Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/17/2003 8:25:48 AM EDT
I have a UDT SEAL instructor's navy blue t-shirt with the UDT SEAL symbol over the left breast. I bought it several years ago from Brigade Quartermaster's before hearing about fake SEALs or posers. I sometimes wear it when
I go running at night and during work outs at home.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Who cares?

I have a Hanes Beefy-T shirt...and I never was beefy...

Really. Who gives a fuck?  Are you pretending to be a SEAL?  Are you telling people YOU are a SEAL?  

Or did you see a cool t-shirt and buy it.

Scott
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you can wear any short you like.
I also think that if someone asks you if you are/were a S.E.A.L. instructor and you are not/were not you should tell them "No it's just a shirt I bought"
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm quilty of wearing a FBI t-shirt to gunshows to freak out the tin-foil hat folks.

I would wear a BATFE shirt, but I don't want to get jumped in the parking lot...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not a  problem for me as I occasionally wear something like that when I work out, it's good for motivation.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
And from the other side of the aisle:

I have a Special Forces, (Mess with the Best, Die Like the Rest) offical cap, presented to me by the local Special Forces chapter for the range officer work at their yearly picnics.

It hangs on my gun rack over the mantel in my home, but has never been worn. Lest someone see me in it and "assume" I was in Special Forces.

I'm damn proud of it, but would never dis-respect what it represents by wearing it.

You EARN the right to wear items like these, the respect these items represent is NOT given to to ya, just 'cus you had the money to buy it.

You dis-respect every SEAL TEAM member by wearing their clothing and are no better than "fakes" in my book.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL...  Showing support/enthusiasm for a thing is to disrespect it?  
Yeah...ok...

You never wear pro-sport parafernalia, do you?  Race teams, baseball hats, basketball jerzeys, football shirts/coats/hats...none of that stuff eh?

You never wear a beer-logo t-shirt do ya?  Unless you work there, youd be disrespectin' the brand name...

yadda yadda yadda....
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#8]
So I should tell all the posers wearing Packer and other NFL jersies at work to take them off?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So I should tell all the posers wearing Packer and other NFL jersies at work to take them off?

Well did they EARN that stuff??!?!

huh?  oh...sorry.

Let's see...
My money pays for the training and the gear...
My money pays for a t-shirt related to the program.  I think it's a cool shirt.
Someone's gonna tell me I can't wear a cool shirt in support of a cool program funded by MY Money?  

"I don't think so, Tim."

If ya wanna enshrine your USN Gym shorts like some holy relic, that's cool, but hey, I'm wearin' my stuff.  That's what I bought it for, that's what the guy who gave it to me meant for me to do with it.

Scott
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was in the army in Denmark and my best friend was in the army in Israel we'd often trade stuff - I sent him a sweatshirt with the my regimental crest and he sent me the same, etc.  He also got to be the only Israeli with a jacket in the cool new Danish camo in the 1980s

I proudly wore the sweatshirt with a picture of a Merkava and his unit's insignia.  Wearing it because a friend gave it to me is cool - wearing it to try to make people think that I was an Israeli tank commander is weak.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:You never wear pro-sport parafernalia, do you? Race teams, baseball hats, basketball jerzeys, football shirts/coats/hats...none of that stuff eh?

You never wear a beer-logo t-shirt do ya? Unless you work there, youd be disrespectin' the brand name...

This is exactly what I'm refering to: (besides the fact I don't wear sports team paraphenalia), you jerks are now claimimg that some asshole tight-end or QB, should be entitled to the same respect as someone who laid their life on the line for our country.

I don't think so, and face it anyone who would respond in this manner, doesn't have clue what RESPECT or the words DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY is in the first place....

Mike
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to wear a wooly-pully sweater that had "Royal Marine Commando" patches on it.
I traded for it, while training in Scotland.
I wore it often.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:You never wear pro-sport parafernalia, do you? Race teams, baseball hats, basketball jerzeys, football shirts/coats/hats...none of that stuff eh?

You never wear a beer-logo t-shirt do ya? Unless you work there, youd be disrespectin' the brand name...

