Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2003 7:02:46 PM EDT
Ok, I'm having a rather annoying problem with the exhaust vent in my bathroom.
A couple of weeks ago, it started continuously dripping water (about 3-9 second intervals).

I went up into the attic, and there is no sign of wetness around where the vent is. The vent just blows the air in the bathroom up into the attic.

What is going on here? How can I fix it? This is getting extremely aggravating.

Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to run that thing so it vents outside. HomeDepot and Lowes sell kits that will connect to the fans flange and have light weight flex hosing to a thing that gets cut into the side of the house. There's a flapper valve there that keeps the air from going backwards.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You are getting condensation from the warm moist "bathroom" air hitting the cold "Attic" air. The mosture "comes out"(condenses) and drips back in to Your bathroom. This is why You >ALWAYS< vent to the outside. Fix the vent so that it vents outside(not too far away, and downhill) and Your troubles will be over. Use insulated duct if You can.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I find it odd though that this problem just started. It never did that before. I believe it started when my parents came to visit, and left the fan on overnight accidentally. I don't know for sure though, it may have nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome guys, that makes sense. Specially since it's been getting colder lately.

Quoted:
You are getting condensation from the warm moist "bathroom" air hitting the cold "Attic" air. The mosture "comes out"(condenses) and drips back in to Your bathroom. This is why You >ALWAYS< vent to the outside. Fix the vent so that it vents outside(not too far away, and downhill) and Your troubles will be over. Use insulated duct if You can.

Tall Shadow

Tail Shadow, can you specify how I'm supposed to run it downhill? I'm not being sarcastic, but I don't get it. The vent is on the ceiling, and in order to get to the roof, wouldn't it go up? I'm confused.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Running it up through the roof is a bad idea.

Tall_Shadow is recomending running it out through an exterior wall. You can also vent it out through the soffit, the underside of the overhang, but that is a bit harder. You should use rigid pipe rather than flex-duct, and throw a batt of insulation over it to keep it warm. As suggested, a slight downhill angle is a good idea.

If venting it out is not an option, go up in the attic and make sure the tube only extends above the insulation about six inches. That wil stop the dripping. If the end of the pipe is close to the roof sheeting, shorten it as much as possible and put an elbow at the top to direct the airflow toward a more open part of the attic.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#6]
vent out roof or sidewall- use INSULATED ducting and be sure to run your fan for like 20 min after your done with the shower/bath /whatever.  Had the EXACT same thing with my vented-thru-roof fan and it turned out the vent pipe was not insulated-the condensation built up enough to finally be able to drip back thru the vent itself- very messy - be sure to check the insulation around the fan- it is likley soaked.  replace it
I have had no problems since insulating the pipe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top