Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 7:16:38 PM EDT
What is the most awe inspiring sight you have witnessed?

Mine was when Mt. St. Helens blew it's top here in Washington State. I was only 10 years old and about 200 miles from it when it blew. The sky turned black at 4:00 in the afternoon and ash started falling. It was something I will never forget.

What was yours?

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Real, in use, current North Korean fighter jets 100 feet away from me.

The planes it self wasn’t impressive. Just the fact that I was an American next to 100% unfriendly enemy aircraft.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the destruction caused by the recent San Diego fires. I saw some mind-boggling stuff while I was working in the areas that had been hit hard.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
St. Peter's Basillica, all the Vatican actually.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife.

Too bad she doesn't read this website, that should be good for a few points.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Washington National Cathedral

Constructed primarily of Indiana limestone.

It's the cathedral that provides a separate pulpit for the President to speak.

For a little perspective, you could take the Washington Monument, lay it on its side, and it would fit inside the cathedral for room to spare.

It is entirely self-supported through donations and contributions.  It receives not one penny from the government.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Neil Armstrong stepping onto the moon in real-time, crappy video and all. WTC one week after 9/11 is a close second.

CW
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is the most awe inspiring sight you have witnessed?

My first AR  

Seriously?

A toss up between the northern lights and walking around in the AirForce Museum at WPAFB.

I've loved aircraft since I was about, oh, 2 years old, and having the chance to see so many great planes in person was great.

But, You don't get to see the northern lights that often in MO, so that ranks highly as well.

-FOTBR
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
the most impresive thing ive ever seen? the city of kirkuk, (yes, really the whole city)on fire, air black with smoke kurds raising their flag over the airport control tower (the kurd who did this did it under fire)
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
USS Missouri firing main guns.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
You would think that impressive means in relation to sheer size or volume, etc.  My sister contends that although the crashing of aircraft and the subsequent falling of the WTC towers is the most tragic event she ever witnessed it is also the most amazing site at the same time.  For me I have no single event that impresses me beyond others.  When I was a kid I was at an airshow and watched an F4 Phantom do a mach speed flyby, that impressed me but now having worked with and around military aircraft it has become cool but not real "impressive"  I guess commonality has dimished the feeling.  

A tornado would be impressive, as long as nobody got hurt.  So would the impact of a meteor or a nuclear explosion, doubt I would survive either without some degree of injury.

My grandfather contends that the naval armada sent to liberate the Philipines was the most awesome sight he ever witnessed, warships spanning from horizon to horizon and he was right there on a troop transport!

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]

The most impressive thing you have ever seen

Good? Or Bad??

My FIRST thought??  An A-4 pilot bouncing off the round-down in 1966, then bursting into flames, waving his arms around, in flames, while ordnance was cooking off, and we couldn't get to him.......

My second thought???  Watching a flower open.....
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

www.higeorgetown.com/images/cathedral.jpg

www.whitehouse.gov/president/response/images/04-cathedral-address-p7347-15-mi398h.jpg

www.denycegraves.com/images/cathedral2.jpg

For a little perspective, you could take the Washington Monument, lay it on its side, and it would fit inside the cathedral for room to spare.

It is entirely self-supported through donations and contributions.  It receives not one penny from the government.

Surprise, surprise!! J/R posted pics!!  [:D}

That "president" pulpit, is interesting, J/R, do you know what denomination the Cathedral is???

Episcopalian?? Presbyterian??
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
WoW!

Valkyrie stole a bit of my thunder.  Both events happened in Iowa.  

June 9, 1984.  A friend and I watched a massive tornado, lit by a non-stop display of lightning, that was about 5 or more miles from us. This was about 10 o'clock at night.  Totally dark out, except for the very distant lightning. I sort of remember a small roped out twister flopping around next to it, but that might have been adrenaline induced.

