Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2003 3:46:22 PM EDT

All these are in the same price range, have re-enforced sidewalls and are obtainable in the size I wish to have.

Which one would you choose for mostly on-road use, but when I off road I REALL off road and need kick-ass traction.

Thanks for your input!

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
BFG AT-KO

especially if its your daily driver. There are no better do-everything-daily tires out there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
none of the above I use Kelly Springfield MSR Safari's and like them.
www.kelly-springfield.com/auto/products/popups/smsrb.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm running BFG all terrains now. I Like the wear and love the traction but am having trouble keeping them balanced.
I think my next purchase will be GoodYears. I have always had good luck with them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BFG AT-KO

especially if its your daily driver. There are no better do-everything-daily tires out there.

They don’t seem to be all that aggressive though....
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BFG AT-KO

Thats what I hear also.

Check the reviews at tirerack, especially on the Bridgestone dueler revo a/t.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BFG AT-KO

You can't have everything.  I think the suggestion of the Kelly Safari MSR is probably your best choice if you need more traction than the BFG AT.  No firebombs...er I mean Firestones for me at all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
BFG All Terrains or Mickey Thompson Baja MTX Radials

I know several people who were religious BFG fans and swapped over to the MT Radials.

I worked for awhile as an accessory installer for a large truck specialty store, mostly 4WD accessories.  Did a lot of tires.

The BFG's are good tires and I like the looks of the tread better than the MT's but several people who were in the business longer than I was swore the MT's were the best A/T tire available.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Firestone's are reserved for people I don't like. Basically they are round and black.

BF Goodrich is made by Michelin, soft rubber and soft sidewalls, lots of side flex.

I had a commerical tire service and ran Dunlop Radial Rovers AT on 4, 4x4, service trucks. Good traction and long mileage. Outlasted anything else.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey M4....They may not look as aggressive but...believe me they get the job done. Keep in mind you have to drive on these every day, on the highway too. I had ProComp Xterrains which are WAY more aggressive but after a little bti on the highway....
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
BFG AT-KO

You can't have everything.  I think the suggestion of the Kelly Safari MSR is probably your best choice if you need more traction than the BFG AT.  No firebombs...er I mean Firestones for me at all.

I like them, they are quiet on the road, as much as one could expect, they clean themselves out and allow traction in the mud, and I have about 10,000 miles on them now and the thread still looks good. I am going to guess and say they are a 40,000 50,000 mile tire.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Dunlops! I have a pair and even though they are four inches taller than stock and much more aggressive they are much better onroad than the stock tires. I can corner and accelerate faster now than ever before, even with four inches of lift and bigger tires.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
For a daily driver, from the ones you selected, I'd go with the BFG's.  I'd put the Firestones on something you want to stick somewhere and come back to find it burnt to a crisp!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]
get 2 sets of tires/wheels.  Its like people who buy sports cars and put all season tires on them.  It sucks and using the car to its potential is limited.  Get a good road tire and a good offroad tire.  A great offroad tire will not handle too well on roads especially at 50+ mph speeds.  A combo tire takes a little of each type of tire so it does not excel in any one area.  If you are going to buy tires go all out or dont bother
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Based on the fact that you are complaining that they don't look aggresive enough, I'm guessing you've never owned a truck with "aggressive" tires before have you?
If you ride on the highway for more than 10 miles at a stretch, or ever think you might, those cool looking tires will make you aboslutely bonkers with road noise.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Based on the fact that you are complaining that they don't look aggresive enough, I'm guessing you've never owned a truck with "aggressive" tires before have you?
If you ride on the highway for more than 10 miles at a stretch, or ever think you might, those cool looking tires will make you aboslutely bonkers with road noise.

BFG mudders come to my mind with that post.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
BFG's all they way
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Actually I had a Jeep with the Goodyear MT's on it and it sounded almost like a Browning 50 while I was driving , so I do in fact know what your saying.

But, there are more aggressive tires out there that aren’t mud tires and have such an awful on road driving characteristic.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for the BFG's.
While I personally have the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S  on my truck (not as aggressive as the BFG's), the BFG's would be my next choice if I decided I wanted a little more aggressive shoe....
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]
BFG M/Ts or A/Ts.  Probaly A/Ts in your case.  Don't forget A/Ts will ball up in mud.  I'll pull you out if when you get stuck.

