Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2003 10:36:03 AM EDT
Here in Wisconsin, we are currently entrenched fighting tooth and nail for what might be our last chance until 2007 to get our Personal Protection Act passed into law.

I’ve been reading on other gun boards about everything that’s been going on in NM and MO – and that’s interesting and all - but I find what the folks in OH are doing especially ‘ballsy’ – staging open “carry defense walks” throughout different cities.

So, what I’m looking for is some history – look back deep into your own state’s background and fill me in on what exactly happened to get your hair-brained legislators to pass your state’s CCW law.

It’s getting cold here now, and the battle is waning due to the gun deer season starting this weekend and Thanksgiving next week – your story will help keep our pro-RKBA fires stoked and ready for the coming hard weeks of veto override sessions…
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember how wonderful it was when my state passed shall issue CCW.  I knew I'd feel safer going downtown.  Then I sober up and realize I probably shouldn't smoke that stuff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
well i remember the fight, and the great veto being over writin. then the law suit, and now the limbo. i think all MO feel we will win in the end.  Or at least i hope so. Ronald
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#3]
After shall issue CCW was passed in my state, Colorado, crime skyrocketed. Murder rates increased 345% in the first month and there were several political assassinations. Law abiding citizens became murderers as traffic incidents became heated and assaults increased along with the increased saturation of guns. Criminals, who prior to the law were prohibited from carrying guns into public areas, began to go on shooting sprees. In summation there was a complete and total breakdown of society. We are now a mirror of the old west, where disputes over bar tabs are settled with blood shed and innocent people are killed on the streets by militant anti government right wingers.
Oh wait..................no, actually that is what was supposed to happen.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#4]
We don't have a problem with CCW in CA. The reason should be obvious... (no guns!)

CW
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
In OK it was passed pretty quietly several years ago and was originally introduced by a democrap.  
And surprisingly we elected a  democrap governer last year and have a democrap legislature and this year they strengthened the CCW also making it easier to get and relaxed the rules for open carry.   Only in OK.  This is the place to be if you like guns.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Shortly after it passed in Texas, there was an incident in Dallas where a guy bumped the guy in front of him in traffic. They guy in front got out of his car, came back to the car behind him that bumped him, and just started beating the crap out of the driver.

The driver couldn't back up because he was in traffic.

Finally the driver pulled his .40 cal auto (with CHL) and plugged the guy in the chest and killed him.

The next day there were editorial letters in the paper from anti-gunners saying "I knew something like this would happen!"

BUT! The NEXT day, there were WAY more editorial letters saying things like "Well yeah..but I know someone it won't happen to again!"

Intersting thing, was that when this went to the grand jury, it turns out that the guy aced his range test on the CHL. The prosecutor tried to say things like "If you're such a good shot, why did you have to kill him?"

For that reason, when you get your CHL in TX now, they just give you a Pass/Fail on the range test.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually they always only gave you a pass/fail for both the written and range quals.
I was in the first batch of instructors and even they only got pass/fail.

Funny how it never made it in the papers when he was no billed. But the shooting made national news.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I really wish I had a story for this thread. God Damn Robert Taft!

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We don't have a problem with CCW in CA. The reason should be obvious... (no guns!)

CW

What in God's good name are you talking about son? Put the crack pipe down and step away from the keyboard.

We have CCW here in California if you didn't know plus open carry in all the normal places.  LA county - no. My county is pretty easy and open with the permits I just haven't gotten around to running the paper work as working in a federal installation weapons are prohibitted at work ... unless issued by my uncle Sam.

Here's an application for you: [ulr]www.sdsheriff.net/mgt_serv/licensing/ca_ccw_app.pdf

The licensing authority specified in PC section 12050(a)(1) (a sheriff or head of a municipal police department) may issue a license to persons who are of good moral character, who have completed a course of training, and where good cause exists for issuance of the CCW license. All applications for a CCW will be fingerprinted and state records will be checked to determine if they are in a prohibiting class. Attachments 1, 2, and 3 (following page 14 of this application) list all categories that would cause a person to be in a class prohibiting them from possessing firearms and being granted a CCW license. These attachments are updated annually to reflect new legislation and other changes in the law.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#10]
From Packing.org on California's CCW

While CA has the classical old political CCW system (no right to carry except for politicians and celebrities -- e.g. anti-gun rights senators Boxer and Feinstein have permits) there are two things you should know. First: CA has a gray area de facto quasi-right-to-carry. The state law provides that carrying a concealed weapon (including a knife or blackjack) is a FELONY. However, the wise legislators kept a clear exception to cover all of their friends and relatives that carry illegally. If you are carrying a gun (not a knife!) AND it was legally purchased AND you are not a gang member (yes, they have a statutory definition of gang member) AND it is your first such arrest then concealed carry is only a misdemeanor. This was explained to me by several professionals and lawyers and I checked it out on the CA government web page. A typical fine is $200. Do not carry a knife or baton!

