a picture of yourself and send it to them.

I don't know why companies have stupid policies like that, u are right about the Credit card thing, but they probably are a bunch of idiots who can't put the two together.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Most companies require some proof of age when you order ammunition from them, simply having a credit card number isn't enough.

Just send them the scan, most places only require it once.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Becaue you don't need to be 18 to posses a drivers license or a credit card but you do need to be 18 to buy ammo.  They just need proof that you are legit and they need to cover their ass just like everyone else.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You could be underage and be an authorized user on adult's credit card for all they know. I photocopy my license and fax it.

or you could just take dads credit card along with his DL.

Can you have your name on a CC if you are underage I remember I tried to get a CC when I was 17 and they said sorry got to be 18.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Strange.  I ordered some .308 and .30-06 from them a awhile back when they were having the free shipping deal on the .308.

Did it via the web and never had to send in anything and it was my first transaction with them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I've ordered a bunch of ammo from them and never had to do anything beyond typing in my DL number.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I would guess their new thing started after the Mass AG busted Ammoman & the others for shipping ammo w/o proof of age?

Just a guess.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Precisely why I dont order from them! I dont remember ever sending ammoman anything, and as a result, I buy from him.

AIMSURPLUS, YOU'RE LOSING BUSINESS!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
they have a copy of my c&r so i assume that is good enough
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
1) Yes, you can have a CC number without being 18... Debit cards, 'youth mastercards', pre-paid Visa cash-cards, etc...

2) It's federal law that ammo vendors see proof of age before selling. That's why Wally World asks you for your ID and what kind of gun you will be using.

This is the online equivalent of 'May I see your ID, please?'...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would guess their new thing started after the Mass AG busted Ammoman & the others for shipping ammo w/o proof of age?
Just a guess

Quoted:
Precisely why I dont order from them! I dont remember ever sending ammoman anything, and as a result, I buy from him.
AIMSURPLUS, YOU'RE LOSING BUSINESS!

Hmmm, let's see, two plus two equals four so.....

Edited just to be edited.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats a whole lot better than alot of ammo dealers who ask for proof a customers 21 when ordering rifle ammunition.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
... I dont remember ever sending ammoman anything, ...

From Ammoman’s site:

AMMOMAN PROOF OF AGE REQUIREMENTS

If you do not have a copy of your drivers license on file with us when you place your order, we send it "ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED", this means an adult must be home to sign for the package. UPS will make 3 attempts and leave a yellow sticker each time, then return the package to us.

Aim Surplus probably doesn’t feel like dealing with returned packages.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not just on ammo sales that AIM asks for these things.

I ordered a CZ .22 upper and they called and asked for a copy of my ID.  Keep in mind, an upper is not an FFL item.  I asked why and they said it was their policy for all new customers.  I declined and cancelled the order.  They will not get my business.

Ammo, I can understand protecting their butts even if it is annoying.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
It's something they start under a year ago.

Don't dis Aim, they have their shit together.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
B   U   Y

F   R   O   M

A   M   M   O   M   A   N   !
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't understand why they'd ask for ID for an upper... they didn't ask for ID when I ordered some mags from them earlier this year.  I believe that all mail-order outfits are required to ask for ID on ammo purchases, though.

edit: having a fax machine sitting right above my monitor negates any hassle involved in this anyhoo.

AIM has some gems every now and then... like Orlite mags for $8 each, and the sometimes hard-to-find Barnaul 7.62x39 SP's, so I'll gladly keep ordering from them despite any ID requirements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top