Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 8:10:51 PM EDT
I was talking to a ROTC recruiter and it sounds like they have a really good deal. If you are already in the guard you do 2 years of ROTC to become a 2nd Lt.

here is my question the recruiter said meanwhile before you graduate you will be a E-5 I forgot to ask but what will your rank be?

would you still be a private but just at a higher pay grade or would you be a corporal or even a sgt.?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was talking to a ROTC recruiter and it sounds like they have a really good deal. If you are already in the guard you do 2 years of ROTC to become a 2nd Lt.

here is my question the recruiter said meanwhile before you graduate you will be a E-5 I forgot to ask but what will your rank be?

would you still be a private but just at a higher pay grade or would you be a corporal or even a sgt.?

No.  
Your rank would be "Cadet"  You would get paid as an E-5 for your weekend drills and your two-week ATs once you signed with ROTC and became part of the Simultaneous Membership Program.  However, you are not an officer, or NCO, and can not give orders.
You are obligated to SMP if you are MOSq'd--that is, if you've been through AIT.  You continue to go the 1 weekend/month/2weeeks/year, and you get paid as E-5, or approximately 240 a weekend, which is considered 4 days' pay.  
What would you do as an SMP Cadet? well, it varies from unit to unit, but probably a lot of the beans and bullets type stuff.  VoilsB may have a better answer than I.
If you are trying to finish your education before you get deployed, keep in mind that you can get orders to be deployed as soon as you leave for AIT, and up to the point that you sign the contract with your ROTC battalion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
So lets say my unit is deployed while I am at AIT and when I come back and contract with ROTC. Would I get to stay, or would I get pulled out of college?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

\

just a tip for you if you are in the military and college you should really do ROTC, from what I have seen (from family)you will appreciate the better treatment in the long run.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I did it back in 1983. I joined the reserves out of high school, returned from basic, immediately joined the ROTC at the Univ of Miami as a third year cadet, and graduated from the ROTC while finishing my sophmore year in college at the tender age of 19. I do not think they let you do it that way anymore. I kept getting pressure to attend my Engineer OBC but they could not force me until I graduated 3 years later.
You must be aware that if you are presently in the reserves, the army will break your contract and write a new one stating your new obligation as a cadet but your contracted term does not begin until you are commissioned. for example, i signed for six years in the reserves. that was changed to 2yrs as a cadet and then another 8 years begining once commissioned. (the army changed all obligations to 8 yrs from 6 at the time. )
Also the duties and responsibilities you receive as a cadet in your unit will vary. I was treated as an officer and was made a plattoon leader before being commissioned. The first year though I was attached to the XO and basically followed him around doing special projects.
The best part of being a cadet is the opportunity to go to airborne and air assault school. make it a point to go. those wings make a big difference when you are a new LT commanding men twice your age in the reserves.
good luck and remember this info is 20 yrs old but it should give you a rough idea of what to expect.
angel
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
as a cadet but your contracted term does not begin until you are commissioned. for example, i signed for six years in the reserves. that was changed to 2yrs as a cadet and then another 8 years begining once commissioned. (the army changed all obligations to 8 yrs from 6 at the time. )
angel

really, is it still that way?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#6]
DOT!!!!!!!!!!

TXL
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So lets say my unit is deployed while I am at AIT and when I come back and contract with ROTC. Would I get to stay, or would I get pulled out of college?

If you are in AIT and your unit is deployed, chances are you will be mailed orders wherever you are training at to join them upon your finishing AIT.
HOWEVER...Once you contract with ROTC, you are NONDEPLOYABLE.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Save time and make more money in State OCS. You must first have 60 semester hours to attend. You go once a month for 14 months and a two week AT each summer. You are paid as an E6 and don't drill with your unit. After you graduate and have 90 semester hours, you are commissioned as a 2Lt. and will get federal recognition. Your commission is good for the Guard and active Army and Reserve.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Save time and make more money in State OCS. You must first have 60 semester hours to attend. You go once a month for 14 months and a two week AT each summer. You are paid as an E6 and don't drill with your unit. After you graduate and have 90 semester hours, you are commissioned as a 2Lt. and will get federal recognition. Your commission is good for the Guard and active Army and Reserve.

I didn't think that that got you federal recognition...[:\]  ??
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you are commissioned as a 2Lt. and will get federal recognition. Your commission is good for the Guard and active Army and Reserve.

so if I do ROTC while I am in the National Guard and I decide to go active duty Army I wouldn't be a 2nd LT?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#11]
State level OCS doesn't guarantee Federal Recognition.  If your unit is activated, you are still an officer.  If you choose to convert to Active Duty, you won't be.  However, it's pretty easy to get Federal Recognition by filling out some simple paperwork.  I don't know what it is, but the OCS cadre will.

An ROTC commission is federal.

As a Cadet in the guard, your job will vary depending primarily on your CO.  In my company, I've been a PL or a co-PL (attached to an LT, do a PL job when he wants me to) for about a year now.  Where I'm at, I'm essentially a 2LT who can't sign paperwork as an officer and who has a funny  looking dot on his hat.

Since my unit got activated, I'm now pulling double duty as a PL and the XO.  My PSG is a non-MOSQ SGT (came from active duty Marines).  It's an interesting situation ... normally my PSG knows his and my job pretty well.  This time, we're a little reversed.

That's my bit of rambling.

Oh yeah ... and we get to drink beer at the training meetings
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the scoop.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, a lot of this got hashed out on this thread: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=212127
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top