Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2003 7:53:37 AM EDT
For me it was the early 80's. I turned 18 in 75 but never voted. I wasn't a liberal but I really didn't care what the government was doing. I had a job and I was partyin...life was great. Started hunting in 76 and owned afew hunting guns. No problem.....then in 81 or 82 I bought my first military style weapon. Of course it was an AR-15. Amazing how that gun can make you immediately aware of your government. Within the next year or two I became painfully aware that people in my government wanted to take that gun away from me.
What did I do? Quadrupled my arsenal and became a full fledged gun nut!!!!! Also started voting. Once I started voting, I started actually paying attention to my government, the people in it and what they were up to. Now I make it a point to stay informed and be active. I call politicians (names sometimes!!), write letters and be a pain in their ass whenever possible. And it all started when I bought my first AR...Damn...everyone should have one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember rooting for Ford over Carter. I was 8.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Took me longer than that, but, it was my sudden and intense interest in firearms that made me politically aware.
Turned me inside out and backwards, actually.
I'm the Liberal's worst nightmare - a reformed Liberal with a gun!
I couldn't bleed any more...I learned to fight back.
I don't know if I was really a Liberal or not.  Probably just bought the common surrounding bullshit.
But, after getting into guns, boy, things moved quickly to where I will definetly say I'm a Conservative/Republican.
Christian, too.  1cross + 3nails = 4given
So, there ya are then.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
When my mother first spanked me, probably age 4.  I suddenly understood the concept of power.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in a political family. Mother was an alderman, father was (is) county board chairman, grandfather served on the county board.

I guess I became politically aware when I was old enough to ask the question "Why?".

Born and raised a Republican. Seriously looked at pros and cons of all side of political points, eventually I return to my core beliefs.
Now my wife who never associated herself with either side prior to me is a voting republican as well. I never coached her in it, but she listened to any political debate I have had with family members, and 99% of the time agreed with my views.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I was in high school during the Iran hostage thing. I vividly remember being made to feel embarassed for my country by Jimmy Carter. Outraged, I turned 18 in '80 just in time to vote for Reagan. Been paying attention ever since.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#6]
During the 1980 election cycle between Reagan and Carter. (I was in the 7th grade)

I was rah-rah behind Reagan because of his stance on the military, but several of my social positions were decidedly liberal, even though I didn't know it yet.

I came to true conservative form during the 1990's, listening to talk radio, reading a lot, and watching the differences on TV. Thank God!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#7]
When Kennedy was elected.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
On my 18th birthday, I recall driving around and stopping by city hall and registered to vote and then to the post office to register for the draft, then went to work.  At the time voting was just a novelty thing that reminded me that my government views me as an adult.  I really didn't know shit about what I was really doing.

Then when I went away to college I (like most who go) became fairly liberal (product of the environment).  Then after graduating I realized how much bullshit was involved in college (in and out of the class room).  I've owned a handgun (and CC permit) since I was 22.  After living in the "real world" for about two years, I really started paying attention.  Getting involved in gun lobbying groups helps, as well as listening to conservative radio stations and being an ARFCOM regular.  

My eyes are more open now than ever, and through me, my wife's eyes are now open.  I've written a number of letters to politicians, and recieved their bullshit blanket responses and when I vote, I don't vote by party.  I vote by absentee ballott, and I literally sit down with my voter's pamphlet and read EVERYBODY's platform before I vote.  I loved college, but looking back I can't believe how decieved I was.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
During the 1980 election cycle between Reagan and Carter. (I was in the 7th grade)

I was rah-rah behind Reagan because of his stance on the military, but several of my social positions were decidedly liberal, even though I didn't know it yet.

I came to true conservative form during the 1990's, listening to talk radio, reading a lot, and watching the differences on TV. Thank God!

My epiphany was similar.

I was in 7th or 8th grade during the 1980 Presidential Elections.  My step-mom was convinced that if Reagan was elected, the world would be destroyed in nuclear war...  well, I found that idea rather frightening, and did a little research.  

I've been essentially conservative since then.  Irrational thinking by my step-mom caused me to form my own ideals.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Me too.  I was in 10th grade in 1980.  The hostage situation made it clear to me there was a real difference between the D and the R.  Reagan made me realize that being conservative did not equal whack job, and conservativism as a philosophy was appealing.

Used to listen to public radio, but I got tired of hearing them beat the Native Rights drum and cutting down conservatism at every opportunity.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#11]
at 15, after reading the Communist Manifesto.

-HS
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess I was 10 so that would be durring JFKs election. And even more so when the Cuban missile crisis went down. We also had a Nike missile base down the end of my street. So it was normal to see troups patroling the inside of the base in Jeeps w/50 cals on them. Those missiles were nuke tipped we later found out. Then I had to regester for the draft in '68. Tried to enlist after high school but since I'm partially blind in one eye, got 4F'ed. Then I had family and neighbors who fled the fucking COMMIE Russians in Europe. Have a cousin who fought Russian armor with a bolt gun & a wine bottle filled with anything flamible in the Hungarian Revolt. He barely escaped with his life. Then came Kent State. We went down to get my sister the hell out of there. The rioters had burned buildings not even 1/2 block from her house. As we were loading the cars, we heard the gunfire from the College. Knew it was time to split. Later,
(20 years later) found out that the riots were supported & stirred up by KGB agents.

Yeah, I HATE COMMUNIST FUCKERS!

They ALL NEED TO DIE.

And the current war just has new fucks that need dead.
Bring on the Muslims,they ain't shit compaired to the Commies. Besides, these guys are stupid! And COWARDS. FBI neighbor says they will sell their own Mother to save themself!

War is war... just different fucks to shoot at.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top