Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2003 5:07:53 PM EDT
I have an iMac that I tried to boot into OS X from 9.2. I went into the system folder into the control panels folder. I clicked the startup disk icon. I selected the drive with OS X . From the pull down menu I hit the restart button.Now its stuck on a grey screen with a little turning wheel or clock .It never finishes booting.I have turned it off with the power button, but does the same thing on power up.This was factory loaded.I am pretty shure this machine has never been booted to OS X.How do I get it back to 9.2
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried atl/apple+escape to quit ?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have the OS 9.2 CD, put the CD in, reboot the machine and hold down the C key untill it shows it is booting off the OS Cd.

fix it from there
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of iMac is it? The older G3 style or the newer G4 Flatpanel type? If it's the newer G4 flatpanel type, hold down the Option key when you restart and it will bring up icons for any operating systems it finds on your machine. Just wait a minute for it to finish searching and then select your OS 9 and click on the arrow to finish starting up in OS 9.
If you have an older G3 style iMac, just start up off your OS 9 system CD by holding down the C key. When it finishes booting off the CD, under the Apple menu, select Control Panels and then Startup Disk. You should be able to select your OS 9 volume as your boot volume. Post back if you get it to work or have anyproblems. Or you can email me direct. J
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Throw the mac away and get a real computer, a PC.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
How long did you wait? Sometimes when I restart my machine running 10.2.8 it takes quite a long time to start up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that didnt take too long to get the immature Mac haters comment. lol
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
follow these 3 simple steps:
1. unplug mac
2. drop mac out window
3. buy a real PC
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Mac users unite...

Geez I had no idea there were so many armed Mac users.

; )

jim
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]
PC's RULE...

... for cheap target practice.

I would not own anything but a Mac for computing though.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#10]
People who don't like Mac's have never used a Mac. I put up with crap from my PC for 3 years until one day I said "no more of this, I'm going to try a Mac." well, I've never been happier.  Finally, a computer that works for a change.  I've not had to reload my op system a single time and I've had my iMac for almost 2 years now.  With my PC I had to totally reformat and reload the op system (windows 98) about every six months to keep the system from locking up all the time.  I'm sure that a PC running Linux would be cool but anything made by microsoft is just pure junk, plain and simple.  I can't stand Bill Gates, he has too much money and doesn't care about his customers because everytime a new op system is put out by microsoft a butt load of patches and fixes have to be installed to fix his shoddy op system.  Hack on Macs if ya'll want too, I love mine and will never own another PC. Life is just too easy with my iMac.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mac users unite...

; )

jim

Damn right.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#12]
PCs is poplar 'cuz ya can buy 'em at Wal Mart.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#13]
And another thing, anyone that knows anything about computers knows that most of the creative types(artists, writers, musicians, ect.)prefer Macs because they have better software for creativity. iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, all come standard on a Mac, most PC users have to buy software like this to do what Mac users do right out of the box.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#14]

I use Macs and PCs every day, equally. No lie, no exhageration. I work on Macs at my job, and here at home I have a PC and a Mac networked to the internet. I have problems with the PC regularly, but my Mac gives me no problems. I learned a long time ago not to let Mac bashers get under my skin. I don't recommend Macs for gaming, and that's about all I dont do with a Mac.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Like I've said before, the problem with PC's isn't the system, it's the op system(microsoft). If you have a PC and use a different op system chances are it'll run as good as a Mac but Windows sucks, period.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#16]
How long does the grey circle thingy spin? Sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes on first boot when using a older Mac, after that you can cold boot in less then a minute
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Mac users unite...

; )

jim

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!!!

NsB
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL, I love it deimos.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Daaamn, I need that as a desktop at work.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
People who don't like Mac's have never used a Mac. I put up with crap from my PC for 3 years until one day I said "no more of this, I'm going to try a Mac." well, I've never been happier.  Finally, a computer that works for a change.  I've not had to reload my op system a single time and I've had my iMac for almost 2 years now.  With my PC I had to totally reformat and reload the op system (windows 98) about every six months to keep the system from locking up all the time.  I'm sure that a PC running Linux would be cool but anything made by microsoft is just pure junk, plain and simple.  I can't stand Bill Gates, he has too much money and doesn't care about his customers because everytime a new op system is put out by microsoft a butt load of patches and fixes have to be installed to fix his shoddy op system.  Hack on Macs if ya'll want too, I love mine and will never own another PC. Life is just too easy with my iMac.

Wrong, I used Macs forever (not forever but like 4 months so close enough) and they are crap for anything but pre-press work. They are also insanely hard to develop applications for and the fact that the hardware is all proprietary turns people off. Not to mention they cost twice as much as anything that runs on a i386 architecture. It's a CISC world baby!

