Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 3:43:56 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a new 1911 (.45ACP) and it will be my first pistol.  I have shot them a couple times.  I am looking for something dead reliable, relatively inexpensive and possesing reasonbale accuracy.  What is the best 1911 for me?

Thanks,
DEERSNIPER
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my 1991A1.  A 1911 should have a horsey on the grips.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the dark side, Luke.  

Kimber would be my preference, but if you're on a short budget, look at the Sistema from JLD Enterprises.  Mine has been a very good shooter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a shame you can't get those DECENT Norinco 1911's anymore.  I bought one for $275 new years ago and still have it.  A great and inexpensive 1911!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt 1991A1 New Roll Mark 80 Series.

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with a Springfield Armory MilSpec.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Go with a Springfield Armory MilSpec.

+1
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a Sistema - I think that's the best bang for the buck
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Cheap and good is usually an oxymoron.  If you're not truly streached to the limit, save your bucks and buy a Kimber or even a real Colt.  They're both around the same bucks.  I know the allure of a 1911.  I own a rebuilt 1911.  It's seen two maybe three wars.  I would suggest "renting" or trying out several models before you back the truck full of money up to the shop to take one home.  Try other pistols too.  Many people swear by their Sigs, Berettas and Glocks.  I don't know what you want the gun for??  But I'm much more accurate with my Glock 26 or 23 than the 1911 Colt.  For some reason these old eyes have a hard time picking up the front sight on the 1911.  My .02.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm at the same page as you are.. but I went the do-it-yourself route.

Right now it is only an 80% frame, with some magazines, the rail cutting bits, and some Novak sights (Thanks JAFO!)... but the rest will be purchased soon... ooh soon!

hopefully will look like a chromed version of this in the end:
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Its a shame you can't get those DECENT Norinco 1911's anymore.  I bought one for $275 new years ago and still have it.  A great and inexpensive 1911!

There is one on the EE

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=186805

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was a GI, I built about a dozen of them for various members of my Battery. I used Essex frames, and (of course) USGI parts.

Several years ago I built my own with (allegedly) USGI parts from a gunshow and an Essex frame.

I wasn't too surprised to find out that my memory didn't fail me, it took me about a 1/2 hour to snap it together. Not bad, considering I'd been out of the army for almost 20 years.

I's an 'as issued' quality piece and shoots like one, which is OK, as waht I want is stone cold reliability. Sometimes it's my carry piece. Shoots pretty good, too.

The guy that posted about the Norincos at $275 wasn't too far off. A BUNCH of NM pistols out there started as Norinco off-the-shelf pieces.
It was one hell of a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two 1911s: an early 90s Springfield that has been through a bit of gunsmithing (ambi safety, beavertail, Bar-Sto bbl., etc), and an early 2000s Kimber with no 'smithing.

The Springfield, after 'smithing, is the most reliable handgun I've fired. The Kimber is close, and it came with all of the goodies ('cept ambi safety) from the factory. Two issues with the Kimber: the chamber is tighter, so it will not go into battery after lots of shooting with lead bullets & no cleaning. The Kimber also came with a crappy magazine.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#14]
What did you think of my bare bones Auto ordinance government model? I like the "US Army" stamped on the slide. That's what sold me. It had some problems in the beginning, but the good people at AO took care of me without me spending a dime.They did some cool custom work to it like polishing the feed ramp extended extrator, and so on. Now it shoots everything. It's about the same price as a Springfield Mil Spec. It doesn't even mind hollow points. I agree that you should try a few out before buying one. Springfield has some good deals on some fairly customized 1911's for a reasonable price, so dose Kimber. Good luck. I hope you can find one that is as reliable as your Ruger 10/22.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
My suggestion is to get a Springfield Mil-Spec and shoot the piss out of it. After a thousand rounds (or a couple thou), you will either grow attached to it and not want any changes, or figure out what updates/improvements you would like. Then you can either get a new pistol with the features you want, or update the Mil-Spec to meet your needs.

Or you can get a model with features you think you might like to start off with.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My suggestion is to get a Springfield Mil-Spec and shoot the piss out of it. After a thousand rounds (or a couple thou), you will either grow attached to it and not want any changes, or figure out what updates/improvements you would like. Then you can either get a new pistol with the features you want, or update the Mil-Spec to meet your needs.

Jonathan

Sounds like a pretty good idea.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Leelaw, I'm almost done with my first one.  She's a little rough still, but since this pic was taken, I have cleaned up the slide, and installed a beavertail safety.  Those grips are handmade, not too bad, eh?

I have test fired it, and it works pretty good. Parkerizing just around the corner!

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am looking to buy a new 1911 (.45ACP) and it will be my first pistol.  I have shot them a couple times.  I am looking for something dead reliable, relatively inexpensive and possesing reasonbale accuracy.  What is the best 1911 for me?

Thanks,
DEERSNIPER

Kimber Stainless would be a very good choice!

If you need any other help just send me an email or IM.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#19]
There are several good choices – the real issue is how much money you have to spend.

A basic Colt model would be my first choice, though Kimbers are definitely good, too.

If they’re a bit too expensive, then a Springfield Armory would certainly be adequate.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#20]
1911, reliable, accurate, and inexpensive all in the same sentence???

I bought my first 1911A1 twelve years ago for $399, a Springfield Armory standard GI type.  It wasn't reliable so it went to the 'smith, $200 later it is now the most reliable semi-auto I own - my favorite handgun and I love it.

I have since bought another Springfield Compact much of the "smithing" was already done, it's prettier than my "GI" gun - but it usually sits on my nightstand because I still prefer the "big" gun.

My next 1911 will most likely be be a Kimber.

Do your research and I'm sure you'll find the compromise you're looking for.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm going thru the same thought process now. Favoring the Springfield milspec and I'd be interested in what makes one make better than another as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#22]
You might as well get a Springfield or a Kimber and get it out of your system.  Then, sell em and get yourself a real 1911 - Wilson Combat or Les Baer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Something basic...

In my case, it was a Sistema Colt (aka 1927), which is the Argentine name for the original (WWII-era) Colt 1911A1. Made in Argentina under license from Colt, this is the same gun as the Springfield milspec, just older, and about $150 cheaper ($300 for a top-grade gun from JLD Surplus (www.cruffler.com/JLD.html))...

When they say 'very good' condition, that's an understatement, or at least my gun was... I'm getting another one soon...

In addition to Springfield and the Agentine surplus guns, Rock Island and Norinco also make 'mil-spec' .45s. However, I'd preferr one of the first two...

'Star', 'Firestorm', 'llama', and 'Ballester-Molina' are all 1911-look-alikes. About the only thing that they have in common with the 1911 besides looks is the .45ACP cartridge and the mags...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Kimber Classic Custom.  About $650.

I like it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You might as well get a Springfield or a Kimber and get it out of your system.  Then, sell em and get yourself a real 1911 - Wilson Combat or Les Baer.

Good advice for those who can afford a 4-figure pistol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#26]
My Colt 1991A1 was the first hand gun I ever fired, performed flawlessly. The horsey was a big factor in the purchase.

My SA WWII Mil-Spec is yet unfired so I can't say much about it other then the price was right.

When I picked up my SA at the gun store I drooled over some Kimbers.

I wish I could have them all. 1911's Rule.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top