Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 8:48:12 AM EDT
Whil working the sight in at the range this weekend, a guy brought out a custom made pistol based on a Browning bolt action reciever.

The bbl was close to 24", and the stock was like a regular stock, but laminated and only had a pistol grip with a wrap around style like the middle picture here

I thought in order for it to be a pistol, it had to have a bbl length of less than 14" and weigh less than X amount...
This guy's pistol weighed around 5-6 pounds. Plus, the action was from a rifle...He didn't say if it was bought for the sole purpose of customizing it to pistol form or not.

A discussion ensued between several club members about the legality of such a creature...I want the straight 411 before our next meeting. Anybody have the regulations handy?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
...so he basically had a rifle that was not designed to be fired from the shoulder?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...so he basically had a rifle that was not designed to be fired from the shoulder?

That would be correct.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever it was was likely registered as a rifle(and still is a rifle).  As long as the Barrel is 16+ and the OAL is 26+, it doesn't legally need a stock.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A discussion ensued between several club members about the legality of such a creature...I want the straight 411 before our next meeting. Anybody have the regulations handy?

Well, if it's a bolt action, and he built it off a bare reciever, he's golden. The 50 oz. rule only applies to semi-autos.

If it's not a semi auto, it would be like a Thompson contender or whatever, aye?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top