Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 6:54:03 PM EDT
How do you guys tighten down the bolts on your precision rifle.

I don't have a torque wrench so I guess I'm looking for some "by feel" specs if that is possible.

The bolts and screws holding the stock and action together.  Mine are about as tight as I can get while using the long part of the allen key doing the turning.  In other words,  I am not using the leverage I could get by inserting the short end of the allen key in the bolt.  I tightened it until my fingers started to hurt.

What about the scope rings?  How tight should these be?  I have mine as tight as I can get using the same end of of the allen key as described above.  

How tight do the bolts that hold down the bases get tightened?  I have mine about as tight as they will go with lock tite on there too.

Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to your local SEARS, and spend the money to get a torque wrench. They have beam-type wrenches for <$30. If you own a precision rifle, there's no excuse to not own one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#2]
For something this important, I suggest you spend a little cash and get that torque wrench.  Don't even come near my precison rifle without one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#3]
And get one that measures inch-pounds, not foot-pounds.

Action: 55 - 65 inch pounds
Scope Rings: depends on type, 35 - 45 inch pounds
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, YOUR torque values may NOT be as posted by others. ALL rifles have a torque value but all manufactures do not use the ssame values. For example, a Remington 700 PSS with an aluminum trigger guard should only be torqued to 45 inch pounds where one with a steel guard has a value of 65 inch pounds. And then one with a detachable magazine with an aluminum guard goes to 55 inch pounds. It is as critical as torquing the heads on your car or truck!
So, if you want info, what are you "driving"? We really can't tell you what your specs are until you tell us what you have.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Actually, YOUR torque values may NOT be as posted by others. ALL rifles have a torque value but all manufactures do not use the ssame values. For example, a Remington 700 PSS with an aluminum trigger guard should only be torqued to 45 inch pounds where one with a steel guard has a value of 65 inch pounds. And then one with a detachable magazine with an aluminum guard goes to 55 inch pounds. It is as critical as torquing the heads on your car or truck!
So, if you want info, what are you "driving"? We really can't tell you what your specs are until you tell us what you have.

Savage 10fp with accutrigger.

I am going to get the torque wrench today from Sears.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, 45 inch pounds for front and rear screws:
remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/remington.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=3yOupGYg&p_lva=&p_faqid=15&p_created=956028559&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD10b3JxdWUmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

As to the scope mount screws, I tighten them tight and locktite 'em.

Mike

oops, sorry but Savage does not have such a link on their site and it took so long to find the Remington info others already posted I missed your rifle info......
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FWIW, 45 inch pounds for front and rear screws:
remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/remington.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=3yOupGYg&p_lva=&p_faqid=15&p_created=956028559&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD10b3JxdWUmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

As to the scope mount screws, I tighten them tight and locktite 'em.

Mike

Do you locktite the ring screws too or just the base mount hardware???
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#8]
On my precision rifle I locktite both, 'cus I want everything to stay put and don't expect to be swapping these items around.

FWIW, I level the scope to the action, using "string levels" from the hardware store (I like the alum. Stanleys and clip the string holder off) then after I have screws down snug and KNOW scope is level with action, I replace and locktite them one at a time and tighten them down.

Mike

PS - my gunsmith doesn't do this but then he swaps his scopes to customer rifles all the time to assure himself that his work is good and then has the customer install his own scope, or charges to do it for them if they provide their own scope. In this case he uses the locktite. (NOTE: always use the proper hex head or proper fitting screw driver blade width to prevent damage to screws that have been locktite'd down, should the time come you need to make a change)  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#9]

The bolts and screws holding the stock and action together

The amount of torque is not that important, what is important is that it be the same all the time for accuracy, if you sight it in at xx amount of torque, disasemble it and tighten it at a different xx amount of torque it will affect your point of impact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top