Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 3:13:11 PM EDT
Can Norton Antivirus be configured to detect data miner files placed on your computer. I run Ad-Aware to detect the files once they are on there, but I would like to have something to prevent them from getting on my drive.

Any Suggestions?.....Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... Learn to simply close the window (click the X button in the top right-hand corner or use ALT-F4), and you'll never have to worry about it. ...

I guess I’m doing something wrong.  I always click the “X” box and I still get over a dozen data miners every day!!  

Incidentally, Retched_Rick you might also want to get and use Spybot Search and Destroy.  It finds some data miners that Adware misses - and vice versa.  (I sometimes wonder if there are any that they both miss!)
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Spybot works pretty well, especially on the stuff you get from "legit" sites like CNN or whatever.  The "immunize" feature does a little proactive work blocking stuff like you want, and if you know what's what, you can edit the task list for startup and whatnot, really clean the machie up good (Spybot caught a LOAD of junk that came pre-installed on this Compaq from the factory).  As for configging an AV software to do it, don't think that's possible.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Try SpyBot instead of AdAware...

It has an 'immunize' option that auto-blocks dataminers...

Norton is useless against spyware... It's a virus scanner, not a spyware blocker...

Spyware SHOULDN'T self install, but it does...

Not everyone operates within the jurisdiction of the FCC, and 'ethics' is a 'yah, we've heard of that' thing when it comes to internet marketing...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top