Communist

By the way, iMacs arent even real computers, I mean, they dont have a floppy drive or a tower.

Oh yeah I also need to include a pic.

Can you feel the Apple hate? CAN YOU!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Shut up you moocher!

NsB

Go guess some knives and win a membership!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#22]
PC running Linux.

-Cheaper hardware (competition)
-Cheaper OS
-Tons of freely available programs
-never crashes )easily obtain uptimes over a month, except when power company doesn't cooperate)
-easy upgrades (rarely need to re-boot after updating)
-People won't mess with your properly configured computer, since it looks so scary!!
-can be made to look like XP, or OSX (for your preference)

edit: sorry, nothing constructive to add.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Shut up you moocher!

NsB

Go guess some knives and win a membership!

I dont know anything about knives!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
PC running Linux.

-Cheaper OS
-Tons of freely available programs
-never crashes )easily obtain uptimes over a month, except when power company doesn't cooperate)
-easy upgrades (rarely need to re-boot after updating)
-People won't mess with your properly configured computer, since it looks so scary!!
-can be made to look like XP, or OSX (for your preference)

edit: sorry, nothing constructive to add.

THE WINNER!

Also, people really wont mess with it if you turn off the GUI.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Why in heck would I want a 1.33M floppy, that's not enough storage for anything usefull.  I've got a Zip drive hooked up to my USB port, almost 100M of storage and not much bigger then a floppy.  Also, I'm not saying that having money is bad, I'm not even saying that having too much money is bad but when you've got as much as Gates you sure as hell could charge less for a new op system then microsoft does.  OS X was just a tad over $100 bucks when it came out, Windows XP was what, $300 bucks?  And what are you talking about with the i386 crap, didn't that go out in the mid 80's.  Heck, a P3 is a i586. Either way the new G5 will make all the intel chips look like slugs.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Macs have their place...

MacOS 1-9 sucked ass...

OSX made them just another UNIX workstation...

And they're still easier for SOME people to figure out than PCs... Getting my mom to buy a mac has ended the 'Hey, come over and fix my computer', and reduced the 'I can't figure this out' type problems...

As for floppy drives, my PC doesn't have one of those obselete POSes either... Neither do new laptops that comply with Intel's 'Centrino' spec... I've lost more data to floppies than I care to think about, so I just chucked the floppy drive and either e-mail my data to myself, or post it to the web/ftp (password protected, of course)... Besides, what can you fit in 1.44MB? Not much of note...

Floppies will be gone from PCs soon too, Apple just saw it coming before the PC people (and floppies were yanked from ALL macs, not just iMacs)...

When you buy a Mac, you buy a system. They just 'work' because Apple has the final say about what is allowed to touch their hardware. It costs more, but for certain types of people (the type who think the 'tower' of a PC is a modem, and who plug their PS/2 keyboard into the 'mouse' port) it's worth it. No viruses (for OSX, anyhow), or e-mail worms, too...

PCs, (especially mass market units) on the other hand, are just a computer. No 'system', just parts in a box, running operating software designed by someone else who has only a partial idea of how the system works. PCs are great in environments where you either (a) know how to do proper maintanance yourself, or (b) can hire someone to 'take care' of the computer.

I work with PCs primarily, but I encounter people every day who would be better off with a Mac. Of course, the fact that they own PCs keeps me & mine in business fixing their screwups (WHY, OH WHY, did you click on that e-mail attachment that said 'Funny Story.eml.exe'???. 90 bucks please, and we'll have your PC all cleaned up in about 3-5 days.)
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
People who don't like Mac's have never used a Mac.  

wrong, i've used mac's for the past 3 years, and they are overpriced, dumb downed, inferior, crap
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
OS X was just a tad over $100 bucks when it came out, Windows XP was what, $300 bucks?    

wrong, i bought Xp right after it came out for $105
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Mac is a system thats going to be out of date in the next decade.

They've lost the PC war. The software available to the PC doesn't even compare to the software thats available on the PC.

If the Mac was all so important, how come its not widely used?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#30]
With regards to the person who said "People who don't like Mac's have never used a Mac. "

I have used Macs for along time. I don't use them anymore, because I don't have to.

People have seen the light. ;)
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Mac users unite...

; )

jim

I can't afford not to use Macs....I work in Video with Final Cut Pro.  LOVE MACS.  Of course, I do business and play games on a PC, that's about all they're good for....

;)
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Why in heck would I want a 1.33M floppy, that's not enough storage for anything usefull.

It's called humour man, humour. Like funny, haha.

