Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 1:18:10 PM EDT
Well can I, or is it some sort of disrespect to the military, a la that camo that starts with an M and ends in ARPAT?

before someone gets pissed, this is half joking... but only half. How far do some of you take the whole "military symbols= disrespect to serving military"?

I'm not a mall ninja who tries to pass himself off as HS/LD, btw. I'm a high school student who's going to either enlist in the Marines or enroll in an officer training program after graduation.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have big ears?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd wait for summer, but if you want to try the haircut on, take 'er for a spin as they say, well, then why the fuck not?

As far as getting one, and then wearing *ARPAT around town - well, yeah - then you'd be a douchebag.

Edited to add: that I was not in the USMC.
...I tried to enlist but I had an IQ over 85...

...so they sent me to the Navy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol, my little brother has one. It's not really on purpose though, started as a bad brush cut that ended up getting shaved on the sides.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont see why you would not be permitted to get one.

I get a high and tight EVERY 2 weeks. Been out of the military for over a year now.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're fat or have big fucking dumbo ears you shouldn't wear a flat top. In the first case, you'll look like a rental cop, in the second case, you'll look like a dweeb.

And if you show up at Marine boot with a high and tight the DI will light you up...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The question isn't so much "can" you as it is "should" you. Personally, because of a certain facial feature (alright it's my nose dammit) I look like a large predatory bird with one. I was a Marine when I was a li'l chil'en.

p.s. The purpose of the Corps is to separate the men from the boys in the Navy - with a crowbar.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
You can cut you hair any way you like.  I don't wear a high and tight but folks peg me as military all the time. No I don't wear that funny camo either, I'm Navy and far as I can tell, dungarees are not appealing to the civilian market  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Dolomite- I have never intentionally given the impression that I am a Marine. I own 1 set of woodland camo that is used  exclusively[/] for paintball, airsoft, and games like that, and thats it. No other military clothing.

Whether or not people see me and peg me as some sort of military without speaking to me is not my concern. If they get and act on a wrong assumption, it's on them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
cut your hair anyway you like, wear marpat, and an M-65 field jacket.

WHO CARES???????

don't forget the BUD's/SEAL instructor t-shirt too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell, I can't believe it would be an issue.
Just stay away from the Kentucky Waterfall.

-HS
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you're fat or have big fucking dumbo ears you shouldn't wear a flat top. In the first case, you'll look like a rental cop, in the second case, you'll look like a dweeb.

So that's why girls don't like me...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I wore a high and tight all last year while activated with my reserve unit. I had the opprtunity midyear to go Marine Corps Regs and did so. As a Navy Doc I did everything else with them, why not dress like them too. Got my entire uniform issue, and my unit failed to put it in my record. Then they told me I wasn't Marine Corps regs. I asked them nicely/respectfully to fix it, they didn't, so I grew my hair to Navy Regs, a few inches of loft, sideburns. They still failed to change it. It was kind of nice to walk around an not be pegged for military. I didn't have all my gear in bags emblazoned with my branche's logo all over it, as many did. The seabag was not my "luggage" as many chose it to be. With all the time I spent in airports, OPSEC just seemed to be the smarter move in the event driven terrorist awareness climate of last year.

But it made my Gunny mad. That was kind of worth it.

It's not the haircut that gets people cranky, wear whatever you want.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
a crew cut with "white walls" would look more
appropriate and stylish for your age.

a high & tight looks great as long as your not
fat, lots of atheletes have a high & tight too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wore a high and tight all last year while activated with my reserve unit. I had the opprtunity midyear to go Marine Corps Regs and did so. As a Navy Doc I did everything else with them, why not dress like them too. Got my entire uniform issue, and my unit failed to put it in my record. Then they told me I wasn't Marine Corps regs. I asked them nicely/respectfully to fix it, they didn't, so I grew my hair to Navy Regs, a few inches of loft, sideburns. They still failed to change it. It was kind of nice to walk around an not be pegged for military. I didn't have all my gear in bags emblazoned with my branche's logo all over it, as many did. The seabag was not my "luggage" as many chose it to be. With all the time I spent in airports, OPSEC just seemed to be the smarter move in the event driven terrorist awareness climate of last year.

