Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 1:25:59 AM EDT
This seems like a cool long term project that I can spread my limited gun purchase $  $   $  $  over the course of the next year(spreading it out lessens the wife reaction factor on a $1500+ rifle).  I have been reading good things about these LRB recievers over on Battlerifles.com.  They are pricey but the reports seem to be very consistant unlike every other manufacturers reviews out there.  I figure I can start buying USGI parts after the holidays and when I have them all I can get a reciever and send everything to a competent 'smith and be good to go?

So what do I need?

The obvious:
Trigger group
Op Rod
Barrel(sources for NIW USGI or aftermarket?)
Sights(interchangable with the Garand?)
Stock(I prefer walnut vs. synthetic)

What else?

TIA

P.S.  Sorry about being in the wrong forum but this one is more active.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:09:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Go here: www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=6

and here: The M14/M1A Firing Line(better than Battlerifles)server.w3geek.com/~Hawk7173/index.php

You'll find all the answers you need.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So what do I need?
The obvious:
Trigger group
Op Rod
What else?

To answer some questions: USGI bolt and NM sights, barrels-few USGI around but good aftermarket by Douglas and Krieger.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not build it yourself? It isn't rocket science. You'll need a sturdy workbench, barrel vice, receiver wrench, chamber reamer and go/no-go gages (all can be found at Brownells or Midwayusa) for less than the cost of a smith. Use Scott Duff's book as a how to manual.

US Armory in N.C sells kits
Brownells, Kreiger and Fulton Armory sells barrels
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why not build it yourself? It isn't rocket science. You'll need a sturdy workbench, barrel vice, receiver wrench, chamber reamer and go/no-go gages (all can be found at Brownells or Midwayusa) for less than the cost of a smith. Use Scott Duff's book as a how to manual.

Read his post again and you will find that is exactly what he is planning to do!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This seems like a cool long term project that I can spread my limited gun purchase $  $   $  $  over the course of the next year(spreading it out lessens the wife reaction factor on a $1500+ rifle).  I have been reading good things about these LRB recievers over on Battlerifles.com.  They are pricey but the reports seem to be very consistant unlike every other manufacturers reviews out there.  I figure I can start buying USGI parts after the holidays and when I have them all I can get a reciever and send everything to a competent 'smith and be good to go?

So what do I need?

The obvious:
Trigger group
Op Rod

What else?

TIA

P.S.  Sorry about being in the wrong forum but this one is more active.

you can get the op rod and trigger group from the cmp cheaper than anywhere else, if you're a member of an affiliated club. You can get the stock and handguards from fredsm14stocks. You'll also need an op rod guide, gas cylinder, piston, lock and plug. BTW, I would get the lrb reciever already assembled with a bolt and barrel, that would make things much easier. You can get it that way from fulton.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#6]
BTT for later reading.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're going the straight 'as issued' route, try finding a SAK (SAC?) barrel.

try getting ahold of Jack Frieze from Armscorp in MD. I think he may have a couple in stock.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest the ARMSCORP reciever.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, this is picking up steam in my head.  I'm figuring the LRB barreled setup and getting the trigger group and oprod from CMP.  Looks like the remainder of parts I can get from eBay or other sources.  Sounds to me I can spend the winter getting the parts and in the spring get the barreled reciever and just assemble everything.  I do think I could install a barrel and headspace it with a manual and tools but I don't have a shop to work in nor do I want to buy tools I will most likely use only once.  

So it begins, my journey into the realm of the M14/M1A.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm marking this thread for later.

I want to build up a M1A Bush Rifle and this is good info.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read his post again and you will find that is exactly what he is planning to do!

Bob

He said he was going to buy parts and send them to a smith. My point is that with patience, he can do as good a job as a smith, for less $s and without a 6 month wait.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
In my haste I didn't see the barreled reciever option from LRB, I will go that route so i can get on the range ASAP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top