I've got a Zip drive hooked up to my USB port, almost 100M of storage and not much bigger then a floppy.

Who doesnt, besides me. lol.

Also, I'm not saying that having money is bad, I'm not even saying that having too much money is bad but when you've got as much as Gates you sure as hell could charge less for a new op system then microsoft does.

Communist!

OS X was just a tad over $100 bucks when it came out, Windows XP was what, $300 bucks?

Wrong, try like $105. Never pay the MSRP.

And what are you talking about with the i386 crap, didn't that go out in the mid 80's. Heck, a P3 is a i586.

Alot of programs are backwards compliant.

Either way the new G5 will make all the intel chips look like slugs.

CISC > RISC

Quoted:
<cut>

I can summarize your entire post into one sentence, "Some people are to stupid to use computers."
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Thats what an IT geek told me nearly 10 years ago!  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what an IT geek told me 10 years ago!  

Macs will be around until someone makes something just as cute and stupid.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what an IT geek told me 10 years ago!  

Macs will be around until someone makes something just as cute and stupid.

Your parents failed on the 'cute' part!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
PC running Linux.

-Cheaper OS technically written by the lowest bidders hahah

-Tons of freely available programs all commercial quality! (not)

-never crashes easily obtain uptimes over a month, except when power company doesn't cooperate)  Oh I'm suuuuure I've just imagined that message that says "Kernel Panic"

-easy upgrades (rarely need to re-boot after updating) Just don't screw anything up, or you'll be wading through megabytes of "readme" files written by nerdy programmers who write about everything except how to fix the damn thing!

-People won't mess with your properly configured computer, since it looks so scary!! Ya, that's true!

-can be made to look like XP, or OSX (for your preference) My computer looks like XP, but also runs nice software.. because it is XP

edit: sorry, nothing constructive to add. me neither!

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#38]
How can any red-blooded American like Macs?  Think about what would happen to the economy if everyone used Macs!  Think about all the IT support people who would be unemployed!  It would be devastating.

BAN MACS!!!  For goodness sake, do it for the future IT workers.  Right now they are just sweet little children.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#39]
The Mac Experience

Works now!  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
How can any red-blooded American like Macs?  Think about what would happen to the economy if everyone used Macs!  Think about all the IT support people who would be unemployed!  It would be devastating.

BAN MACS!!!  For goodness sake, do it for the future IT workers.  Right now they are just sweet little children.

I agree.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#41]
What version of X are you running? Start the machine up and hold down the shift key, this starts X up in safe mode,(nothing but what the system needs to start will load) if this works, you have a problem with one of your prefrence files or a program that starts at launch. If the issue still persists start up off your X cd and use the disk utility to check the drive for problems and to check disk permissions, or if you have a Nortons disk or a copy of Disk Warrior boot off either one of those cds and let them have a look at your hard drive.  IF none of this works, boot off your OS9 cd, go to control panels and change your start up disk back to OS 9 backup your data and do an archive and install of OSX, this should save all your user data andd applications in X but if your X install is hosed its your best option to get back on with life.  

Hope this helps.

PS I fix Macs for a living
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Booting off the OS9 cd didnt work. tyranid i'll give yours a shot.I have a problem though,how do I get the OS9.2 cd out of the drive?It is a G3 600MHZ 256RAM Graphite model.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Don't these iMacs have a reset button that you can access on the side.  Look in the manual and see if this could help.  Usually need a paper clip.  It's the top one, the bottom is a programmer or interrupt.

http://www.artsit.usyd.edu.au/labguides/CL3/iMacS/start_iMac.html

There's also a thing about holding down the power key for 5 seconds.   Even if these don't work, I don't think they will hurt.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#44]
nightstalker I have tried the reset  and power buttons.I still get the grey screen where I assume OSX is trying to boot.I just need to get the OS9 disk out so I can try the OS X disk.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#45]
when the OS 9 cd is in the drive reboot and hold down the C key, that should work.  If you want to remove the disk from the drive reboot and hold down the mouse button, that should eject the CD
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I did hold down the C key nto boot to the disk.When I get to work Monday I will try yhe mouse to get my Disk out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Is it just a grey screen? Is there anything else on the screen at all?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#48]
it's kind of ironic that apples RISC based processors were developed by IBM.

mike
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Occasionally my older mac would put up a monitor icon with a ? in it.  Then sometimes it would change to a happy mac and boot and other times it would need a restart.  I take it you're not getting this icon which leads me to believe it's looking for OSX and getting a corrupted startup file of some sort.

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Is it just a grey screen? Is there anything else on the screen at all?

Would that be the GREY SCREEN OF DEATH?

mike
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top