Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2001 1:36:33 PM EDT
[img]http://images.ibsys.com/2001/0403/570114.jpg[/img]

Anyone else fascinated about Nuclear... stuff?

I am.

I always screwed up in school, brought home D's and mostly F's..

When it came time to talk about Chernobyl.. I was teaching the teacher things and people thought I had snapped, here was Frank the slacker that always had a guitar with him and wore a camo jacket and never showed up for class a god damn expect on Nuclear power plants!

My teacher actually called my parents and wondered what was wrong with me, LOL!

So anyways... with the recent power crisis in CA (and it is a crisis, my damn power went out when I was in the middle of a game of tribes 2!) I wanted to look up info about Rancho Seco.

A power plant near Sacramento I've been too 100 times.

Never inside... as soon as you stop at the outside gate an armed guard makes his way towards you.

I swear... something is wrong with me.. when I go to Rancho Seco I just sit there and stare at the two giant towers... something.. magical about them... I just... stare at them.. I don't know why...

[img]http://www.outland.cc/~gyoung/pictures/sailing/seco_sunset.jpg[/img]

Anyways... I wanted more info on Rancho Seco, and I think I'm gonna take a trip out there again with my Camera.

I cannot find any detailed photos on Rancho Seco! Anyone know where I can get some? Outside photos, construction photos, inside photos, inside of the reactor photos... operation photos.. man I want it all, it is some weird fetish I need to itch.

Can ya help a brotha out?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Frank, I am always cautious about stories that start like this, but this is no shit!
When I was in high school I got a job at a nuclear power plant that was being built in Nebraska for the summer.
My job was to go out to a fenced area with a truck.  On the back of the truck was a mini crane, and we loaded long yellow boxes on to the truck and drove them into the lower level of the reactor building. There we waited for a
crane to be lowered,we hooked up the boxes and sent them to the upper level of the reactor building. An empty box would return.  A good day was six trips, most days four or five.
The boxes contained fuel rods for the reactor.  It was in the early 70's, and I still can't get over how little security was involved.  No I never opened one of the boxes for a peek!
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Reactors don't use weapons grade uranium, hence the "lack" of security.

Ranco Seco was the backdrop used in the movie [b]Trigger Effect[/b], I believe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Frank, your a breast man aren't you?

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Frank, your a breast man aren't you?

Nuckles.
View Quote

NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
You have probably already checked this out, but if not, this seems cool....
[url]http://www.nukeworker.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Frank, you new to the team? Naw - I'm with tour group but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Anyone else fascinated about Nuclear... stuff?

I am.
View Quote

As Mr.Burns on the Simpsons would say while touching his finger tips together, "Excellent!".

FrankTheSpank, Mr.Burns would be proud of you!

-RoadDog

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
oh har har har

and actually I'm more of a legs and ass man [:)]

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder what would happen if ya fell into that: [img]http://www.nukeworker.com/nuke_facilities/us_plants/region3/davis_besse/ASSEMBLY.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to work in Sacto in the early to mid-80s for a tree trimming outfit.  Part of the job was dumping the chipped brush every morning.  So out to the dump in a dump truck at around dawn.  Off in the distance you could see Rancho Seco, and the towers and the steam coming out of them, filling that corner of the sky.  Something very ominous about them, but very cool at the same time.

I also liked driving out closer to the plant and seeing the phone pole type structures with the sirens on them.  Probably if you hear the siren . . . it's too late . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top