Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 12:10:54 PM EDT
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=710&ncid=710&e=5&u=/usatoday/20031117/pl_usatoday/11955051

This just BUGS me.  Your kid is nabbed on something, it's proven false, but his DNA is in a database..?

----------------

FBI may collect juveniles' DNA
Mon Nov 17, 6:44 AM ET  

By Richard Willing, USA TODAY

DNA profiles from hundreds of thousands of juvenile offenders and adults arrested but not convicted of crimes could be added to the FBI (news - web sites)'s national DNA crime-fighting program under a proposed law moving through Congress.

The law, if enacted, would be the greatest single expansion of the federal government's power to collect and use DNA since the FBI's national database was created in 1992. The FBI says its national DNA database holds genetic profiles from about 1.4 million adults convicted of state and federal crimes.

The changes, in a little-noticed section of a bill that would authorize $755 million for DNA testing, were approved by the House of Representatives on Nov. 5. Backers say the Senate is likely to approve a similar version by early next year.

The FBI system works by using computers to match a person's DNA, the cellular acid that contains an individual's unique genetic code, to DNA taken from unsolved state and federal crimes. Using DNA drawn from convicted adults, the system made 8,920 matches through September, the FBI says.

Proponents, including the Bush administration, say that expanding the number of profiles in the database would greatly increase the number of crimes solved. Keeping DNA profiles on file to solve future crimes, they argue, differs little from maintaining a database of fingerprints, which the FBI also does.

The American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) counters that DNA is different because it contains genetic information that should be kept private. Taking a person's DNA before he is even convicted, said ACLU Washington lobbyist Jesselyn McCurdy, "removes the presumption of innocence."

Advocates for juveniles say that giving teenagers what amounts to a "permanent criminal genetic record" defeats the purpose of the juvenile justice system by treating the youths as adults.

"It runs counter to the tenets of juvenile court, which is toward confidentiality and giving a child another opportunity to turn around," said Nancy Gannon of the Coalition for Juvenile Justice, which advises state governments on justice policy.

Thirty states already collect DNA from juvenile offenders, typically ages 13-17, for their own use. In 1998, the most recent year for which statistics are available, 634,000 youths were found responsible for crimes by juvenile courts or other authorities.

Virginia began taking DNA from arrestees in January and expects to collect 8,000 samples this year. Other states are considering arrestee sampling. To date, Virginia has matched DNA taken from arrestees to 40 unsolved crimes, including 11 sexual assaults. But federal laws prevent these samples from being added to the national database and compared to unsolved crimes in other states.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hehe - if you join, be prepared to receive TONS of junk mail from assholes like Amnesty International, Sierra Club, World Widllife Fund, Demoncratic National Convention, Southern Law Poverty Center, etc, etc.

I HATE that - and am considering not renewing my membership this year, since they must have made tons of moeny off me by selling my name to every single left-wing kooky group out there!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
So because of one case you are thinking about joining the raving left wing organization known as the ACLU???

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Dkprof wrote:  I HATE that - and am considering not renewing my membership this year, since they must have made tons of moeny off me by selling my name to every single left-wing kooky group out there!

You are surprised that one left-wing kooky group sold your name to other groups just like themselves???

I hope you don't call yourself a convervative belonging to a fucked up group like the ACLU.  

I JUST DON'T GET THIS.  Do you know some of the shit they try to pull???

I'm guessing you don't support child molestors right.  Well,  the ACLU does,  it's a fact,  they support child molestors like MAN BOY LOVE ASSOCIATION.

HELLO????
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would think about it too, if they had any decent stance on the RKBA!

But as it stands they are 'speechless' when it comes down to the most crucial civil rights of them all!

The right to own and possess a firearm!

Until they clear up that crap, they can save their postage on sending me anything!

Eric The(AndI'mOnTheirAttorneyList)Hun

I know - that's a HUGE disappointment to me as well.

I actually know the ACLU president of a southern state, and have asked him about it - and his response was (a somewhat sheepish) "the ACLU doesn't see the 2nd as an individual right" or something to that effect - and that's their excuse for not supporting it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hope you don't call yourself a convervative belonging to a fucked up group like the ACLU.  

Not sure I need your permission to call myself anything at all.

I JUST DON'T GET THIS.  Do you know some of the shit they try to pull???

