User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 2:25:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Always a good read.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting read. Thank you, I'm not paranoid enough.

-HS
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't worry they will protect us........
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got my iodine pills, and my BoB is ready.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I found this to be amazing:

If you're seven miles away from a one megaton explosion, the heat emanating from the fireball will cause a first-degree burn (equivalent to a bad sunburn ) to any exposed skin facing the light.

When see the flash, you're already getting burnt.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Also this:

900 Rem
Distance: 90 miles
A lethal dose of radiation. Death occurs from two to fourteen days.

Great.  If Denver gets nuked, I'm dead up her in Fort Collins.  Geez.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Those duck and cover drills may finally pay off.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I am so fried if the balloon goes up!

Oh well. I won't be around to care. Party on without me guys.

jim
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]
No problem.  I have my duct tape and plastic sheets ready to go.

Seriously, though, I would be much worried about a dirty bomb (radioactive conventional bomb) than a real nuke.  The most likely threat is Islamic terrorists, and unless they get their hands on a functioning nuke that's designed to be set off by hand, they're unlikely to be able to make one.  With the support of an unfriendly nation, it's possible, of course, but does anyone want to take bets on how long it would take before said nation was reduced to a big, glass parking lot?

Dirty bombs, however, are damned easy to make if you get some good radioactive material.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Bleh. Any sizeable nuke will eat my @$$ up almost instantly.

(I'm in NYC, ~7mi away from Downtown Manhattan. The only place more likely to get nuked than this one is DC).
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Terrorist devices won't be anywhere NEAR the 1 megaton range.  Low kilotonnage at best.  Hiroshima class bombs give or take.   Certainly enough to screw up your year and effectively take out a city, but not enough to kill a whole county or region. I've got mountains in all directions BTW, not super high ones, but high enough to block direct gamma ray bombardment.

I hope neither I or my children live to see such a thing though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top