Yeah, $200 big deal - like smoking pot here is illegal too - a cheap infraction. I've shot $200 worth of ammo in a couple of days of good shooting. Come get me!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
In Oklahoma?

Old Testament, real wrath-of-God type stuff. Fires and brimstone coming down from the sky, rivers and seas boiling--Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes--The dead rising from the graves! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In Oklahoma?

Old Testament, real wrath-of-God type stuff. Fires and brimstone coming down from the sky, rivers and seas boiling--Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes--The dead rising from the graves! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Yep, but overall a pretty nice place to live.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]

In OK it was passed pretty quietly several years ago and was originally introduced by a democrap.
And surprisingly we elected a democrap governer last year and have a democrap legislature and this year they strengthened the CCW also making it easier to get and relaxed the rules for open carry. Only in OK. This is the place to be if you like guns.

Well, you can disparage Brad Henry and Frank Shurden all you like due to their party affiliation, but those two have done more for gun rights in five minutes' time than that sorry fucking bald bastard carpet bagging piece of shit Frank Keating did in eight years in the governor's mansion. Both Shurden and Henry have received "A" ratings from the NRA. What the fuck did Keating do besides embarrass our state and leave everyone with that bullshit dome boondoggle?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Like you mentioned, here in Ohio we don't have ccw yet. I'm open carrying everywhere, all the time. It was weird/uncomfortable at first but pretty natural now. So that'll get me by until they do pass something.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=150

What in God's good name are you talking about son? Put the crack pipe down and step away from the keyboard.

We have CCW here in California if you didn't know plus open carry in all the normal places.  LA county - no. My county is pretty easy and open with the permits I just haven't gotten around to running the paper work as working in a federal installation weapons are prohibitted at work ... unless issued by my uncle Sam.

Here's an application for you: [ulr]www.sdsheriff.net/mgt_serv/licensing/ca_ccw_app.pdf

The licensing authority specified in PC section 12050(a)(1) (a sheriff or head of a municipal police department) may issue a license to persons who are of good moral character, who have completed a course of training, and where good cause exists for issuance of the CCW license. All applications for a CCW will be fingerprinted and state records will be checked to determine if they are in a prohibiting class. Attachments 1, 2, and 3 (following page 14 of this application) list all categories that would cause a person to be in a class prohibiting them from possessing firearms and being granted a CCW license. These attachments are updated annually to reflect new legislation and other changes in the law.

Didn't say we didn't have CCW, just intimating that we have nothing to CC.  

CW
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Tell me a story about when your State passed their CCW law…

I can't, I live in Ohio.  As mentioned above, BoB Taft is a jackass.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

While CA has the classical old political CCW system (no right to carry except for politicians and celebrities -- e.g. anti-gun rights senators Boxer and Feinstein have permits) there are two things you should know. First: CA has a gray area de facto quasi-right-to-carry. The state law provides that carrying a concealed weapon (including a knife or blackjack) is a FELONY. However, the wise legislators kept a clear exception to cover all of their friends and relatives that carry illegally. If you are carrying a gun (not a knife!) AND it was legally purchased AND you are not a gang member (yes, they have a statutory definition of gang member) AND it is your first such arrest then concealed carry is only a misdemeanor. This was explained to me by several professionals and lawyers and I checked it out on the CA government web page. A typical fine is $200. Do not carry a knife or baton!

Very interesting- anybody know if this applies to residents of another state while visiting California?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very interesting- anybody know if this applies to residents of another state while visiting California?

www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/california
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I could be mistaken...but, I think Florida was one of the first (if not the first) states to pass CCW.

There was plenty of rhetoric about "shootouts in the streets", "rampant mayhem", and "the end of the world"...but...
The only thing that happened was CRIME RATES WENT DOWN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top