Like joining Jerry Fallwell in a lawsuit against the state of Virginia?

Yeah, that kind of shit just has to stop!  

I'm guessing you don't support child molestors right.  Well,  the ACLU does,  it's a fact,  they support child molestors like MAN BOY LOVE ASSOCIATION.

HELLO????

There's a difference between supporting the right of someone to express their views, and supporting those views. Hello???

NOBODY in the ACLU that I know of (or anytone I know for that matter) supports child molestation, and every decent human being should be violently opposed to it.  The fact that these people are the lowest scum of the human race does not mean that they do not have the same inalieble freedoms to express their vile message as everyone else in society does.

I can support the RIGHT of Nazi's or Klansman to have their stupid rallys and make asses of themselves in public - that doesn't mean I'm a Nazi or a Klansmember, nor does it mean I support anything they believe.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]

I wrote:

HELLO????

You wrote:

There's a difference between supporting the right of someone to express their views, and supporting those views. Hello???

No your way wrong here,  CHILD MOLESTORS DON'T HAVE ANY FUCKING RIGHTS.

THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEIR OPINIONS OR VIEWS.

THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE A WEBSITE.

CHILD MOLESTORS HAVE NO FUCKING RIGHTS.

It makes me sick to think a fellow gun owner would defend a group that defends the "rights" of CHILD MOLESTORS.

This is just so twisted words don't even describe it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hehe - if you join, be prepared to receive TONS of junk mail from a******s like Amnesty International, Sierra Club, World Widllife Fund, Demoncratic National Convention, Southern Law Poverty Center, etc, etc...

That's Southern Poverty Law Center - and they care as much about impoverished Southerners as the ACLU does about the civil liberties of conservatives...

Don't even get me started about what a piece of work Morris Dees is.  Their new building looks (appropriately, IMO) for all the world like the Borg mother ship - I work within sight of that Godless monstrosity every day...

edited to add:
For those unfamiliar with the SPLC, these days their reason for being seems to be "Hatewatch," their "hate group" monitoring arm - through which they label any organization with which they don't agree (especially citizen militia groups)as a "hate groups."
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps I should have been clearer.  If we are talking about CONVICTED child molestors, then I agree with you completely.  Frankly, those people should not even be alive, in my book.

However, if you're talking about ACCUSED child molesters, then they definitely have rights.  A whole bunch of them are outlined in the Constitution.  You might be quite interested in those rights if ever an ex-wife or someone were to file a police report against you for child molestation, Hmmmm ?

By the same token, some sick fuck who joins NAMBLA but has never actually molested a child has the same 1st amendement rights as anyone else.  Warped and twisted as that person might be, his THOUGHTS are not a crime.  Do you really want to live in a country where you can be stripped of your rights based on your opinions and thought?  Who gets to decide what those thoughts are that qualify for losing your rights?  President Hillary Clinton, perhaps?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm not a Conservative.  If there's one thing AR15.Com has taught me, it's that I am not a Conservative.

I'm a right-leaning LIBERTARIAN.

You want to speak your mind?  No matter how ridiculous, disgusting, or obscene...  GO TO IT.  (Note that this doesn't guarantee that anyone will listen, nor does it stop repurcussions.)

Want a gun?  Have it it- ANYTHING.  MG's, short barrels...  The Constitution doesn't regulate those.

Pursuit of happiness?  If you want to drug yourself up and make yourself worthless, have fun.  (Just remember personal responsibility- be stupid and deal with the consequences.)

Want to be gay?  Enjoy.  Just stay out of the public view.  Your right to happiness does not supercede mine, and seeing that in public doesn't make me happy.

Want to open an adult business?  So long as you're not forcing anything on anybody, have fun.  CONSENTING ADULT is the key.

Want to worship tree bark as the reincarnation of the nineteenth goddess?  Fine.

The government wants your DNA for a crime you didn't commit?  I don't think so.

Conservatives are just as against rights as liberals.  The two sides only differ on which rights they want to erode.

I believe in the freedom of the individual, the freedom from taxes, and freedom to exersize MY rights.

No UN and foreign intervention in our domestic affairs.

No sex laws for consenting adults

No gun laws for adults

No speech and thought codes.

Rights with responsibilities is what I stand for.  Do as you want, but YOU are responsible for YOUR actions.  Not the government, not your parents, not anyone but YOU.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top