-DEERSNIPER
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd go with the bfg's. too bad my choices are limited for the 20" rims on my new dodge 1500
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]
nitto tera grappler, my dad has those. The equal of my Dunlops, and they come mainly in the right size for a replacement tire. Agressive yet quiet and stable. Very stiff sidewall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]
BFG's out of those choices

michelin AT/S's otherwise
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
BFG AT-KO

Exactly.

My KO's have over 20K on them and they still look brand new.

Just make sure your stupid IFS is in working order unless you like to waste money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
BFG AT-KO

Exactly.

My KO's have over 20K on them and they still look brand new.

Just make sure your stupid IFS is in working order unless you like to waste money and you will get 60K-90K out of them depending on your use.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BFG mudders come to my mind with that post.

I've got BFG M/T KO's on my 03 Discovery with 22k miles on them. Very quiet tire, but all the traction you could ask for. Haven't tried them in the snow yet, but they are the best I've had in 30 yrs of 4 wheeling in mud, rocks and loose dirt. I'm thrilled with the +20k mileage; was expecting only 10-15k. They look like they have another 10k left on them. BFG really hit the nail on the head with the new tread design, traction with quiet operation and long life. Get the BFG MT's!

CW
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I use these on my 4x4 the Wrangler ATS

They work great in the summer and winter

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Naaaaa get a real tire.

I have my on the jeep right now, My other tires are Geolander AT+ 2's.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#29]
B.F.Goodrich...(subsidiary of Michelin)...France.

Michelin... France

Uniroyal... France

Maxxis..... China

General/Continental...USA

Goodyear..............USA (sort of)

Cooper................USA

Bridgestone...Japan

Firestone (subsidiary of Bridgestone)...Japan

Dunlop...Canada??...(weird corporate homepage, links to goofy kid's games)....Edited noted: as per new info supplied by SG, Dunlop is owned by Goodyear.

Just in case you want to know where your money is going, scroll down to the corporate listings of www.francesucks.com

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#30]
get coopers
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I have BFG A/Ts on my Tundra and after 2 years have found that they are great in mud and on snow/ice.  They are also MUCH quieter on the highway than my friends firestone wilderness A/Ts and other agressive tread tires.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#32]
BFG MT or AT first.
Goodyear AT/S or MT/R second.

Dont let the BFG AT's fool you. They are great off road. I have used both the MT and AT for 12 years. I have the MT's on my Jeep and drive 50 miles a day on road. BFG MT's have always been one of the quieter MT's.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#33]
So what is the price range on these tires?
I need some as well soon for my Trooper.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I would go with the BFG out of these possible choices. I have only heard go things about these tres.
On a side note I use the Michelin's and they may cost a bit more but they last longer than any other tires I have ever used.  I had a set of LTX that went a REAL 80,000 miles before replaced with Michelin Mall-Runners(Cross Terrains).
On the firestone note...my brother had a set and was assured that his were fine not part of any recall...1 month later on a horrible part of under construction road(1960-to-woodlands on 45N for you Houston guys)had a blow out on the drivers front.  He was able to control the truck , but the tire did like $1000 worth of damage to the truck.  Firecrap said they would not do anything about it, but if he sent them the wheel(NOT take it to a tire dealer) they would see if they would do something about replaceing the tire...who cares about a tire when you have $1000 worth of damage.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#35]
BF Goodrich AT KO's

Just put a new set on my truck and what a difference off road. I can do things in 2wd now that I needed to switch to 4wd for before. Plus (and a big plus here in the desert southwest) three ply sidewalls. Way less cut sidewalls from rocks, etc. Been running BFG AT KO's for years with no troubles.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Go with the BFG's.  I've run these on my truck over the last severals years and I haven't had a single complaint. They are the best tires I've ever bought. Great off-road and on road as well.....

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Goodyear is, both as a corporation and in tire quality, SHIT.

That would eliminate the Dunlops, as Dunlop is unfortunately owned in the majority by Goodyear.

I'll drive on my goddamn rims before I'll buy anything those fucking backstabbing bastards at Goodyear have anything to do with.

And I'll do my best to convince as many as I can to do the same.

Just one man's opinion.

SG

This post was edited at the request of a family member who still has to deal with the cocksuckers for a few more weeks.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Dunlop...Canada??...(weird corporate homepage, links to goofy kid's games)

Dunlop is majority owned by Goodyear.

Trust Me.