You HM?  FMF?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I own 1 set of woodland camo that is used exclusively for paintball, airsoft, and games like that...

Airsoft, eh?  Well then I wouldn't worry about intelligent people confusing you with the real deal then.

Whether or not people see me and peg me as some sort of military without speaking to me is not my concern. If they get and act on a wrong assumption, it's on them.

And I quite agree - You should really feel free to do what you want.  I really like buzz cuts myself - but in up in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin - I limit them to the summer - that's all I'm sayin'
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#18]
in the navy we were told we cant get high and tight(mentions it specifically)...its called a "faddish" haircut...kinda weird eh?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Heh - One of my best friends who is black used to shave his head. One time a Senior Chief told him that shaving his head was faddish and told him to grow his hair.
He had the baddest afro going after 6 months. I think by the time that Senior Chief transfered his fro was 4 inches when it was not greased down.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#20]
lol!

i shave my head sometimes, but certain aholes will give ya shit for it
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#21]
If any panty waste gives you shit over a haircut, or a jacket, or cammies, tell them this,
"You fucking NAZI, it's my body, it's my choice!"
I'm not sure, but I think the Marine Corps didn't INVENT the H+T, did it? Hair cuts have been around longer than the military though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Back when I was in my salad years, rednecks used to give psuedo intellectual, long haired hippie communist freaks straight-razor haircuts!

What goes around, comes around.

Show up in my neighborhood with a high and tight, and I'll get a posse together to super glue a long haired wig atop your bald little pointed skull, sonny.

Wear what you want.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]
i get asked all the time what branch i'm in b/c of my haircut
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I get a buzz cut about every two months.  I do it myself because I hate  combing my hair.  I am also VERY fond of wearing black BDU's and on occassion green and camo BDU's.  I have never been in the military regardless of mwhat my AR15.com name may suggest.

SO in short...I will wear any damn thing I want at anytime I want!!

No disrespect mention, but to hell with any military guy that has a problem with it!!

I paid for it so I am wearing it!!

SGtar15

PS  <------see avatar, that is me and I am NOT fat.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#25]
lots of gangstas and wannabees around here wear high and tight or similars.  

No reason you can't too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried to cut mine that way, didnt come out well.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You HM?  FMF?

Yes I am.

HM3(FMF) Sherman
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#28]
is that the haircut al pachino used in Heat?

Taxman=self inflicted haircut wound...

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#29]
No problem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#30]
If you get a "high & tight" you must behave like a Marine, no earrings and no nose piercings, some people might mistake you for a
off duty Marine and it would look bad for the
Marine Corps image.

Ive seen a few "punk rocker" types with "high & tights" too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yeah, I think I lost my ride in the USMC when they handed me a K-Bar knife and said, "You see that tank over there? KILL IT!" and I looked at them all funny....

As for the HAT, I don't think anyone will care, provided you don't try to pass yourself off as a Marine if you're not. You likely WILL be asked, however.

To my USMC brothers-in-arms: Semper Fi, guys. All joking aside, I wish I had joined with you guys...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'd wait for summer, but if you want to try the haircut on, take 'er for a spin as they say, well, then why the fuck not?

As far as getting one, and then wearing *ARPAT around town - well, yeah - then you'd be a douchebag.

Edited to add: that I was not in the USMC.

ROFLMAO! Haze Gray and Underway Shipmate! Bravo Zulu!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Joe
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Last time I looked a H&T was just a hair cut and not a uniform to designated its wearer of certain government status.  I didn't know there were any rites of passage associated with it?

When I see someone with a high and tight I automatically don't think military, when I see someone in a military uniform I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top