This is exactly what I'm refering to: (besides the fact I don't wear sports team paraphenalia), you jerks are now claimimg that some asshole tight-end or QB, should be entitled to the same respect as someone who laid their life on the line for our country.

I don't think so, and face it anyone who would respond in this manner, doesn't have clue what RESPECT or the words DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY is in the first place....

Mike

This is so like the "I wore my M65 jacket the other day" thread.

Lessee...

We pay taxes...

Taxes go to the government...

The government give the money to the military...

The military uses the money to buy clothes...

Someone buys those clothes from the military...

You pay for it twice...

You wear it without ever once claiming to be part of it...

I fail to see anything wrong with that. I do think it is tacky though and wouldnt do it myself.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Uh...so we're "jerks" now.

OK MR. DICKWEED who doesn't know shit about who the fuck he's talking to.  You wanna get inflammatory, I can do that too.

I KNOW WHAT THE FUCK DUTY HONOR AND COUNTRY IS ALL ABOUT.  I SERVED DURING DESERT STORM AND SOMALIA YOU FUCKIN WASTE.  WHEN I GIVE FRIENDS INSIGNIA SHIT, THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT WITH IT, BUT I GAVE IT TO THEM TO WEAR!  I PUT MY LIFE IN THE KITTY SO THAT THEY COULD WEAR WHAT THE FUCK EVER GOD-DAMNED FUCKING COTTON THREADS THEY FUCKING PLEASED.

Fuck you.
Jerk.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a t-shirt given to me by a SOCOM/SPECWAR counter-terrorism unit, I also have a baseball cap given to me by the US Marshal Service and another baseball cap given to me by the US Secret Service along with a coffee cup from the US Secret Service too. All were given to me by official personnel and combined units as a "Thank You" for services rendered to all of them without asking anything in return. I was told by the US Marshal Service that they would be offended only if I DID NOT wear what was given to me. They said that, while I may not be an official member of the service, that I was still a valuable part of their team for my contributions of knowledge and training.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You EARN the right to wear items like these, the respect these items represent is NOT given to to ya, just 'cus you had the money to buy it.

Why would they give you a hat that would be a sign of disrespect towards them if you were to actually wear it?  

I mean, did they say, "Take charge of this cover and see that it never rests upon the head of anybody that isn't special forces!"

Or was it more like, "We don't have any money to actually pay you - but we found this old hat." ?

If I see someone wearing a FBI hat, Navy SEAL t-shirt, or even USMC *ARPAT - I don't automatically assume that's what they are - in fact, I think quite the opposite.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they give you a hat that would be a sign of disrespect towards them if you were to actually wear it?  

I mean, did they say, "Take charge of this cover and see that it never rests upon the head of anybody that isn't special forces!"

Or was it more like, "We don't have any money to actually pay you - but we found this old hat." ?

If I see someone wearing a FBI hat, Navy SEAL t-shirt, or even USMC *ARPAT - I don't automatically assume that's what they are - in fact, I think quite the opposite.

hmmmmm How friggin petty is this Fing thread I have a shirt that says PENTAGON from my wifes friend SHE works there I have never been there BUT I wear the shirt   I wonder what that means  I also have one that says Army reserve [or something like that ] with a list of all the cool stuff they did after 9/11. I was never in the Army should I burn this stuff or  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree with DKProf (and others).  If you're wearing it to show respect or just because you like the shirt it's okay.  If you're wearing a shirt/hat/etc. to fool people into believing you've "been there, done that", than you're a fuck-wad.

I've also got a NYPD shirt I've worn after 9/11 to honor the fallen members.  Noone here in STL, MO has mistaken me for a vacationing NY cop.  Hell, if they didn't want people wearing this stuff, they wouldn't sell it online or in gift shops (the authorized stuff at least).  This stuff is made for the public, not for the real deal.  I would be surprised to see a REAL current or former SEAL wearing a t-shirt like that...

On the other hand, wearing actual uniform pieces with badges/patches etc. could be disrepectful since those items should be earned.  But wearing plain BDUs and other pieces probably isn't disrespectful.

Just my opinion, I hope I don't insult anyone with it...

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

I spent 4 years on active duty, and you know what? No piece of clothing defines that experience for me.  

