Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2003 8:17:11 PM EDT
Geez, when I was a kid we played army all day long. Sometimes we used our wiffle bats for our rifles. One Christmas I got a Sgt. Saunders (from Combat) Thompson Machine Gun for a gift). We'd "patrol" the neighborhood going through back yards, alleys, fields, etc.  Sometimes we even found ourselves "pinned down"
on a bank in a creek bed. We battled many an imaginary jap or kraut depending on how we felt that particular day. It was usually japs though.

I never see kids doing those things today in any neighborhood. What's up with that?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sad isn't it...
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm 24, we played kick the can, and then stalk
then in our early teens (pre drivers licenses) we played gun stalk with what ever toy guns we had, either cap guns of the one with the little gear thing that made noise when pulling the trigger. Now the overly PC zero tolerance liberal crap is ending that. Can kids even buy toy guns anymore?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I seem them playing it all the time...

... on computer.

Look what the top selling action games in the country have been.

Toy guns and water pistols cannot compete with that and paint ball guns are too expensive for the average kids just to play with in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to play with BB guns.. cant feel it too bad through clothing.. jeans eliminate almost anything.. "cheap paintball"
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Geez, when I was a kid we played army all day long. Sometimes we used our wiffle bats for our rifles. One Christmas I got a Sgt. Saunders (from Combat) Thompson Machine Gun for a gift). We'd "patrol" the neighborhood going through back yards, alleys, fields, etc.  Sometimes we even found ourselves "pinned down"
on a bank in a creek bed. We battled many an imaginary jap or kraut depending on how we felt that particular day. It was usually japs though.

I never see kids doing those things today in any neighborhood. What's up with that?

You apparently dont talk to many kids now do you?

We use to have huge capture the flag style  games involving 20+ people all the way up till high school (this was only a couple years ago). Now it's mostly computer games. Ever hear of Counter Strike, Medal of Honor, Doom, Quake, Rainbow Six, Americas Army to name a few.

Playing pretend games is something we never  did, putting on camo and playing capture the flag in the woods is much more fun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Try something like that today and you'd have a SWAT team on site in 5 minutes flat and the kids face down with MP5's at their heads.

Not to mention the fact that "PC Police" would have a the kids in a re-education camp for thinking such "antisocial" thoughts and then having the audacity to actually act them out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Their afraid of being arrested or shot by one of the many JBT's running around out there. Waving a toy gun around WILL get a kid arrested, and his mother put in jail as seen in lorain a few weeks ago.

Welcome to our "free" country. The only way it will ever be free again is after many JBTs and politicians die.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Try something like that today and you'd have a SWAT team on site in 5 minutes flat and the kids face down with MP5's at their heads.

Not to mention the fact that "PC Police" would have a the kids in a re-education camp for thinking such "antisocial" thoughts and then having the audacity to actually act them out.

We don't have too much of that in this state.

The simple fact is that "playing army" usually dissolves into a argument over who shot who, who is dead, since you had no way to track. At least that was how it always ended when I tried it. We tried escalating up to dirt clods just trying to find something that would leave a clear mark, never found a satisfactory solution.

With the video games there is no trouble keeping score. You know who one and who lost and there is no arguing over it, no cheating. And the splatter, the weapons, the effects are all far more real than playing pretend.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Their afraid of being arrested or shot by one of the many JBT's running around out there. Waving a toy gun around WILL get a kid arrested, and his mother put in jail as seen in lorain a few weeks ago.

Welcome to our "free" country. The only way it will ever be free again is after many JBTs and politicians die.

I go back to my earlier statement in this thread (but in a much more somber way now)

Sad isn't it...

I remember the days when you could buy a M-16 toy that actually looked like one and the muzzle tip WASN'T painted day-glow orange...
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
LOTS of kids 'play army'... Just instead of playing it with toys, they play it with paintball guns.
Not a game you can play on a block.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I seem to have played it enough back in the day for all the kids in my neighborhood
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
LOTS of kids 'play army'... Just instead of playing it with toys, they play it with paintball guns.

Last paintball game I went to the kids, while there, were quite outnumbered by the adults.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
It isn't PC. Even some of the wargame simulations on the computer are getting bad press.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

... Steve? Is that you?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last paintball game I went to the kids, while there, were quite outnumbered by the adults.

