Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2003 3:07:02 AM EDT
Oh dear- I thought there already was one. It's called ABCBSNBCNNPR.... Well, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this one. Nobody's going to leave NPR to work for these turkeys now that NPR just got a $200 million dollar bequest from Ray Kroc's widow....talk about throwing good money after bad!

Proposed liberal radio network sold to new investors who aim for startup early next year

Wednesday, November 19, 2003

(11-19) 18:49 PST CHICAGO (AP) --

A group headed by a former adviser to the Democratic National Committee has taken over the effort to create a liberal radio network to compete with conservative talk radio.

Mark Walsh, who's also a former America Online executive, said his investors' group bought the proposed network from the venture capitalists who started AnShell Media L.L.C. in February. The purchase price was not announced.

At the time, Sheldon and Anita Drobny said they had lined up $10 million and hoped to be on the air by this fall. But the Drobnys never hired any talent, purchased any stations or signed any distribution contracts.

Walsh, who once served as the DNC's chief technology adviser, said Tuesday that he expects to be broadcasting by early next year.

Liberal comedian and author Al Franken said he was encouraged by the sale to Walsh's group and that he was talking with Walsh about developing a show.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:13:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:17:16 AM EDT
[#2]
i'm sure they'll have top of the line "disconnect phone call" buttons
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
That is all well and good but their biggest problem will be finding stations to carry it. If they go XM or Sirrus will there be enough subscribers to carry it. What local radio station will be the first to put it up against Rush or the local conservative guys. It might play in New York or LA or Chicago but it won't play in Peoria. Looks like risky business to me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:19:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Hello!!!  

NPR!

as in 90.1 KPFT in Houston, TX
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The "trouble" with talk radio is that it requires thought- there aren't an pictures or colorful charts to view.

Liberals don't think- they feel.

I give it a year...  Two tops.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Will never get off the ground...

oh yea?
this is the Talk show list for 90.1 in Houston Pacifica Radio.  try not to puke on the screen.

African Journal
After Hours
Arab Voices
Border Crossings
Community Dialogue
Connect the Dots
CPR (Critical & Progressive Review)
Cultural Baggage
Earth 101
Fight Back
Go Vegan Texas!
The Human Rights Show
Irish Aires
KPFT News
Latino Voices
LivingArt
New Capital
Nuestra Palabra
Open Journal
The Other Side
People of Earth
The Prison Show
The Progressive Forum
Proyecto Latino Americano
Queer Voices
Sexto Sol
Soccer Hour
Technology Bytes
Thresholds
Whole Mother
The Women\'s Collective
Working Voices
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's see, the original organizers got $10 mil in pledges but couldn't put a program together in what? 6 months? So now somebody's gonna make a commercial success (or at least something whose rate of loss in not fatal) with the same agenda? Can I invest in this project? Sign me up! I get a free cup of purple Kool-Aid, right?

Didn't they put Mario Cuomo (who is, objectively, one of the greatest orators of modern times, although his content is crap) on the radio a few years ago for just this purpose? Didn't he go down in flames?

Their big problem is that they have nothing to offer but shopworn antilibertarian patent medicines. However fast they may be on the kill switch, they can't prevent people from getting through with simple questions like "But I'll be paying more taxes for this, right?" or "Isn't there a 2 year wait for heart surgery in Canada?" I give 'em 6 months, tops, if they ever get off the ground.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought there already was a bunch of them.
Thats like saying they are going to start a liberal tv station.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, it could be fun!!! Imagine being able to call in and tell the host and all of the listeners (assuming there are any) just exactly why they are wrong!  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will never get off the ground...

oh yea?
this is the Talk show list for 90.1 in Houston Pacifica Radio.  try not to puke on the screen.

African Journal
After Hours
Arab Voices
Border Crossings
Community Dialogue
Connect the Dots
CPR (Critical & Progressive Review)
Cultural Baggage
Earth 101
Fight Back
Go Vegan Texas!
The Human Rights Show
Irish Aires
KPFT News
Latino Voices
LivingArt
New Capital
Nuestra Palabra
Open Journal
The Other Side
People of Earth
The Prison Show
The Progressive Forum
Proyecto Latino Americano
Queer Voices
Sexto Sol
Soccer Hour
Technology Bytes
Thresholds
Whole Mother
The Women\'s Collective
Working Voices

I think that what Aimless meant was that it will never get off the ground as anything other than a  perpetual money pit for the fringe elements.

What's the listenership of this Houston station? I'd bet that it's very small, and that the station is supported almost entirely by "funding" (don't you just love that euphemism?) from a handful of lunatics.

Sure, a station can survive on a shoestring as long as you can convince a few of the local liberal elites to keep opening their checkbooks, but it doesn't lead to popular acceptance of the station or its programming. That's one reason  why most NPR affiliates don't sell advertising – nobody's willing to buy air time on a station that only 0.001 percent of the population ever listens to.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
p-fhaaa...

It will fail as they all do.

--LS

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah?

Well, Rush Limbaugh will still clean their clocks even if the Golden EIB Microphone is located in a minimum security federal prison, a half-way house, or a drug rehabilitation center!

Eric The(Sassier'nHades)Hun

Limbaugh, hell. They'll never even be in the same league as him. Even Savage, Boortz, or Hannity could nail them to the wall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Ho-Hum, I wouldn't even give it a year before it dies.....anybody remember when cuomo had his own talk radio show? It splashed onto the scene, no one will listen, and before you know it, it was gone.......same exact thing will happen again...the build up and advertising for it, will probably run longer, then the show will.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top