Then on an early summer evening, still plenty of light out side, of what might have been 1977 (I would have been ten years old) another friend and I where riding our bikes when suddenly everything around us lit up.  Freaked us out.  A moment or so later some guy on a bike skids to a stop (Very excited) and asks, "did you guys see that!!?? Huge ball of light just streaked across the sky!!!"  Recently I saw a picture in a astronomy book with a chapter on meteors.  There's a picture taken from a boating dock, also in daylight, on a lake in Wyoming of a meteor skipping acoss the atmosphere.  Person who took it just happened to be snapping a photo when it streaked across the sky.  This photo was taken about the same time, same year that Steve and I saw that bright flash.  I'd bet my $5 we saw the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#14]
The Ronald Reagan test range. RMI
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
the birth of my first child.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Gen Chuck Yeager taking a personal moment before the exhibits opened to the public, touching a Mercury Space Capsule. He stood there for a few moments then he saw me watching, smiled, and moved on. Choked me up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
No doubt, it was seeing my son being born, gives you a whole new look on life!...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Steven Spielberg
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Back in 1972, in the Central Higlands of Vietnam, doing gun-runs over the city of Kontum at 02:00 while a battle raged on the ground. Two thirds of the city was on fire.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No doubt, it was seeing my son being born, gives you a whole new look on life!...

I agree. For me, seeing my son being born was a spiritual experience - I'm not the same person I was before that moment, and I never want to be that person again.

For reasons I won't go into here, my son's birth proved to me that life is a spiritual continuum - from conception to birth to death and afterwards we are more spirit than body. That probably makes no sense to anyone but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Another life-changing experience was seeing my brother-in-law "give up the ghost".

Long illness, ended up in a coma and slowly going downhill.

After two days in a complete coma, no drugs, no responses, heart getting weaker and with a round-the-clock vigil by our family - my sister (his wife) came in and kissed him and told him it was okay to go.

Less than a minute later he did.

There's more to life than what we can see and we have more control over our lives than we can imagine.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.higeorgetown.com/images/cathedral.jpg

www.whitehouse.gov/president/response/images/04-cathedral-address-p7347-15-mi398h.jpg

www.denycegraves.com/images/cathedral2.jpg

Surprise, surprise!! J/R posted pics!!  [:D}

That "president" pulpit, is interesting, J/R, do you know what denomination the Cathedral is???

Episcopalian?? Presbyterian??

It is Episcopalian, though services by all religions are routinely held there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Shaquille O'neal
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#23]
My grandfather's funeral at Arlington last year.  He was a B-24 pilot in WWII.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Shaquille O'neal

You gotta be kiddin. If not, your life is very shallow.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#25]
YES...this is MINE!!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#26]
All three of my children everytime they walk by. To think that I, had anything to do with such amazing kids, is, well incredibale.

On a side note to Cableman, Mt St Helens is an event that I will never forget. I was in fact 9, and was at my grandmothers in Troutdale, OR, right accross the Columbia River from the mountain. I remember how smll I felt that day. THe worst part, was my father was climbing with a friend up near the mountain, and we did not know exactly where. It was the longest 7 hours of my life. Luckly he was on the opposite side that it blew, but only 20 miles away. He and his buddy had just barely made the top of the rock when it erupted. It took them 7 hours to get back to us. Then to top it off, my oldest daughters bday is on May 18, nice little reminder every year.

CH
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
YES...this is MINE!!!
www.thecarolinabelles.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=984

FYI you're gonna get locked.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#28]
The picture of where stars are born thanks to the Hubble telescope.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
FYI you're gonna get locked.

For posting a Lovely picture of my beloved wife?

Gee.....good thing I didn't post something "outrageous" over at the WHAT MUSIC DO YOU LIKE TO WATCH STRIPPERS WITH? thread.

We gotta have our standards don't we?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Ditto on the kids thing...if you do not have kids then it is impossible to explain in words...probably the only really life altering experience ever.

Second place would have to go to Hurricane Andrew....looking outside and seeing the winds and rain, knowing that it would destroy everything in its path, and there was not a damn thing ANYBODY in the world could do about it...just hope you make it through...talk about feeling insignifant in this world!

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#31]
This...

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I once saw a man from Tennessee shoot a flying bird at 300yds.  He was using a blackpowder rifle with sabots and 270gr of powder.  He could do this consistently.

He could also pic up any rifle and handgun and be dead on with the first shot.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#33]

TEN_REB sure is good for a laugh.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes, I would have to say my kids being born would be it for me also. It puts everything into perspective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top