Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 4:42:45 PM EDT
Just watched a show on British spies during WWII about how agents of the SOE would pass information using carrier pigeons. Sometimes the pigeons would carry documents over distances of 20 miles. My question is, how in the heck would the pigeon know where to bring the message? I'm guessing the destination was always the birds home/cage, and the agent would let the bird go from wherever his position was and the bird would instinctively fly to it's cage. The cage was kept near a radio/signaling center. Anyone else have an explanation?  

Some of the pigeons were awarded medals after being shot up by the Germans.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm guessing the destination was always the birds home/cage, and the agent would let the bird go from wherever his position was and the bird would instinctively fly to it's cage.

That's exactly how it works.

NsB
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm guessing the destination was always the birds home/cage, and the agent would let the bird go from wherever his position was and the bird would instinctively fly to it's cage.

NsB

so how would two agents send pigeons back and forth?
are the pigeons aware that there are two "homes" and always go to the other one?
do the agents meet up and switch birds after every flight?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I read about this one time. The agent would take a 1/2 dozen or so with him and they would fly back home with the info.
I dont think home base sent anything back.

It was a one way deal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NsB

so how would two agents send pigeons back and forth?
are the pigeons aware that there are two "homes" and always go to the other one?
do the agents meet up and switch birds after every flight?

When you release a pigeon it goes back to what he considers Home, and only to that place. So if you want to have a chat (so to speak) you have to have several pigeons at each location.
Place A has to have pigeons raised on place B (so they go back there) and viceversa.

I guess at some point pigeons are exchanged so they can be reused.

NsB

Soldiers at X position, only could send messages, as no pigeon would go back to that particular position, as they were not raised there.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
alright.. makes sense

It would work good between soldiers and their HQ but wouldnt work too good for a lone special agent carrying 5-6 pigeons.. not very tactical

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wouldnt work too good for a lone special agent carrying 5-6 pigeons.. not very tactical

You can always parkerize them

NsB
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
wouldnt work too good for a lone special agent carrying 5-6 pigeons.. not very tactical

NsB

"Guchi-Flage"
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NsB

Wrap the fusela
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top