Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 2:20:30 AM EDT
Can you walk into the CMP store at Camp Perry and buy an M1 Garand? If so does that mean you don't have to worry about the qualifications for ordering one? Is it just like going to a regular gun store?

I don't have time to "join a club" I'll never go to or go to some "match" and shoot when I have no clue what I am doing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you have to be a CMP "member" (for lack of a better term) even if you go the store.

Don't fret about the matches! Just go to a CMP clinic. They let you use an M1, show you the ropes (which is actually pretty easy), and it's alot of fun. Very informal. Then, all you have to be is a member of an affiliated club to join. Most states have a rifle collecting club or an M1 Garand club. If you're going to buy an M1, I'd imagine you'd probably want to belong too!

Don't let the regs keep you out of it, it's worth doing and it's not a deal where you have to be some competitive marksman or even a "joiner" to get into it. I balked at first too but after getting in, I am mad that I waited so long to do it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have an interest in CMP as a group then just goto a gun show and buy a CMP rifle that someone sold. They demand a premium but that's because people just want the rifles not the hassle of getting one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't see going through the CMP qualifications as a "hassle."  Let's see.  Join the Garand Collectors Association.  Then I HAVE to shoot in a Highpower match!  The horror, the horror!

You don't even have to hit the target.  All the CMP cares about is the rounds (and it's only 50 rounds, I believe) have to go downrange.  Just go do it.

Or, you can pay an extra 300-400 dollars for someone ELSE's CMP rifle.  Yeah, it's worth it...not.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The real quandy is one rifle won't satisfy you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the rifle thing like a one time deal or can someone buy multiple rifles at such great prices?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
A guy I know from down here took a  roadtrip up to Camp Perry and bought one. He was able to join a CMP type affiliation right on the spot for an extra $25 or so IIRC. In other words, the affiliation requirement can be taken care of right there in the store for a few $$$ more (I don't recall exactly what organization it was he joined). He is retired military so the DD-214 was sufficient for the marksmanship end of it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#10]
So what's the deal with the 1903s? I done a search here and found a few threads. No one had anything good to say about them. I would love to have one but are they so trashed that they are not worth $400?

I also found quite a few threads on the Garand. I see a lot of guys got ones redone in the 60s that looking new. What # should I look for and can you request it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#11]
The 1903's are old guns, some are in great shape, some are in rough shape.  The main gripe I hear is that the things are absolutely COATED in cosmoline or similar grease.  That's easily taken care of with some basic solvents (Mineral spirits) and a little elbow grease.)

M1's come in various grades ranging from rack grade (you'll be needing a new barrel if you shoot it a lot) to Service Grade (serviceable barrel will last several thousand rounds before needing replacement).  Service grade wood is in generally better condition than rack grade wood, but the rack grade wood is susually serviceable and CMP will replace it if it's not.

Late numbered SA inc. and all Harrington Richardson rifles (HRA) are Korean War period rifles and later rebuilds and may well be in the best condition.  There is a large load of Greek return M1's that are currently being processed in between loads of US rifles.  CMP hasn't decided how they will be marketed, but reports coming back indicate a lot of NEW condition rifles in that pile as well as some beaters, NM grade rifles and M1D and M1C sniper variants. Should be a treasure trove.  They won't be released until next Spring or Summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top