Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 3:16:04 PM EDT
I have always liked and wanted a Wilson CQB 1911 in OD green.  But I just couldn't make myself pay $1,300 for one.

I recently found a nice Springfield 1911 at a great price that need a refinishing on the frame.  I contacted Mr. Birdsong of Birdsong and Associates and asked about his finish.

I took everything off of the frame and sent it to him.  My friend Tman relieved under the trigger guard for me before we sent it.  New Colts come with this feature and it sure helps get your hand higher on the pistol for a better shooting grip.

Took about 7 weeks turnaround.  But I sure like it.  The cost was $60.

How you gonna beat it?

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks very good, I like the black and OD green contrast and the price was right.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Good job he does and good price but the only thing bad about Birdsong is the turnaround times.  They live/work about 15 minutes from my house.  IIRC, his son is doing a lot of the work now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have always liked and wanted a Wilson CQB 1911 in OD green.  But I just couldn't make myself pay $1,300 for one.

I recently found a nice Springfield 1911 at a great price that need a refinishing on the frame.  I contacted Mr. Birdsong of Birdsong and Associates and asked about his finish.

I took everything off of the frame and sent it to him.  My friend Tman relieved under the trigger guard for me before we sent it.  New Colts come with this feature and it sure helps get your hand higher on the pistol for a better shooting grip.

Took about 7 weeks turnaround.  But I sure like it.  The cost was $60.

How you gonna beat it?

Looks great!

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice 1911,I've been thinking about going OD on my Operator,I think you have sold me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Was the Springfield a customized Mil-Spec model?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the OD Green alot. I'm just not big on wood grips, but that's a nice handgun!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Was the Springfield a customized Mil-Spec model?

I'm not sure if it was a complete factory job.

Someone rounded off the front of the grip and then did a fine job of checkering the front-strap.  It also has a full-length guide rod and night sights.  It also had an extended safety and slide release.

I replaced the extended slide release because my grip will cause my left thumb to cause it to fail to lock open after the last round.  I don't use the slide release anyway since attending Thunder ranch.  Clint teaches you to use your left hand over the back of the slide to pull and release the slide after a reload.  This technique allows the slide to get the full benefit of the slide spring to go to battery.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Does Birdsong have a website?  I tried a web search....
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Does Birdsong have a website?  I tried a web search....

Nope, he doesn't.  I am sorry, but I have his phone number at work and I am at home.  Maybe Cypher214 knows his number since he lives so near.

Mr. Birdsong usually answers the phone.  A really nice guy that will talk your ear off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Gotta get rid of those silvery bits.  Makes you lose the tactical edge!

and incidentally, CQBs start at $1900!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Gotta get rid of those silvery bits.  Makes you lose the tactical edge!

Yea.  That's what Tman says.  But what does he know.  I like 'em.

and incidentally, CQBs start at $1900!

Holy Smoke.  I really did good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
It doesn't matter to me but doesn't everyone always reccomend XXXXXXX  covering the serial numbers in posted pics?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It doesn't matter to me but doesn't everyone always reccomend XXXXXXX  covering the serial numbers in posted pics?

I didn't even think about it.

But then again, I'm trying to think of a reason that I wouldn't want anyone to know what the serial number is on that pistol.  

Can't think of any.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Mmmmmm...1911.......
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, just got in from the range.  I put about 75 rounds through it.  I was doing double tap drills from a kydex holster and practicing tactical reloads.

When cleaning it, I could not see any wear on the new finish.  Birdsong says that it will show wear from handling after a long period, but I saw no holster wear or even any wear on the slide friction points.

I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#16]
WE Birdsong & Associates
1435 Monterey Road
Florence, MS 39073
(601) 939-7448

A bit of a turnaround (but what top craftsman doesn't have a backlog) , but they do great work and are pleasant to boot!
This finish is "Green T". The FBI has their guns finished in "Black T".

norman 74, I think the shinny bits is the pimp showing through.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#17]
You can't beat it with a stick.  Seriously, I have been using Birdson finishes for over a decade and they rock.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Love OD green. I was leaning towards park. for my next 1911 but saw a OD green Springfield at a gunshow and it just looked fabulous.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#19]
i want my sig 220 done, thewhole gun od green
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#20]
That's beautiful - really nice!

I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#21]
That is so nice looking! I sent him 6 30rdn AR mags last week, & set up the deal to have him do my M-4 in Green-T. I'm even more excited now that I have seen your .45. Totally cool. I was thinking of having my Baby Eagle done also, I should have asked him the price for it, but I don't have the cash to send it now so no big deal I guess. He told me they take everything completly apart, & do every spring,pin & part yo every weapon they recieve.
It really looks super Old Painless!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Is that the same pistol you had at the fun show?

Wow, you did real well. I've got to have more classroom time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#23]
So the finish cost you $60. How much did the whole project cost you? I would like to get a 1911 for the s**ts and giggles of it but don't think I can afford one.  It would only be for fun not any duty work or personal protection so I'd have a tough time justifying that one to the wife. How much does a used 1911 run?  I figure if I can get a used one the get a new barrel and some refinishing I'd be able to do it. Suggestions anyone?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not that big a fan of the OD stuff...but that is a sweet looking pistol!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So the finish cost you $60. How much did the whole project cost you?

I found the Springfield at a gun shop on consignment.  As I stated, it had had the front strap rounded off and checkered.  It had night sights (usually worth around $100), it had an extended slide release and extended safety.  It had a nice set of after-market grips, and a full-length guide rod.  I figured that guy had almost $1,000 in the gun.  The only thing wrong was that the frame had a lot of wear on the blueing from handling.

He was asking $500 plus tax.  I paid $450 OTD, IIRC.  So, $510 total.  Which is a lot better than $1,900 for a Wilson CQB.

I would like to get a 1911 for the s**ts and giggles of it but don't think I can afford one.  It would only be for fun not any duty work or personal protection so I'd have a tough time justifying that one to the wife. How much does a used 1911 run?

They can run anywhere from $300 to $2,000, depending on what they are and what they have on them.  While SearcherforThruth and I were at the last Houston Gun Show I picked up a nice Springfield 1911 for $350, OTD.  Didn't have as many bells and whistles as this one, but it was clean.  

I figure if I can get a used one the get a new barrel and some refinishing I'd be able to do it. Suggestions anyone?

Look around, be patient, and you can find a deal.  And don't worry about a new barrel.  You can shoot a .45 ACP an awful lot before it will show any barrel wear.  Truth is, I've never seen one "shot out".  I've seen a couple that had the barrels ruined from shooting old corrosive ammo.  But I've never seen one worn out from shooting non-corrosive ammo.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I have several Eagle Arms prebans done in Black-T by Birdsong, as well as an ArmaLite preban AR180, a P220, a P228, and a P90 Ruger.

It not only looks good, but it really smooths out the action of all those guns mentioned.  It really helps function as well as looks.  Birdsong is the only finish I will have done on my guns, though not all are done yet, not even close.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I looked for alomst 6 months for 1911's. I knew I wanted a Wilson CQB or the Tactical Elite but could not afford a new one. I found this CQB used for $1250. Very, Very happy with it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I looked for alomst 6 months for 1911's. I knew I wanted a Wilson CQB or the Tactical Elite but could not afford a new one. I found this CQB used for $1250. Very, Very happy with it.

A fine looking piece!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top