What can I say? It's an all-ages game
I see kids ages 9+ at paintball games. I guess it's what kids play after they grow out of BS cartoons. There ain't no growing out of paintball, there's only airsoft and even with their differences they're still in the same sport catagory.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm gonna have to agree there.  
Here in Socal PRK, a buddy of mine and some church friends (30+ kids) started a game of "Fugitive." Basically in this version of "Army" you play at night and the game begins in the park, but the playing field is about a 5 mile radius.  The objective is not to get spotted on your way to the objective, while the other kids in cars, bikes, and on foot look for you. Basically an Escape and Evasion senario.

Well my buddy and a friend are running through the neighborhood and take cover behind a parked car on the street. Some drunk guy comes out of a house and spots them, and tries to detain them. The 5'9" drunk attempts to grab my 6'1" football player friend by the collar but can't move him.

Not more than 30 seconds later, 5 Sheriffs in black and whites pull up and also the friendly neighborhood Police Helicopter. The Police charge him with a Cerfew Violation and 50 Hours Communtity service! Luckily, his dad also is a sheriff and takes care of it.

Fortunately for me I didn't accept his invitation to play "Army" that night. I stayed home to clean my AR because we were going to go shooting with his dad the next day!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Kids now days are indoors playing their fancy console and pc games.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not more than 30 seconds later, 5 Sheriffs in black and whites pull up and also the friendly neighborhood Police Helicopter. The Police charge him with a Cerfew Violation and 50 Hours Communtity service! Luckily, his dad also is a sheriff and takes care of it.

1. They knew there was a curfew and they went out anyway.

2. The police can give out punishments? I always My firends always had to go before a judge.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#19]
the kids play army in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have a strong feeling this is one of the big reasons there are a lot of portly kids running around.

Hell when a was a lad i used to go on all day bike trips across town usualy 20 miles or better.  
Now days my nephues that live half a mile from me. Far from any busy traffic. Piss and moan when i refuse to put their bikes in the back of my truck and DRIVE them back home.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:41:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't give up yet on all kids. My 11 yr old son and his buddies still play Army the old fashioned way. The plastic AR's are still out there to be found, they're just scaled down, I guess as to not be confused with a real one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Toy gun hell!!!! Waiving a friggin chicken finger will get you a Flash Bang and shackles!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#23]
The pussing down of America...

www.news-press.com/news/local_state/031111zerotolerance.html

This happened in Fla but you know it's going on through out the States.

Teen expelled for violent stick-figure drawing

By JENNIFER BOOTH REED, [email protected]
Published by news-press.com on November 11, 2003

Sixteen-year-old Ryan Richter got kicked out of school Monday morning for a stick-figure drawing that another student thought was a violent threat.

Richter, a LaBelle High School sophomore, sketched a figure shooting another figure. He did the sketch in a recent geometry class and passed it along to a friend and thought nothing else of it.

The classroom doodling, however, got him suspended for a week and as of Monday’s disciplinary hearing, got him kicked out of LaBelle High and recommended for a 45-day stint in Hendry County’s alternative high school.

Richter, his father, Charles Richter, and mother, Michael Ross, say this is a case of a zero-tolerance policy gone awry.

“We were just joking around,” Richter said of himself and the friend who initially saw the drawing.

A student told school authorities that Richter said the dead stick figure was a direct reference to someone and the pony-tailed shooter was a depiction of himself, according to Richter’s account of Monday’s meeting. Richter, who wears his black hair in a pony tail, said the stick-figure shooter wasn’t him and the victim wasn’t anyone at his school.

The school principal referred all calls to Superintendent Thomas Conner. Conner said he can’t comment on the case directly because it’s a confidential student matter. But he did say school officials take threats of violence seriously.

“We have not only a moral but a legislative responsibility to all the students,” Conner said, referring to federal and state laws dealing student violence.

Richter’s artwork does have a violent bent, his parents said. He likes to draw a cartoon character he calls “Little Paranoid Happy Dude*,” whose personality can snap from happy-go-lucky to raging mad.

But the elder Richter and Ross don’t think their son has problems. They say he’s a driven young man who wants to be an architect and finish high school early so he can start college.

