Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 2:33:33 PM EDT
I've seen the links posted before about the severe health risks of homosexuality/bisexuality , I'd very much apprecciette it if you guys could direct me to it.

I'd also like info on the shenanigans that surrounded the removal of it from the APA's list of mental disorders.

This is for a conversation I'm having with a skeptical friend, and I'd greatly appreciette it if you guys could help me out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
bump
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you afraid your sexual behavior is risky?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
No, I'm celibate actually (but straight)... my sexual behavior is about as risky as herding lawn gnomes.

I'm looking for the info mainly to change someones opinion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you afraid your sexual behavior is risky?

Maybe he's bisexual.

You know, if he can't get none for free, he buys it!{;D]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Just look anywhere, anything you find will be unpopular with somebody.

This is an argument you aren't gonna win, even if you think your data is unassailable.  Your opponent is going to have as much if not more data supporting his/her point of view.

Arguing this is like arguing religion with a fanatic (on his her beliefs) as you can see how  it gets around here (with a variety of topics, including this one)emotion takes hold and overides any semblance of sentient thought.

Your best bet is to start with Google Searches or if you live near a big enough library look up the Journals of the APA.  

In any case it will be hard to find any convincing evidence that non-standard homosexual behaviour is any more unhealthy than similar hetero-sexual behavior.  Once you get outside protected monogamous relationships you are asking for trouble.  How can you show that a man doing something to a man is any more dangerous than a man doing the same thing to a woman?  or vice versa?   (In other words how can you show that having a man with his head in your lap is more dangerous than a woman with her head in the same place? in any kind of a scientific manner.)  When you are arguing a scientific decision you better be prepared with scientific arguments.

In most of the world AIDS is spread by men fooling around with women not their wives, men fooling around outside marriage with hookers, drug additcs, etc, is a significant cause here too especially in minority communitites.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't know first hand, but I'm told it's a pain in the A$$.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just look anywhere, anything you find will be unpopular with somebody.

This is an argument you aren't gonna win, even if you think your data is unassailable.  Your opponent is going to have as much if not more data supporting his/her point of view.

Arguing this is like arguing religion with a fanatic (on his her beliefs) as you can see how  it gets around here (with a variety of topics, including this one)emotion takes hold and overides any semblance of sentient thought.

Your best bet is to start with Google Searches or if you live near a big enough library look up the Journals of the APA.  

In any case it will be hard to find any convincing evidence that non-standard homosexual behaviour is any more unhealthy than similar hetero-sexual behavior.  Once you get outside protected monogamous relationships you are asking for trouble.  How can you show that a man doing something to a man is any more dangerous than a man doing the same thing to a woman?  or vice versa?   (In other words how can you show that having a man with his head in your lap is more dangerous than a woman with her head in the same place? in any kind of a scientific manner.)  When you are arguing a scientific decision you better be prepared with scientific arguments.

In most of the world AIDS is spread by men fooling around with women not their wives, men fooling around outside marriage with hookers, drug additcs, etc, is a significant cause here too especially in minority communitites.

Generally, gay men have many more anonymous partners than heteros (higher risk), and they can pass HIV just as easily between them especially with bleeding during anal sex (so it spreads much more easily).  On the other hand it is harder to pass HIV from a woman to a man than from a man to a woman.  These are the facts, they are hardly in dispute in that gay men are more likely to be HIV positive than hetero men.  How do you explain that?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
unprotected anal sex is unprotected anal sex.  You stick it in a male slut or a female slut it's the same act, if the receiver is infected you have the same chances no matter what their sex is.  If you are "hetero" male black or hispanic and you stick it in a female not your wife or monogamous girlfriend you stand a pretty good chance of catching it, than a white "homo" is now.  But that demographics change depending on where you look at the subject population.  so if you are unable to refute the international statistics by shiftng the argument to a smaller population you are going to lost the argument.  You are going to try to limit the population to fit your desired outcome and he is going to try to limit the population to fit his desired outcome.

The point is that unless you are prepared to go into the argument prepared to counter the other you aint gonna win and this is not a winnable argument because you aren't going to get either party to agree to the others demographics.  Neither side is going to agree to the validity of the others population arguments so why try?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Recent study:

Average man has 7 partners in his lifetime.

Average gay male has >500!

Germs? You do the math.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Recent study:

Germs? You do the math.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Cite the study; that doesn’t sound reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Perhaps it isnt inherently more dangerous, but common practices of homosexuality may be more dangerous than common practices of heterosexualty.  For example, gay men may be less likely to use a condom than straight men because guys don't get pregnant.  I don't know, I'm not queer, but that's some of my logic as to why homo's seem to contract AIDS easier.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#15]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Recent study:

Germs? You do the math.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Cite the study; that doesn’t sound reasonable.

I know, I've had waaaaaaayyyyyy more than seven.
Okay, so I haven't had any.[>(]  What's it to ya?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Regarding dropping homosexuality from the DSM: It was spearheaded by closeted homosexual doctors. This was in some NPR documentary recently, and if they will go so far as to admit that, it must be true.

Nothing about homosexuality changed.
Nothing about mental illness changed.
Only the number of homosexuals who got a vote changed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#17]
...this may be unpopular...but I think you are a fag...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Whoops??? Are you saying you believed something on NPR?? You don't also believe their anti-gun stuff?  I mean if they say does that make it so???
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I personally have no problem with very hot bi-sexual girls.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't like fluffernutters as much as the next person but, come on! What is this 'conservative' thinking that somehow homosexuality is a choice? do you really think a guy says, 'gee i really used to like Pam Anderson but WOW! Charlies Hairy smelly Butt has been giving me boners lately!' Paleezze! Why would someone choose this life style voluntarily? with all the stigma attached? Plus one thing you cannot have children when you're gay which is a most basic human instinct. So it must be a genetic effect. In fact they've studied Gays and their family trees and discovered that the pattern seems to follow the same as other inherited qualities. But just like evolution and other scientific works of the devil. I'm sure that religious types will reject such findings and turn to the bible for their hatreds of things they don't like.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#21]
It would be more than unpopular if I had to hold someone elses thingie
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#22]
ok the best site i know of from the top of my head is www.godhatesfags.com if you go to hear you can bypass all the churchy stuff they have all the facts and sources here

http://www.godhatesfags.com/fags/fagfacts.html

id hotlink it but i dont know how and im too lazy
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Homosexuals were born that way. So, therefor, its a birth defect and one of these days scientists will find a cure for it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I don't like fluffernutters as much as the next person but, come on! What is this 'conservative' thinking that somehow homosexuality is a choice? do you really think a guy says, 'gee i really used to like Pam Anderson but WOW! Charlies Hairy smelly Butt has been giving me boners lately!' Paleezze! Why would someone choose this life style voluntarily? with all the stigma attached? Plus one thing you cannot have children when you're gay which is a most basic human instinct. So it must be a genetic effect. In fact they've studied Gays and their family trees and discovered that the pattern seems to follow the same as other inherited qualities. But just like evolution and other scientific works of the devil. I'm sure that religious types will reject such findings and turn to the bible for their hatreds of things they don't like.  

How can you say it's different than anything else we choose to do?  So, are murders that way because they were born wanting to kill innocent people?  Are drug addicts only following what their genes say?  Why debate anything political, everyone must be liberal/consertative based on their genes right?  Or do you think someone who likes shooting guns just one day says "Forget this crap, I'm going to go worship the Earth godess and vote Democratic!"  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Homosexuality is one of leading causes to the spread of AIDS.

AIDS ruffly translated is Anal Injected Death Serum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top