You think it's your place to tell me I don't understand respect, duty, honor, country? Do you know me? Don't you think you're throwing around some pretty harsh words towards people that you know nothing about?

It's too bad that your personal concept of respect and duty is wrapped up in a piece of clothing. That says a great deal about your self concept and your insecurities.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Wear whatever you want but, know this, there are some Guys' out there that will beat your ass for not "having earned it".

If you lie, and they'll know, about being a Marine or Recon or a Seal..., I personally have knocked a guy out for that, only because he started arguing with me and told me I was full of shit.

My .02

Sgt. U.S.M.C.
Active duty 5 yrs. 3 mos. 23 days
86-91
Operation Just Cause
Operation Sharp Edge
Desert Shield/Storm

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you lie, and they'll know, about being a Marine or Recon or a Seal..., I personally have knocked a guy out for that, only because he started arguing with me and told me I was full of shit.

Absolutely!  No one here is defending the act of posing as a Marine, SEAL, etc...  There is no excuse for that type of low-life.

Military fakers should be put into their place IMHO.

What we're talking about here is whether it is okay to wear a t-shirt/hat/etc.

Wear whatever you want but, know this, there are some Guys' out there that will beat your ass for not "having earned it".

That's pretty F'ed up.  If some 'badass' will kick some poor kids ass for wearing a SEAL t-shirt, that guy is no-longer worthy of any respect in my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for those who have served this country.  But physically hurting someone for wearing a shirt is simply the work of a bully.  

On the other hand, I've never worn any military shirts/hats/etc., but if I did and was asked to remove it by someone who had BTDT, I would respectfully comply.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

<cut for brevity>

"Guys'" is plural possesive. Either way. We arent debating whether someone will try to hurt you for wearing it, and yes I do mean try. We are/were talking about whether it is right.

For the record. If some guy tried to beat up a kid for wearing a t-shirt and not claiming ANYTHING they dont deserve respect.

I also fail to see where he said anything about lying as to whether he "earned" it or not. I do think that it isnt right to pose etc., I also think it's pathetic.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#23]
There is a big difference between Hoorah shirts, things with tridents, EGA, ranger tabs, or long tabs etc on them and things that are worn as uniforms.  They "instructors shirts" are official uniforms for BUDS instructors, you would probably asked to remove it if you were wearing it around Coronado or Little Creek.

Some people will never understand the earning of those things as simple as badges and uniforms, its just not in their nature.  I am more than sure if they would have actually done some of those things they would be allot more understanding, but since most have not they get offended by those who have pointing it out.

To those who say they wouldn't respect some who sees things worth fighting for.  I don't think they honestly care if you respect them or not, since they are the ones on that preverbal wall doing what many of you cannot or won't do.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#24]
The solution is simple.  Light the shirt on fire while wearing it and if you survive you are forgiven.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
There is a big difference between Hoorah shirts, things with tridents, EGA, ranger tabs, or long tabs etc on them and things that are worn as uniforms.  They "instructors shirts" are official uniforms for BUDS instructors, you would probably asked to remove it if you were wearing it around Coronado or Little Creek.

Good point. I figured that people would have the common sense and tack not to though. Especially if it is part of an uniform.

Some people will never understand the earning of those things as simple as badges and uniforms, its just not in their nature.  I am more than sure if they would have actually done some of those things they would be allot more understanding, but since most have not they get offended by those who have pointing it out.

Does the badge have the meaning/feeling or the knowledge that you actually earned it? I dont think it is right to wear them, but again, that's not what we were talking about.

To those who say they wouldn't respect some who sees things worth fighting for.  I don't think they honestly care if you respect them or not, since they are the ones on that preverbal wall doing what many of you cannot or won't do.

Some things arent worth fighting about. One of them would be pieces of clothing. Attitude [read posers] is/are a different story.

It takes more maturity to ignore it or just say something than it does to attack. By your standard if a 10 y/o kid was wearing a BDU jacket, it would be ok to kick his ass because he doesnt "deserve" to wear it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Well, if it's part of a uniform, I can understand why someone would get upset.

