Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2001 5:03:02 PM EDT
A hypothetical question:  Say I want to bury something metalic for a rainy day.  How deep should bury it to avoid detection by professional-quality metal detectors?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
your gonna need a bigger shovel. Only thing you can do is bury it where they won't possibly look for it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Or dig in deep woods...
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Be sure to bury it vertically as well, to make a smaller target for a metal detector.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
good point 700, I hadnt thought of that
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
As deep as you can, reasonably speaking. Best way with a lower is to strip it, soak it in oil, seal it in a zipper baggie, seal it in PVC pipe, then use post hole diggers (to give a small target) right next to a HUGE rock, pole, or whatever. If possible, move that big object over the "metallic item". Biggest thing is to
1: make SURE NOBODY SEES YOU. If they see you bury it then it is pretty stupid to even bother, huh?
2: REMEMBER where you put it. If you forgot where you hid it then it was just as stupid.
3: REMEMBER where you put it, not tell the world. If you tell a friend.... Also you must remember, because it would be pretty dumb to have it posted up on your fridge where it is.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Do not use oil alone to protect the metal. The metal must be greased heavily, and then you can fill the tube with oil afterward. Oil has a certain amount of moisture in it, and has a tendency to trap that moisture between itself and metal parts when stored for long periods.

My personal opinion would be better to remove wood and plastic and store it seperately.

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I would only bury a few feet so they would be easily recovered by you in the future. I would also plant many bogus targets ( brake rotors, are good). Just make sure it is buried on land you have control over.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#10]
you may laugh, but a good place is right under yore floor, if that is you live in an old house with old cast iron plumbing and new copper plumbing.

this setup can create a lot of phantoms for the detectors and the eye in the sky wont see you hide it.

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]
The best would be to bury it under a car or on the lead side of you plinking range.

Vertical could be easy with a good post hole digger.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]
if you gonna plan on burying stuff aways away and using a gps to find it later like everbody's pal Henry Bowman did. What happens to those gps satellites when everything goes to shit back on earth?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Why bury it. Perhaps overhead can be a good choice if you have acentral heating system.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I do a little metal detecting, and have a top of the line "Whites" Spectrum XLT.

If I am looking for something, steel, silver, gold etc. I can get really deep. I dug the fire door from a pot belly stove recently. My shovel is 3 feet long and I was deeper than that.
The larger the mass of the object, the easier it is to find.
Now, I am not an "experianced" hunter. Someone that does this for a serious hobby can go even deeper. Small cannon balls @ 3+ feet. Silver dollars @ 2+ feet.
I can also tell the difference from one metal to another, MOST of the time.

4' deep, or more....bury it deep.

Lew
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have heard burying next to utility pipes is a good idea as the signal will be expected. However, don't forget about the risk of "routine maintenance" discovery.  I have also heard of vericle bury when you build a fence. Dip a deep hole, partial fill and fence post. I'm not sure if metal detectors will differencitate between the metal post and object under it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
2 things run thru my head.....

IF 'they' are searching, soil disruption would be ANOTHER thing that needs camoflagued....

Is there no way to mask the metal? a THICK sheet of fiberglass or rock/broken concrete?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#20]
How about you ass, They'll never look there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I can "see" through rock and concrete, but I'm not gonna dig through concrete.

Or you might just put it somewhere a person on foot wouldnt likely go, or somewhere I could'nt swing a detector. EA: very thick brush, high grass etc.

Lew
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry about my last 10X-man. Had a bad day.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By uncle buck:
View Quote

That's what the guy in the movie, "Three Kings" thought..................................
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#24]
best way to bury something is to NOT bury it near your house or any places they will search!
if you hunt a place where you can just access it any time of the day no problem; would be ideal. also learn to make your own Guns; they
cannot find if they don't know you have it. that ar15 you bought at a Gun shop is worthless(not money wise though). you have filled a form 1; they know about it.(i mean if they target you for some reason) you should use a post hole digger and a spade. you should cosmoline the weapon inside and out make it look like one big ball of grease.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#25]
[b]How deep should I bury it?[/b]

if this is the case bury it has far has you can to make her moan!!! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I do geophysical surveys to locate unexploded ordnance (I use very fancy metal detectors to find things).  If someone has an idea where you have buried something they can find it.  Placing it in vertical position probably wont help if they walk directly over the item. Lots of metal directly beneath the detector in a small area creates a big signal. Also, if someone is using ground penetrating radar they can locate the limits of your excavtion at the surface and the subsurface since the soil will have a different density where you have been digging.  

On an unrelated topic, overhead high voltage lines really f*ck-up electromagnetic instruments (metal detectors) hint hint
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Or you could just take it to the deep woods as I said before.  Where no one is going to drag a shitload of equipment to look for it.  And you won't be seen by the "eye in the sky", as you're concealed by trees.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Burying is one option..there are other places to hide it as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought this was a sex question!
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#30]
How about near an automotive junk yard where there is other metal?  Graveyard, lots of metal coffins.  There would so much metal you couldn't tell what is what, except of course you know what/where it is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Wrong! They will look there and your cell mate will bury his deep in there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Always wanted to ask this question to see if it was really stupid or would work. Now is the time as everyone is wondering. Metal detector people might know. Here goes now don't laugh to hard. Can a metal detector pickup objects through lead? Was wondering if a guy put 1-2" lead plate over top. Now you can laugh.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#33]
The time for burying was years ago, it is now the time for digging those things back up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
The time for burying was years ago, it is now the time for digging those things back up.
View Quote
AMEN!!!
   If it's bad enough to start burying guns, it's bad enough to do something more drastic. Are we the f**king French underground? Hiding ourselves and our gear for struggle that will be too little, too late?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#35]
You don't bury guns, you bury the dead.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
View Quote

I thought we buried to prevent detection when they came for the guns, then brought them back up after they were gone?  Or are you calling for the preemptive strike now?  Are you going to lead the battle?  And how many do you think will follow?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Or you could just take it to the deep woods as I said before.  Where no one is going to drag a shitload of equipment to look for it.  And you won't be seen by the "eye in the sky", as you're concealed by trees.
View Quote

Wrong!!! Did you see the program on tv the other day where people have been in this confederate base in Georgia or somewhere trying to find old cannons etc...  They were taking backhoes and other stuff down there to dig with!
I don't remember the details about it.
Lynn  [uzi]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top