“His cartoons are his escape from everything,” Ross said. “(School administrators) scanned their little rule book. They didn’t look at the kid behind the rule book.”

The rule books — student codes of conduct — have gotten tough on violence, threats of violence and potential violence ever since the 1999 shootings at Columbine High School in Colorado. State and federal laws support strict discipline for students who break those codes, Conner said.

“I think everybody’s awareness level is a little bit higher, and that’s positive. We look at it from a preventative mode,” Conner said.

He said even before lawmakers passed zero tolerance laws, his district was tough on violence and threats.

Lee County’s zero tolerance rules are similarly strict, according to a review of the district’s student code of conduct. Punishments for fights, threats or weapons violations range from detention to suspension to expulsion, depending on the seriousness of the offense.

Zero tolerance rules have drawn considerable debate in recent years.

Lee County’s Estero High gained national notoriety in 2001 when Principal Fred Bode banned senior Lindsay Brown from graduation because she had a steak knife in her car. School district policies forbid students from having knives on campus.

Conner said he doesn’t think policies have gone too far.

“We certainly have more of a responsibility today for the safety and the security of the students we serve,” Conner said.

If Richter goes to the alternative high school, a group of educators and counselors will evaluate him to see whether he has emotional or other problems. That’s a policy applied to all students sent to the program, Conner said.

Students receive counseling if they need it, he added.

Richter and his parents don’t want him to go to the alternative program because they are afraid the assignment will tarnish his record.

“Granted there are things he’s done wrong here that could be disrupting the class,” Charles Richter said of the in-class doodling.

“But it didn’t warrant expulsion,” Ross added.

*Shitfire!!! We got of ton of them types here...!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#24]
My kids play it, and I see others in the area playing similar games.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It would appear, Airwolf, that you got the message, loud, and clear........

Just curious, what put you over the top, anything in particular??
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I remember when I was a kid a friends dad made him a M1 replica which looked almost real. We used to run around the neighborhood playing army. I could only imagine what would happen now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#27]
my son tells me at school if he even makes a play gun out of his fingers and gets caught its detention time :(
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a strong feeling this is one of the big reasons there are a lot of portly kids running around.

Yup!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#29]

I never see kids playing "army" nowadays.  

All you have to do is look here-----><-----
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would appear, Airwolf, that you got the message, loud, and clear........

Just curious, what put you over the top, anything in particular??

Nothing in particular.  2 years of "living" on boards like ARFcom, The Firing Line, The High Road, GlockTalk, Full-Auto etc, etc etc and getting good at looking at multiple on-line news sources (rather than the bullshit that's offered as "news" on the boob-tube).

Everyday there is another report that just makes me go "WHAT THE FUCK?!?".  Every day.  Day after day.  The stuff that Joe Sheeple never hears or reads about.  The stuff that will NEVER get a second of airtime on the networks and if it does it will be spun so hard that it will bear no resemblance to the event that took place.

If I hadn't went on line a few days after 9/11 to find out the answer to a seemingly simple question: "What do I have to do to purchase a gun in California" I would still be one of the batteries in the Matrix
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#31]
In my neighborhood on the north edge of Phoenix there is a group of neighborhood boys in the seven to ten or so age range, about a dozen of them that are playing war almost every day.  They have a pretty good mix of toy weapons and miscellaneous camo clothes.  When I was a kid in the 80s we played WWII, never Vietnam strangely enough, these guys are current event hounds; they play Iraq or Afghanistan.

When I come home in BDUs, carrying my LBV, armor and ruck I have to stalk from my Jeep to the front door if I don't want to be inundated in questions about gear, tactics and the Army.

It's actually pretty cool to see them at it.  I think the root cause is the fact that the leader of the group has a mom that doesn't allow TV or computer time during daylight hours.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Army was all that we used to play.  Whenever friends were over at the house, we'd raid my parent's closet and get a bunch of old boots and camo coats an junk.  Of course, I'd always get the old steel pot helmet I found at the Eglin AFB DRMO and toy M-60 :D.  Heck, we used to take toy guns to school, they didn't care.  We'd have big battles on the playground during recess.  Hard to imagine someone doing that now, only, oh, 8-10 years later, what with all the zero tolerance stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top