Some people will never understand the earning of those things as simple as pieces badges and uniforms, its just not in their nature.  I am more than sure if they would have actually done some of those things they would be allot more understanding, but since most have not they get offended by those who have pointing it out.

Personally, I don't think there is anything SIMPLE about earning those badges, and I would not disrepect those men by wearing what I did not earn.

Here's where we differ.  There's a difference in feeling something is worth 'fighting for' and randomly kicking some poor saps ass for wearing a shirt that says [insert your branch/unit/etc here].  And trust me, it would NOT be a fight in most cases, it would be kicking some guys ass, because most folks who wear these things in public (no offense guys) aren't all that capable of defending themselves in a 'fair' fight.

Why not just kindly ask the fellow to never wear it again, and explain why you feel that way?

If you just beat someone senseless for wearing a t-shirt (with no warning) you are a thug, plain and simple.  At that point, you might as well be a gangmember beating a guy for wearing his colors.  In that case I no longer care what you've done for this country, because beating a 'defenseless' civilian for 'offending' you is not appropriate behavior for someone who swore to protect said civilian...

On the other hand, if you want to beat a fakers, enjoy!

I don't mean any offense with this, I just don't approve of anyone picking on someone smaller/weaker than them for offending the other...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't think anyone would off the bat just attack someone for either unwittingly doing something or even for consciously being a "poser."   But I know allot that would ask/call someone on wearing a uniform.  If someone was just wearing a hoorah shirt, than I really couldn't even see anyone even asking someone about it, unless it was something like that portrayed them as a member of the various associations or currently serving.  Just like if someone was wearing a FDNY or NYPD T-shirt no off the bat thinks they are a member of that organization.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#28]
wear whatever you want dude, its a free country. kinda ironic that people who fight for freedom would try to deny you the right to wear a fuckin piece of cotton aint it?

i may not have the credentials some of yall do, but i am active duty military and i wouldve give two shits if someone wore a shirt from my command
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don't think anyone would off the bat just attack someone for either unwittingly doing something or even for consciously being a "poser."   But I know allot that would ask/call someone on wearing a uniform.  If someone was just wearing a hoorah shirt, than I really couldn't even see anyone even asking someone about it, unless it was something like that portrayed them as a member of the various associations or currently serving.  Just like if someone was wearing a FDNY or NYPD T-shirt no off the bat thinks they are a member of that organization.

Cant argue with you but that isnt exactly the way you came off in your other post.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

My .02

Sgt. U.S.M.C.
Active duty 5 yrs. 3 mos. 23 days
86-91
Operation Just Cause
Operation Sharp Edge
Desert Shield/Storm

Semper Fi

Thanks for your service anyway
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#32]
You will never have found anywhere me saying that someone should be attacked for even being a poser.  It does happen though, its just like homosexuals shouldn't be attacked for being homosexuals, but it happens.

I have always maintained people should not wear uniforms they don't rate.  I know allot people take offense to that, but I would never wear anything someone may think that I am when I am not. I really don't understand why people would.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I have always maintained people should not wear uniforms they don't rate.  I know allot people take offense to that, but I would never wear anything someone may think that I am when I am not. I really don't understand why people would.

I agree.  Whether you are pretending to be a doctor, lawyer, fireman, cop, etc., you've got some issues...  Obviously the biggest offense would be to those that actually put their lives on the line for others (Mil., LE, firemen, etc.).

In the end, I feel sorry for folks that have to pretend to be something they are not.  I guess the ultimate punishment for them is their own self-loathing.  Even an ass-whoopin' isn't as bad as that...

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a confession, too:

I buy those Trojan extra-large condoms, even though I'm not qualified to wear them.  They just make me feel better when I walk through the checkout line.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
When I was a kid I used to safety pin a beach towel around my neck and pretend I was Superman or Batman.

People understood the difference between 'me' and the people I was pretending to be.

Yea but you dont have that split personality!

You don't talk to yourself do you?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's basically the story on my gear, but I'm proud to say that they thought enough of what they got from me to think of a gift.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I "corrected" an individual I saw walking around Raceway Park, while wearing MARPAT trousers, MARPAT boots, and a USMC shirt emblazoned with: "pain is just weakness leaving the body". (or something to that effect)
I hated to see it, so I pulled him to the side (he was with his dad) and I gave him a little counseling.
He seemed a bit frightened, given who I identified myself to be, and where he was coming from.
Oh, the perpetrator in this case?

