User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 10:19:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Homer Simpson on David Scwimmer:

"Yes, he is handsome in an ugly sort of way."
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the BoB set for my Christmas present last year. Excellent series, still haven't watched the last tape though.  One thing that would make the set better is if you'd get an M1 Garand with it, that would give you a better "feel" for the movie.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Gee, I dunno. I always gave the guy much respect just because he's had his tongue down Jennifer Anniston's throat.

I do see your point, SteyAUG. It does take a very motivated actor to portray a particularly unsavory character.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got the BoB set for my Christmas present last year. Excellent series, still haven't watched the last tape though.  One thing that would make the set better is if you'd get an M1 Garand with it, that would give you a better "feel" for the movie.  

Me too, but I'm confused.  What was the episode where Winters sprints across a field, climbs a dike (Holland?) and initiates the assault on an encampment of German soldiers--by himself?  I can't seem to find this segment on any of the DVD's I have and it was a great segment!  HELP!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Winter's one man assault is in the episode entitled 'Crossroads'.  Number 5 IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#8]
It's the opening sequence of episode 5 "Crossroads", which was actually directed by Tom Hanks.  Did anyone else notice that that sequence had a bit of "Saving Pvt. Ryan" feel to it????
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I may be wrong but I think it is the Crossroads episode where they catch the Germans preparing for counter attack and end up with the turkey shoot.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Didnt the Winters assault bookend the episode?

I seem to recall that the episode began with him going over the dike and drawing down on one of the germans, then the episode was a 'flashback' leading up to the assualt, with the assault ending the episode.

Or am I wrong and thinking about a different one?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Didnt the Winters assault bookend the episode?

I seem to recall that the episode began with him going over the dike and drawing down on one of the germans, then the episode was a 'flashback' leading up to the assualt, with the assault ending the episode.

Or am I wrong and thinking about a different one?

nope, you right.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Me too, but I'm confused.  What was the episode where Winters sprints across a field, climbs a dike (Holland?) and initiates the assault on an encampment of German soldiers--by himself?  I can't seem to find this segment on any of the DVD's I have and it was a great segment!  HELP!

Unless I'm mistaken (don't have my BOB dvd set handy to watch) the ep you're thinking of is "Crossroads".

Just went & dug it out.  Ep #5, "Crossroads" scene #3 "Going First"

My personal fav is "Breaking Point" when Lt Spears takes over....
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#13]
IIRC, the subject of Schwimmer being cast as Sobel came up for discusion when B.O.B. was first aired. I read the book well before the mini series was released and I agree that the book did not paint a flattering picture of Sobel as a man or as a leader.
Schwimmer played the character true to the books description and was a good choice for the part. I found it a little disconcerting that in his closing comments, Ambrose gives credit in an apologetic way to Sobel for the strong bond and discipline that the men of E 1/506th achieved. Especially since to a man, it seems that E company does no share his view and they lived through his tenure as the Company Commander.
The mini series seems to reflect the Ambrose view of Sobel as well. I recall two senes. One where Nixon comments to Winters that the hatred of Sobel is what motivates the men to try harder. This seems to imply that Sobel intentionally made his men hate him to motivate them. I doubt he was that clever. Another scene is when E Co. is preparing for the Market Garden jump and Sobel confronts Malarkey about the stolen motorcycle. Sobel first approaches the subject in a nudge, nudge, wink, wink sort of attitude implying tacit approval. Upon seeing Malarkey's reaction of denial and mistrust of Sobel, Sobel withdraws to his pompus old self.
The fact that Winters to this day gives no credit to Sobel for the Company's achievements speaks volumes. Winters seems to be the type of man who is an excellent judge of character.
Sobel may have been fit to supervise basic training but he was clearly unfit to lead in combat.
Then again, a good combat leader is a rare breed. It is nothing to be ashamed of if you are not be able to lead infantry in combat. Just be able to admit it and get the hell out of the way. Too many men are poor combat leaders but are too stupid or arrogant to admit it. Sobel seemed to be too arrogant to accept his shortcomings.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I found it interesting that so many of the actors used to portray Easy Co. Including Winters, were Brits.

BTW, Scott Grimes, who played Malarkey was a singer as a child and tried to break into the pop world.  He even released a record that was produced by Richard Carpenter.  Look it up on the web.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Steyr & others,

Check out the made-for-HBO movie Uprising, about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.  This movie is EXCELLENT, and co-stars Schwimmer with Hank Azaria and Leelee Sobieski.  He was remarkably good in the movie, and listening to the Actors Commentary is very interesting.

www.reel.com/content/boxart/vhs/133832.GIF

-Troy

that is a great mini-series. i remember I TOTALLY called it when the german bayo'd that guy with the violin.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Of course, it easily could be that the actor David Schwimmer in real life is just as much a 'pathetic, sadistic, chickenshit, overbearing asshole' as Capt. Sobel was.
So his performance may not have been much of a stretch.
I was hoping that you had seen him at a gun range in Florida, or something!
Eric The(AlwaysHopeful)Hun

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]
You are all correct on the “crossroads” episode (number 5).  I just watched it last night.  

I rent the DVD’s and watch them on my laptop.  The series thus far has been fantastic!  

It almost makes me wish I had a TV to watch them on…

The series also has me jonesing for a M1.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi. My name is Zaphod, and I STILL haven't seen BOB......

Where do I start my 12-step program?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Having met David Schwimmer, I found him to be pleasant, intelligent and not your typical "I'm a star & you're nothing" celebrity.  (Unlike Gary Busey.)  Don't confuse Schwimmer's character on "Friends" or that he's an actor with him personally.  I thought he did a great job playing the Captain in "Band of Brothers" though obviously we all loathed the officer.  I'm also glad someone mentioned "Uprising" which is a pretty good made-for-tv movie.  One I'd like to add to my DVD collection.

Granted, I don't know his politics, however give him the benefit of the doubt.  Not every Hollyweird celeb is a leftist-antigun elitist.

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It's a 10-step program and can be started at any video store or even wal mart.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#23]
the real sobel commited suicide in the early 80's( i think) he still couldnt come to bear that for some reason his men did not like him, and it finally got to him permanantly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Ya know its funny, one thing I took away from the book and the film as that Sobel intended the men to band together in their hatred of him, in a typical DI style?

I may be being overly generous there, but there hatred of him certainly seemed to the a unifying factor amongst them at the start.

Definitely not a combat leader, but a strangely effective trainer...

/Phil
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't think Sobel was using some kind of super technique on the men of Easy Co. He was just a sadistic prick who his his own insecurities behind a facade of cruelty. the book details (slightly) his estrangement from his own family, his issues can't all be related to his loss of the command of Easy.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#26]
isnt schwimmer on the brady bunch good guy list ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#27]
What, no one seen him in Breast Men?

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought the scene where the guys were behind the trees and one was imitating the CO was great.

They wouldn't have done that to a leader they respected.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

HI, ZAPHOD!  Dude, you need serious help!  Get to your local video/DVD rental outlet--ON THE DOUBLE--and rent this series!  The members here would agree that it's easily one of the best military movies ever made (and you'll HATE Schwimmer's character)!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:09:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Zaphod, it took reall guts to admit that on this board.

However, now we can't associate with you anymore until you've seen at least the first two episodes.

Sorry.  It's just the way it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top