Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 4:10:59 AM EDT
have any of you seen these before?  

basically it's a site that people pay for to write their thoughts about thier daily lives. im not sure which age group this is common with but i think its really weird. i thought journals were supposed to be kept private?!

would you want everybody knowing everything about you that you dont even know?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:24:34 AM EDT
[#1]
My secretary is into all that bullshit.  It's common with the under-21 crowd I believe. They are called "blogs" in general.  There are tons of different kinds but there are three basic types.
Your standard blog doesn't allow anyone to reply in public.  You may have an option for people to email you their thoughts, but otherwise it's all about you.
Then theres the kind where you invite friends and they can respond to you in public.  It's like a forum (like this) that's all about you for your friends.
Last there's the kind where anyone that stumbles onto it can respond to you.  It's like a totally public forum that's all about you.

I have't been able to figure out why anyone thinks they need to have their shit out there, but even harder to understand are the nimrods that actually reply.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can't believe anyone would really want to hear about what I had for breakfast and my exciting trip to the dry cleaners and the quickee oil change place at lunch.

Who needs Blogs, we've got Arfcom!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#4]
My kid (15) does it. There are websites that host them for free. Some of the stuff people write is insightful, other stuff is ass-numbingly tedious ("Right in the middle of my spoon, there was this like deformed Cheerio . . . "). I don't get it myself. My son's writings indicate that he is not conscious of the fact he's putting his shit on the street for the whole world to read (though he obviously knows that), rather that he thinks of it as being accessed only by his friends.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It is a generational thing...my wife and I have talked about this and can't figure out for the life of us why someone would make such personal thoughts public domain...

I personally think it is part of the "look at me" mentality of todays generation.  Everyone wants to be the center of the world, they life is SO important that it has to be documened...as if others that don't know that person really care what they ate for dinner.  I really think they want to be the center of attention...really a sad indicator if you stop and think about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top