A young Marine, straight out of Parris Island, and full of pride.   But unfortunately out of uniform, and wearing improper libo attire.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a problem. The problem would be if you were pretending that you earned that shirt. THEN there would be a problem.

Say, do we have any former/active SEALs/special forces troops here?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Next time some the Marine Reserve wants some bucks from me for their Toys for Tots I'll print this f-ing thread out and hand it to them.

I would hope so, than MarForRes would stop wasting time with it.  What started out as a program to buy toys for orphans and those few vets who had just returned from WWII.  Has now morphed into something that will get people relieved for if not done right.   But in the end your not hurting the Marine Corps by not giving the money, but poor kids.

But I wish some would take some classes on comprehension.  There is difference between a "hoorah shit" and a uniform. The SEAL instructor shirts are actual uniforms, there are regs that those at Coronado have to follow in wearing them.  Its not just a shirt that has a trident on it, but one that is used to ID SEAL instructors.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
But I wish some would take some classes on comprehension.  There is difference between a "hoorah shit" and a uniform. The SEAL instructor shirts are actual uniforms, there are regs that those at Coronado have to follow in wearing them.  Its not just a shirt that has a trident on it, but one that is used to ID SEAL instructors.

Not everyone lives in Coronado though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh so uniforms cease to be uniforms because of location?  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone know where I can get a hat or shirt with "REMF" on it? I earned it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You said and I quote.

Quoted:
There is a big difference between Hoorah shirts, things with tridents, EGA, ranger tabs, or long tabs etc on them and things that are worn as uniforms. They "instructors shirts" are official uniforms for BUDS instructors, you would probably asked to remove it if you were wearing it around Coronado or Little Creek.

Those nasty little "if"s eh?

BDUs are uniforms. Again, I can see not wearing them near a base but essentially they are still just a camo jacket and pants.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#45]
The reason you would be asked to remove it if at Coronado or Little Creek is that is where almost all the SEALs are at.  SEALs are pretty big into telling non-SEALs they shouldn't wear Budweisers.

That was pretty easy now wasn't it, I bet if you would have thought about it for a minute you wouldn't have asked.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#46]
The Army hands out free t-shirts like candy.

As long as you're not actually pretending to be a veteran, it's fine. 95% of the time it is someone who is supporting the military.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The Army hands out free t-shirts like candy.

As long as you're not actually pretending to be a veteran, it's fine. 95% of the time it is someone who is supporting the military.

Yep so does everyone else and no one has a problem with people wearing them since they fall into the previously list "Hoorah or Hooah" shirts.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The reason you would be asked to remove it if at Coronado or Little Creek is that is where almost all the SEALs are at.  SEALs are pretty big into telling non-SEALs they shouldn't wear Budweisers.

That was pretty easy now wasn't it, I bet if you would have thought about it for a minute you wouldn't have asked.

Yes EXACTLY. I dont appreciate the snide remark though. I know exactly what I was saying.

Then you said:

Quoted:
But I wish some would take some classes on comprehension. There is difference between a "hoorah shit" and a uniform. The SEAL instructor shirts are actual uniforms, there are regs that those at Coronado have to follow in wearing them. Its not just a shirt that has a trident on it, but one that is used to ID SEAL instructors.

And I said:

Not everyone lives in Coronado

And then you said:

That is where you went off track. I didnt say they ceased to be uniforms. I was saying that not everyone lives in Coronado, so conceivably someone could wear one of those shirts in a different location and it would be O.K. [assuming they are not posers].

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#49]
No, it is still a uniform no matter where you are at.  The reason you would be more likely to asked not to wear it at Coronado or Little Creak is that is were most SEALs are at.  However, I am sure almost any where you wear it and an actual SEAL saw it, it would be a topic of conversation.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#50]
...more importantly, all of you guys who walk around dressed up as Junior Commandos really look darn silly.
Granted, it does go well with your mullets, though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top