SG
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Okay,

SO do the BFGoodrich AT tires get caked with mud?
I dont live in the desert and when I go offroad there is A LOT of mud. I dont want a tire where the tread is full of mud and doesn't grip because of it.

In mud does the BFG AT self clean well?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Dunlop...Canada??...(weird corporate homepage, links to goofy kid's games)

Dunlop is majority owned by Goodyear.

Trust Me.

SG

Thanks for the info...wasn't sure so that's why the question marks.
Only thing I could find was of Canadian origin.
They still have a weird homepage, looks more like PlayhouseDisney.com rather than a corporation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Dont have experence with the BFG AT's Ive put 50K on a set of 32x11.50 BFG MT's.....Noise isnt bad but may be worse on a heavier vehicle(Wrangler TJ here)..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#42]
BFG AT's in real mud is like a wet drag slick at a stoplight race........NO TRACTION.

If you do mud, get a mud tire -- usually the noise on mud tires will be excessive because the lugs are big and they have lots of voids.

Wrangler MT's.......if you are going to go mudding/offroad more than once a month.

I would also second Hoplite's suggestion to get a steel set of rims with an offroad tire on them to swap out when you go......

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Out west we need real tires and beat the crap out of them in the Rocky Mountains. We have mud,REAL STICKY CLAY MUD, sharp nasty stuff that will slice thru the tread of a tire. Slick rock, sand, and anything else you can imagine. I currently run BFG M/T's. These will be the last set I ever will own. On an elk hunt last Dec, everyone's tires were loaded with mud to make them slicks. Including mine. Then I had 2 belt seperations ,one front, one rear other side. I've had enough of this crap.
Goodyears are a pain in the ass. You have to rotate them every 3000 miles or you get shit wear patterns.

A friend went to the Jeep Jambouree this October in Moab , Utah. NEW HOT TIRE ...Bridgestone REVOs!! Will out do the BFG A/T & M/T in ANY condition you put it in. And have 50K mile warrenty. FOR LESS MONEY THAN A BFG !!!

Don't get me wrong, I have had 10 SETS of BFG's and they need to bring out a better tire because others have. But they won't until their sales drop off and they are forced to improve their product. I used to work for them and this is how the bums operate!

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#44]
BF's of course!  Too bad they're made by Michelin a French company.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Not to pick on you, or anyone else for that matter.  But just in case ya'll didn't know, there is one great big Michelin factory on the west side of I-35, a  few dozen miles south of Oklahoma City.  I doubt you are going to find very many Frenchmen making tires there, but I'll bet there are some damn good Okies busting their butts to make an hourly wage.  Considering the fact that many American companies have decided it is better to "Hencho en Mexico" and other, even more remote locations outside of our borders, I don't think we should completely dismiss Michelin tires out of hand just because some Parisian executive is making a profit.

Having said that, I put BFG AT's on my truck about 1000 miles ago.  Great road manners so far.  I'll be doing some minor off roading next week.....we'll see how they do.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#46]
BFG AT's are naturally going to hold mud more than a true Mud tire. However, they do clean pretty well, and I have taken them through some pretty nasty stuff. MT's are going to do the job a little easier.
Goodyear MT/R's are good tires, however, they are NOT as good in mud as they should be. BFG MT's are a better mud tire. The MT/R's are good in the sand and especially on rock.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#47]
BFG
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to pick on you, or anyone else for that matter.  But just in case ya'll didn't know, there is one great big Michelin factory on the west side of I-35, a  few dozen miles south of Oklahoma City.  I doubt you are going to find very many Frenchmen making tires there, but I'll bet there are some damn good Okies busting their butts to make an hourly wage.  Considering the fact that many American companies have decided it is better to "Hencho en Mexico" and other, even more remote locations outside of our borders, I don't think we should completely dismiss Michelin tires out of hand just because some Parisian executive is making a profit.

Having said that, I put BFG AT's on my truck about 1000 miles ago.  Great road manners so far.  I'll be doing some minor off roading next week.....we'll see how they do.

And they have a huge presence in South Carolina with a US corporate headquarters and easilsy a 1/2 dozen separate large manufacturing facilites.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#49]
As others have said above, don't dismiss the Bridgestones without looking at them.  I only buy Bridgestones and have been well-served by them on my cars and trucks all of my driving life...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Be a man, get some Super Swampers or Monster Mudders, Desert Dueler makes some good rubber too....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top