Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 9:52:27 AM EDT
Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson acts to save flagging career- takes size 15 foot out of mouth....

www.jethrotull.com/news/starsandstripes.cfm11/14/03
Stars, Stripes, and Union Jacks

I’m a traveling guy: Old Europe, New Europe, USA, Asia, and a few more places coming up in the next months.

A few weeks ago, back in England after tours across Europe and the USA in the summer, I was struck and angrily depressed by coming face to face with the sharply falling regard shown to America and the UK by many other nations of the world.

In an interview with a US newspaper, I expressed my concerns regarding the “flag-waving” mind-set - not only of some Americans - but across the world.

I now regret the tone of these statements and offer my belated apologies to those offended by any perceived slur on the Stars and Stripes. I really didn’t understand - even after 35 years of visiting the USA on a regular basis - that this symbol had such fierce resonance for so many people as is now apparent to me.

While I can’t support the international policies of either the current US administration or the UK government, I will always stand up to defend the honour and integrity of the American people, anytime, anywhere and in the face of anyone’s criticism.

They don’t deserve the anti-US views being increasingly voiced across the globe. As I believe I said in the interview concerned, the natural warmth, hospitality, and generosity of Americans is their great asset and the sad fact that many US citizens feel unable to travel abroad as a result of imagined or real fear of resentment from foreigners is, I think, an increasing factor in US isolation, in world terms.

No, I don’t know what the answer is: there can be no quick fix. I would still encourage Americans to visit abroad and be good ambassadors for their country. There are a few hotheads everywhere and I feel intimidated too in some places just through being British and therefore seen as an ally of the US. But music is a healer. My traveling, meeting, performing to and talking with folks in different regions and from other cultures is, for me, and I hope for them, a positive thing.

Anyway, I was out of line on the flag thing and I am sorry for it. I know I have forever lost some American friends as a result.

(snip)

No shit, Sherlock- what's the clue?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe he could set up a tour with the Dixie Chicks, they could call it the Talk trash tour.

To little to late, in order to save his carearend from getting fiscaly kicked.
To all those who hate America, I wish you goodbye, & good ridance!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top