Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 2:43:21 PM EDT
Can anyone help me out with some info on the Cobray type pistols. I am looking at getting one of these for a fun gun. Are these things just junk? Does anyone here own one? I dont know anything about them and have never handled one so any info you can give me would be great...And always pics are good

Thanks....
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
dont do it....there addictive but if ya can handle the shakes,n cold sweat....the are fun as hell...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
full-auto? or semi?

if full auto: (thread explaining MAC-10's and M11/9's)

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=174623
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
it would have to be semi...What are the different makers, models? Are there any websites to go to for info...I dont know shit about them...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]
full-auto is only about 2x as much as semi WRT MACs...

If you're gonna get one, get a FA...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
full-auto is only about 2x as much as semi WRT MACs...

If you're gonna get one, get a FA...

Maybe a couple of years ago, but Tactical Innovations, who were the last guys with a large supply of NIB M11/9's, just recently put out a WTB ad offering to buy NIB ones for $2050.

I half suspect that this is just a ploy to crank up the perceived value just a bit more, but they really are getting nearly that expensive.  Sure, you may find one for cheaper from an individual who's a bit behind on pricing, but I wouldn't expect anything much cheaper advertised online or from a dealer.

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Skip it unless you're going for the Class III version.  They're cheaply made, the ergonomics suck and they can't hit shit.

However, the Class III version makes a very cheap (comparably) bullet hose.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont listen to them, try www.rpbusa.com for new quality post ban macs. RPB is the distributor of MPA macs. Just go to the forums at www.macguns.com and see how many threads on the first two pages are touting the MPA line of semi-macs as awesome.

No trigger slap, improved internal design still compatible with old cobray uppers... Uses cheap $7 32 rnd sten magazines or grease gun mags. Can be purchased with a side charging upper and scope rail, and they even ship now with a fake snap on snap off suppressor.

Very fun post ban mac of very good quality.
Everything CNC machined.

Also the upgrade market is till active with macs. You can buy MP5 style sights for them and all kinds of doohickys.

Mac addicts say you cant go wrong with an MPA Semi mac, its a mac built right.  

This pic makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
MACs are the SKS's of the pistol world. They are cheap and fun to shoot. Go for it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, don't listen to us.

Spend the cash for a semi-auto piece of shiznit and find out for yourself.  Marvel at the complete lack of fit and finish.  Amaze yourself by trying to hit something 10 yards away.  Indulge yourself.

Everybody should have one horrendous firearm experience they can refer to when they're thinking of making another stupid mistake.

AGAIN, the only Cobrays worth it are the Class III.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree, get one or two. Dont mind all of the "Elitist" crap some people here spew. I for one think that anyone showing an interest in a certain gun should be praised not flamed.

That said, you can find a post ban gun for well under $300. You can get a preban for around $500-600. You can also build one for roughly $350 if you have acces to the right welder and posses a small amount of mechanical skills.

These guns are great little plinkers and if you get a sten magwell setup, mags are way cheap.

Next step, get an OLY 9mm upper for your AR, socom block and interchange mags.

CH
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
If you go into it knowing that they are not precision weapons and that they are quite uncomfortable to hold, they are a lot of fun. People who bitch and moan about them, expect them to be something they are not.

They are fun and pretty cheap relatively. If you are looking to do precision work at 25-50 yards (which I am assuming you are not) then don't get these guns.

You can certainly hit something at 10 yards, actually you can hit it without aiming (which is the only real way to shoot these things). If someone misses their target at 10 yards with a PM-11, they can't shoot.

Accept it for what it is and you'll have a great time shooting it.

They are the cheapest class IIIs, they are one of the cheapest in post-ban, hi-cap mags are cheap. They are just a lot of fun, buy one and enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok...I am going to get one...thanks for all of the info and keep the replys and info coming...I can never have to much info. I really wish I could afford class 3 but right now there is no way. I have the skills and tool needed to build one but were can I fine the plains and parts? Cobray has a good looking website but what part kit do I need...it seems the price varrys greatly...I just want a 9mm plinker...If someone has built one of these, tell me what you did...PLEASE.

I want to think everyone for there replys and the information...but keep it coming
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy one first, KY Imports is selling a postban for about $180 get a dealer to do the transfer and you'll be set for less than $250.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#14]
The MPA pistols run about $300.

Nice plinkers, better fit and finish than the 180 dollar leinads/cobrays. Just be shure to check them out before another purchase.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top